GDT: Game #41: Another chance to get on run

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20190106_143457_Burst01.jpg
20190106_134748.jpg

Mascot selfie with the $100 authentic EK jersey I got on clearance.
20190106_132858.jpg

Did you know Ottawa has the longest cup drought of any NHL team? 91 years and counting.
20190106_131055_Burst01.jpg

Faceoff after the first Canes goal.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
So I listened to most of that on Sirius/XM on my drive home from drill. they had the Ottowa announcers on.

They were two of the biggest dicks I've ever heard on sports radio. They seem to have a penchant for making fun of guys names. When Dougie scored, one of them went on a tirade about "how does a grown man call himself dougie? What is he like 8?!" and similar for several minutes. Then they started in on Wallmark, calling him "Walmart, the highest grossing thing down in those parts" or words to that effect.

I mean I'm all for being a dick if soembody deserves it, like Tom Wilson or something, but damn.

I guess we have the only announcers that treat opposing teams with respect.

Get a load of this snowflake :sarcasm:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It’s been nice to see this team is finally getting some secondary scoring the last four games. We’ve finally gotten some goals from guys like Faulk, McGinn, Hamilton, McKegg, Foegele, Wallmark. The scoring from those guys stepping up has been the difference maker in us winning these games.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It’s been nice to see this team is finally getting some secondary scoring the last four games. We’ve finally gotten some goals from guys like Faulk, McGinn, Hamilton, McKegg, Foegele, Wallmark. The scoring from those guys stepping up has been the difference maker in us winning these games.

Is this that "regressing to the mean" thing I was hearing about a few weeks ago? No way do I believe they will sustain it, I'm too bitter, and cynical at this point for that, but if the past week is an indicator of future success, we may have at least a long shot of making it.

Although, my preference would be for them to pick in the top 5. That will also not happen, so whatever. Just glad to see some fruit from their labor here recently.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Wallmark is a very interesting player for me. I wonder if he can really establish himself as a capable 3C in the 2nd half of this season.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just hope to Sweet Baby Jesus that we don't overpay him like Rask.

Rask put up a 21-27-48 season the year before we extended him at $4mil per year.

If Wallmark did that this year, I’d have no problem extending him for that number.

To me the Rask situation is unfortunate, but not nearly as foreseeable as some remember. There was one guy (Adam Gold?) who trashed the signing at the time, saying it was overpayment for a “3rd line center”, and we all thought he was crazy. And even HE didn’t foresee the extent of Rask’s regression to “barely NHL caliber.”

To me, that signing is a prime example of right process, wrong result.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Rask put up a 21-27-48 season the year before we extended him at $4mil per year.

If Wallmark did that this year, I’d have no problem extending him for that number.

To me the Rask situation is unfortunate, but not nearly as foreseeable as some remember. There was one guy (Adam Gold?) who trashed the signing at the time, saying it was overpayment for a “3rd line center”, and we all thought he was crazy. And even HE didn’t foresee the extent of Rask’s regression to “barely NHL caliber.”

To me, that signing is a prime example of right process, wrong result.
I give Adam all the credit in the world on that particular signing, he didn’t HATE the player, he just said the long term was completely unnecessary given Rask’s youth and relative inexperience (and having one single worthy year of that contract). They could have ridden a couple of one or two year contracts and not had the 6 year albatross wrapped around his neck.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I give Adam all the credit in the world on that particular signing, he didn’t HATE the player, he just said the long term was completely unnecessary given Rask’s youth and relative inexperience (and having one single worthy year of that contract). They could have ridden a couple of one or two year contracts and not had the 6 year albatross wrapped around his neck.

That’s why TT is still on another show me deal. In his case, he’s going to make a shitload more on this contract than he would have if he signed long term last time. It’s all a gamble, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Don’t get me wrong, excellent call on his part. But it was indeed the result of a process that’s served us pretty well otherwise. No one is complaining about Slavin and Pesce’s contracts after using the same thought process.

And I think the thought process was that if Rask never improves, he’s still worth the $4 million. A major regression to this extent, at least in my view, was practically out of the question. Even if he regressed to 35-40 points the contract wouldn’t have been quite this albatross. It’s practically truly dead money at this point.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Don’t get me wrong, excellent call on his part. But it was indeed the result of a process that’s served us pretty well otherwise. No one is complaining about Slavin and Pesce’s contracts after using the same thought process.

And I think the thought process was that if Rask never improves, he’s still worth the $4 million. A major regression to this extent, at least in my view, was practically out of the question. Even if he regressed to 35-40 points the contract wouldn’t have been quite this albatross. It’s practically truly dead money at this point.

I can't tell if Rask got that much slower (skating was never his strength), or if the league has just become that much faster. He looks like a beer league'r after a night of heavy drinking trying to keep up with everyone else.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That chart shows the fundamental flaws of shot based metrics more than anything about the teams. Not all shots are equal and distance is not the only determinant of what makes a shot good.

The last few games, we have been significantly better about creating good chances. It's not that the same old crap started going in, the team is making noticeably different players. Hamilton moving in, then moving laterally to use an opposing player to hide his pre-shot motion last night was a perfect example. He's often just been lofting clear shots in from the point. Those didn't go in. When he made it much more deceptive, it did. In the last few games we've created a lot more lateral motion and have made a lot of quick, clean passes that forced the defense and goalies to move, rather than just firing from the boards. In previous games, out close shots have been jam chances with the goalie set. Now, I'm seeing a lot more close in passing and stickwork to get the goalie un-set first. Justin Williams has been doing a lot of good work in front of the net that's disrupted things, and got a crotch goal as a result and something that would have been a goal for TT but for a shitty interference waveoff from a blind ref.

We're doing things differently, and in many ways it came really suddenly. I don't know how they made the change, but they really seem like they may have flipped a switch and remembered how to play hockey again. Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't, but I don't think this is just same old same old finally working. I think they've finally started to figure out how to make their chances better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad