GDT: Game 4: Hurricanes @ Devils | 7:00 p.m. on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It's easy. You hit the ball. If you're bowling, you don't hit the bat.
It's baseball with two bases. It's harder to get guys out. Knock down the wickets = strikeout ("bowled"). Catch the ball, batter is out. Tag the runner off base, the runner is out. The hitter gets to keep hitting until he's out. You go through the batting order once, and then the other team goes through their batting order. That's it. That's the game.

There are other details, of course, but basically it's the same game, and I am always shocked when Americans can't understand it.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It's baseball with two bases. It's harder to get guys out. Knock down the wickets = strikeout ("bowled"). Catch the ball, batter is out. Tag the runner off base, the runner is out. The hitter gets to keep hitting until he's out. You go through the batting order once, and then the other team goes through their batting order. That's it. That's the game.

There are other details, of course, but basically it's the same game, and I am always shocked when Americans can't understand it.
Folks can tune into Masterpiece shows to learn more. Indian Summers, Downton, Sanditon and others have many great episodes centered around it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I've made zero attempt to understand fielding positions and formations, but yes. Once you understand what's going on it's simple.

Also you can straight up bowl at dudes, and for a sport thought of as a posh and soft activity, it's actually really grueling. You got smashed in the ribs by an 80mph ball (that is harder and heavier than the baseball) and you don't get to take a run and have a break. Everyone is amused by your suffering and you immediately face the next ball. It hits you and breaks a finger? Well, you've got 9 more, suck it up.

NZ had a test match against Sri Lanka recently that is one of the most amazing sporting events I've seen.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I more or less get that part. The thing that I think contributes to the lack of understanding is that it's not immediately apparent to my American sensibilities who won by looking at the score.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Yeah, I'm not buying that the Canes should be Cup favorites among the teams still in it. I think some got sucked in by those first 2 Jersey games; Canes aren't that good. On the other hand, they're better than the 3rd Jersey game, and when you can totally disrupt the opposition's offense anything is possible. Keeping my

1683646775242.png

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Congratulations! Now start finding all the annoying and noisy toys you can and hold them over your sibling's head as blackmail if they piss you off. Here, start with these:

View attachment 705331
Oh, this is my second nephew, so I am well acquainted with buying noisy toys :laugh:

For my first nephew's first birthday, I bought him a little toy school bus that played Wheels on the Bus in it's entirety. I'm pretty sure my sister took the batteries out after a week or so and told him it was broken :biglaugh:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
CONGRATULATIONS.

One of the most beautiful gifts you can have. Still remember fondly holding both my nephews for the first time.
I don’t know when I’ll get to meet the new guy, but the first time I held the other one he peed on me. I’m hoping to avoid that next time lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad