GDT: Game 19: "Down, but not out" Blackhawks @ Blues 2/28/13 7:00 p.m. CST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, once the streak ends, so will the immense effort they put forth every game to keep it going.

Streaks follow streaks. When they lose, teams will smell blood and they wont have the same motivation they do now. It'll happen, that's just common sense. They are one of the better teams in the league, no doubt, but they will take their licks soon.

I can see their intensity really drop when the streak is over

SoulChaser17

Dec 17, 2011
St. Louis
When we had injuries last season (with Steen and Amac ironically) the team seemed to step it up a notch knowing that it would be tougher. They got more physical and were really agressive. I thought perhaps that may happen here. But it doesn't seem like the same Blues from last year.

They haven't been the same since the Red Wings game after that horrible Backes call. Even with all of our players healthy, they haven't been as effective as they were at the start of the season. They're slacking all over the place. And against the best team in the league it was silly to think we'd win this game. Even if we had no injuries we still would have lost.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
I think after what LA did in the playoffs, people need to realize that as long as you get into the playoffs, then the regular season isn't a huge deal.

You're right except the Blues haven't been good against the central for the past few years and those central games mean a lot. Already lost the Detroit series. This will be the second Chicago loss. Something's gotta give.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Is this team too emotional?

Every time we have "let down" moment you can expect this team to wallow in it for a couple of games.

GrandPapillon*

pretty much the entire team sucked.

The Backes line was averageish, but when that is the only line in tact after injuries, they need to elevate their game and not just play ok. Russell continues to be useless. The Cole/Petro pairing is not playing like a top pair. Schwartz is overmatched. Was Berglund in the building? How the hell did D'Agostini ever have a 20 goal season? Overall a terrible performance again on home ice.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Terrible showing by the Blues, I'm all for a trade at this point to shake things up.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

The Backes line was averageish, but when that is the only line in tact after injuries, they need to elevate their game and not just play ok. Russell continues to be useless. The Cole/Petro pairing is not playing like a top pair. Schwartz is overmatched. Was Berglund in the building? How the hell did D'Agostini ever have a 20 goal season? Overall a terrible performance again on home ice.

Personally, I blame Petro for this.

Every one here thinks he can be paired with anyone and carry them. Currently, Petro can't even play consistently or above average. Cole has not been bad, but the assumption is he's going to be paired with a #1, but our #1 is playing like #2 (and I don't mean numerically).

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Disappointing effort. Disappointing loss.

If something doesn't change soon, this season won't end well.

Maybe Army's got something up his sleeve...

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

haha, yeah. Same with Backes and his 30 goal season.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I agree. It's annoying.
Yeah, I noticed that after Backes got hurt the whole team let down. They do seem to be ran by emotion. They will never win the Cup with a 'woe is me' attitude.

The bad call in DET was just another signal of that. At least they arent the Cubs. Blues have been competitive for most of their existence.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Personally, I blame Petro for this.

Every one here thinks he can be paired with anyone and carry them. Currently, Petro can't even play consistently or above average. Cole has not been bad, but the assumption is he's going to be paired with a #1, but our #1 is playing like #2 (and I don't mean numerically).
Pietro was trying to cover 2 guys on the first goal. That should tell you what is going on with him.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, I noticed that after Backes got hurt the whole team let down. They do seem to be ran by emotion. They will never win the Cup with a 'woe is me' attitude.

The bad call in DET was just another signal of that. At least they arent the Cubs. Blues have been competitive for most of their existence.

The early goal did us in.

Backes going down was salt in the wound.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This team, as is, is just not good enough. If these were guys who showed up with heart every game you'd think they have a chance but it's more like 50-60% of the time they show up with heart. Barring a lightning-in-a-bottle situation in May and June (which has never happened with this franchise) they're pretty much set to win 0 or 1 playoff series max.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I just dont know what this team is. They have lost their identity.

Im starting to get the idea that maybe they are just a fringe playoff team.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Watching Stewart and Dagostini try to stick handle around guys like they dont have teammates and lose the puck in the offensive zone irritated me.

AP keeps playing like he has and he will be lucky to get 5 a year.

Just feels like a team that doesnt know what it is and only plays a hard game when they are up against it. I think they are a playoff team and I guess as a Blues fan, we should be happy with that.

Somehow, Im not, I expected more.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Done with watching games and following the Blues for awhile. This is just upsetting me to much. Let's hope we even make the playoffs this year. I say just tank it and draft McKinnon.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I was in the house and if I could use one word to describe the Blues play tonight: soft.

They thought they were playing the Blue Jackets.

Every play in the neutral zone was soft. Exits from the defensive zone were soft. Attempts to get pucks deep were soft.

I was floored at how good Chicago was at using their sticks. Positionally. Being hard on pucks. Proper stick positions. They reminded me of the Bruins Cup winning team.

And the Blues never adjusted.

Chris Stewart was the poster boy for the Blues play tonight. He was horrible and must've coughed the puck up 5 times in critical areas.

Petro has lost it. Russell is brutal. Berglund is once again ineffective against a skating team.

It was a pathetic effort all around.

The things that ail this team don't seem to be changing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
20 games is longer enough to form an identity. They better start figuring it out soon. This team is a nowhere near as good as last years team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad