GDT: Game 12: Yotes @ Avs | Tuesday, November 8th, 7pm MT | Daycare Edition

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
A couple more wins makes a big difference too but bottom 10 is bottom 10 and it's consistent. The bubble teams don't have much separating them, it's just that there's so many of them it's tough to get a leg up on all.

There is a big difference between 2 goals per game and 2.5, regardless of the ranking. At 2 goals we are not talking bubble team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A couple more wins makes a big difference too but bottom 10 is bottom 10 and it's consistent. The bubble teams don't have much separating them, it's just that there's so many of them it's tough to get a leg up on all.

Bottom 11. :sarcasm:

Just look at the teams around them though, it wasn't the goal scoring that was the real issue that kept them out of the playoffs (it didn't help, but it wasn't the key issue). The team gave up 240 goals last year and is on pace for 253 this year. If they held that to ~220, they are a playoff team. Goals against is much more of an issue than goals for. Yeah the Avs need to be better at scoring goals, and a lot of that really stems from the big players playing up to their capabilities... but playing good defense and giving up only ~2.5 per game is the real key. If the Avs can do that, they will be a playoff team with ~215-220 goals (this team is capable of that). If they give up 230, that number is probably ~225. Anymore than 230 and you don't really have a chance in today's NHL.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
It is not GA alone that is hurting us. Nor is it a lack of GF. It is the combination. There are a number of teams that are worse in each of those. But no team is worse in both.

Buffalo is slight worse at scoring (1.97 vs 2.00). Yet they are much better at not allowing opponents to score (2.20 vs 3.08). So they are bit higher in the standings.

Philly is a fair bit worse at defense, allowing 3.49 GAA, but are much better at scoring, with 3.28 GFA.

Both of those teams are giving up more than they score, and both are sitting at 0.500 right now.

Vancouver is below us in the standings (technically they have more points, but we have 3 games in hand), yet is much a bit worse at scoring and at a bit better defending....so obviously not everything is directly relevant. But the same could be said about them as us...no team is worse in both scoring and defending as they are.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
So. If I understand PDO correctly we should be doing better soon enough.
Both our save percentage and shooting percentage are WAY off the mean.

I wonder how things will look and feel if that happens.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
I for one am not hoping that the Avs get better. Time to blow some stuff up and accept that the team needs a lot of help. How great would it have been if we did not recover from the ugly 4-10 start to last season? There would have been meaningful changes to the roster, we would have had a top 5 pick and we would have not given up Wood and a second for Bødker, who sucks. Picking in the 10-14 range is the absolutely worst thing that can happen to a NHL team, the tought of doing that for 3 years straight makes me :damnpc:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
High draft picks are not a guarantee that good things will follow. Look at Edmonton, FFS. Should we just do what they did and tank for a decade until we manage to get a generational talent? We've had three shots at top 3 picks and things aren't magically better. One more won't solve all the problems.

Besides, we got damn solid players out of those 10th picks. No, they're not miracles like Laine and McDavid, but picking tenth doesn't always mean you get a middling player. Rantanen should never have fallen to 10th and Jost I think was underrated from playing in the BCHL. So picking tenth again would hardly be some catastrophic blow to the team's future.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
No one is saying having high draft picks will equal success. However, being stuck in the 10-14 range is no mans land. The Avs need top talent, right now there is not a single elite player on the club. If that does not change the best the Avs can hope for is making the playoffs and maybe the second round and that's about it. Picking higher increases the possibility to get an elite talent and it is naive to think that something like that would not turn the Avs around.

I don't want meaningful changes because they might miss the playoffs. I want it because the core and roster are not good enough.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So. If I understand PDO correctly we should be doing better soon enough.
Both our save percentage and shooting percentage are WAY off the mean.

I wonder how things will look and feel if that happens.

Assuming everyone is average and the mean is the performace level every player should be at.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I for one am not hoping that the Avs get better. Time to blow some stuff up and accept that the team needs a lot of help. How great would it have been if we did not recover from the ugly 4-10 start to last season? There would have been meaningful changes to the roster, we would have had a top 5 pick and we would have not given up Wood and a second for Bødker, who sucks. Picking in the 10-14 range is the absolutely worst thing that can happen to a NHL team, the tought of doing that for 3 years straight makes me :damnpc:

We have gotten damn good players in Jost and Rantanen at 10.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
We have gotten damn good players in Jost and Rantanen at 10.

Looks like it. Still lets not make conclusions before they actually become at least solid top 6 forwards.

My point is that the Avs do not have even one elite player on the roster despite sucking for such a long time. That is terrible and will continue to haunt the franchise, unless somebody exceeds expectations. There is only so far a team can go without a star caliber player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Looks like it. Still lets not make conclusions before they actually become at least solid top 6 forwards.

My point is that the Avs do not have even one elite player on the roster despite sucking for such a long time. That is terrible and will continue to haunt the franchise, unless somebody exceeds expectations. There is only so far a team can go without a star caliber player.

It's also because we are pining for a performance of an 18 year old with no responsibility or expectations 12 games into their career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad