GDT: Game #20 | Washington Capitals @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Explain how Datsyuk's move was better than Bertuzzi's.

Bertuzzi did his spin while the goaltender is in position.

He drags the puck literally 1 foot from the goalie with out a deke or anything…. Easiest stick check in the world!

See above for how to do it right!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Bertuzzi did his spin while the goaltender is in position.

He drags the puck literally 1 foot from the goalie with out a deke or anything…. Easiest stick check in the world!

See above for how to do it right!

Well you've explained how Bert screwed up his move. But you haven't explained how Datsyuk's was any better.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
This team is just managed and coached poorly. So frustrating.

Which is not at all unusual for teams to have. But while the rest of the hockey world continues to tell you you have the best coach and GM in the business? That's definitely strange.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Explain how Datsyuk's move was better than Bertuzzi's.

Datsyuk has scored on that in the past, but I am by no means happy with that attempt by Datsyuk either. He tried the same thing last shootout, and completely flubbed it. He heeds to get creative, and everyone knows he has a ton of creativity.

If I was the coach, I'd have a 3 hour practice tomorrow, with one thing on the agenda: shootouts.

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Datsyuk has scored on that in the past, but I am by no means happy with that attempt by Datsyuk either. He tried the same thing last shootout, and completely flubbed it. He heeds to get creative, and everyone knows he has a ton of creativity.

If I was the coach, I'd have a 3 hour practice tomorrow, with one thing on the agenda: shootouts.

If I was coach, I'd step down and let Blash take over.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
meanwhile down in GR nyquist pots 3 helpers and jurco gets a hatty....

Nyquist is probably the 5th or 6th best fwd in this organization. Awful management.

EDIT: I mean, it's awful that is isn't with the Wings full-time yet at this point of his development.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well awful. Only so many times you can say "atleast we got a point".

Nyquist is probably the 5th or 6th best fwd in this organization. Awful management.

EDIT: I mean, it's awful that is isn't with the Wings full-time yet at this point of his development.
With all these OT/SO-losses it's amazing the difference Gus could have made. Probably 2-4 points more in the standings, easy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What do all these close OT/SO games mean? It means we're like right on the cusp of winning.

Could a faster, more skilled player replacing a slow baddy be a difference maker? It sure could. Maybe not every game turns into a win, but one or two of them, and that adding up over the course of 82 games.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
free Nyquist

My question: If he gets called up, and doesn't produce, then what? I'm playing devil's advocate here, but success in the AHL doesn't mean anything. The team is thin on depth and top 6 talent, but I guess on one hand, what's the harm, but on the other, everyone seems to expect that Nyquist's scoring in the AHL will just translate to the NHL.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
My question: If he gets called up, and doesn't produce, then what? I'm playing devil's advocate here, but success in the AHL doesn't mean anything. The team is thin on depth and top 6 talent, but I guess on one hand, what's the harm, but on the other, everyone seems to expect that Nyquist's scoring in the AHL will just translate to the NHL.

Because it did?

He played a bunch of games last year through the end of the season and into the playoffs and he did just fine. He ignited the third line when before it had just been dead weight. Speed and skill. It just works.

Whether or not Nyquist can hack it in the NHL, is an answered question as far as I'm concerned. He played over 20 games last year as a combination of playoff and regular season games and once he settled in, he got it going. Unless somehow, that consistent span of games last year was a complete fluke, he will be a valuable top6 forward for years to come for some team. I just hope that team is us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The last 2 forwards we had (before Nyquist) that were ppg players in Grand Rapids were Jiri Hudler and Val Filppula.

Let me know how they're doing...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

He already has produced, part of multiple game winners. He was a HUGE part our success last PO's. I think Tatar is a good example of how he could be handled this season if he had less of an impact. Tatar had a slight letdown of energy and was sat. He responded positively and hasn't been sat again for several games now. Nyquist could be dealt with in the same way to shake him up, but I highly doubt that would be necessary.

100% of fans can't be wrong. Gus would majorly help this team right now. There is no doubt Nyquist will stick and prove, like Tatar, how necessary he is to the Red Wings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He already has produced, part of multiple game winners. He was a HUGE part our success last PO's. I think Tatar is a good example of how he could be handled this season if he had less of an impact. Tatar had a slight letdown of energy and was sat. He responded positively and hasn't been sat again for several games now. Nyquist could be dealt with in the same way to shake him up, but I highly doubt that would be necessary.

100% of fans can't be wrong. Gus would majorly help this team right now. There is no doubt Nyquist will stick and prove, like Tatar, how necessary he is to the Red Wings.

It's not like Tomas Tatar wasn't one of our best players tonight. He had a primary role in both of Mule's goals. Let's look at it the other way: is there any reason to expect Patrick Eaves, Mikael Samuelsson and Dan Cleary to ever be a significant contributor on an NHL team? I'm much more confident Tatar and Nyquist can help this team play in the offensive zone and win hockey games.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
100% of fans can't be wrong.
We could be. But we aren't.

This isn't really some hypothetical we're dealing with. We saw him play in the NHL already for a good long stretch against some damn good competition like the Hawks and Ducks in the playoffs. And he was one of our better players for his time here.

We're not guessing that he'll be good. He's already proven himself to be good.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We had 2/3 of two good lines tonight:

Tatar-Mule. Helm really added nothing to that line, but you needed someone to center the line.

Hank-Pavs. Bert adds very little and if history is any gauge he will fade fairly quickly.

So on the one hand this is a good sign: 66% of our top 6 were legit scoring line players. The downside is Andersson is stuck with Cleary and Sammy, two guys who do absolutely nothing at even strength.

We didn't have a 4th line tonight but then again that's nothing new.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It's not like Tomas Tatar wasn't one of our best players tonight. He had a primary role in both of Mule's goals. Let's look at it the other way: is there any reason to expect Patrick Eaves, Mikael Samuelsson and Dan Cleary to ever be a significant contributor on an NHL team? I'm much more confident Tatar and Nyquist can help this team play in the offensive zone and win hockey games.

I totally agree, I was trying to reason how the club could possibly deal with a situation like Nyquist being unable to produce, which will never happen anyways. Remember we are replying to an advocate of the devil!

As a coach I would never have sat Tatar, it is a mockery. That guy is so hungry we've created an animal and by holding him back longer than the Wings should have he is like a tiger let out of a cage. I love his level of aggression. **** I get amped to simply watch him pick up the puck along the boards and start tearing up the ice. That guy is a gamer, just like Nyquist, and exactly what the Wings need to invigorate themselves.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011

He gets to actually become used to the NHL instead of stifling his development in the AHL? The actual reason he should be in the NHL despite being better than 70% of our current forwards.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

mass panic. He'd just be another unproductive forward at that point, and I guess we'd have to choose which unproductive forwards we wanted in the lineup on any given night. I get the impression you're saying more that what if he doesn't produce at the level he's expected to produce at, though (rather than at all). My expectation would be for around .3 ppg, and I'd just hope he could hit that.

Because it did?

He played a bunch of games last year through the end of the season and into the playoffs and he did just fine. He ignited the third line when before it had just been dead weight. Speed and skill. It just works.

Whether or not Nyquist can hack it in the NHL, is an answered question as far as I'm concerned. He played over 20 games last year as a combination of playoff and regular season games and once he settled in, he got it going. Unless somehow, that consistent span of games last year was a complete fluke, he will be a valuable top6 forward for years to come for some team. I just hope that team is us.

Smith came up and looked very good for a 14 game stretch a few years ago, and it's been pretty rough since. I think it's a fair question and it's more about expectations for Nyquist. I don't think there's a chance that he continues scoring at a point per game pace in the NHL. I think the absolute high is around .5 - which is what Datsyuk and Zetterberg were around in their rookie years. It's probably more likely that he puts up around a .3 ppg.

This isn't to say he couldn't contribute outside of a scoresheet, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad