Proposal: Gallagher + Wideman for Barrie + Foegele

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Gallagher + Wideman (7,25 mil)
for
Barrie + Foegele (7,25 mil)

I know I know!!

Gallagher is finished and has so much negative value.

We've been there a few years ago with him (after his couple of hand injuries) and he came back with a few seasons on a 30 goals ratio.

Gallagher is a hearth and soul player, exactly what the Oilers need.
Him playing with elite players (a thing he never had the chance to do) would maybe re-up his pts production.

Personally, I would never bet against Gally, but he doesn't fit with where MTL are heading for the foreseeable future.

Barrie would be a stop gap PMRHD because MTL will eventually trade the likes of Chiarot, Petry, Kulak, Wideman, etc...
They have to fill up jerseys in defense for the next few years.

Foegele is to equalize salaries.

Wideman is a depth RHD to equalize salaries too.

Thoughts?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If we're trading Gallgher, I'd expect younger players back with short term cap dump or small retention on our side. I don't see the point for the Habs making that trade, it doesn't make us better short or long term.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Gallagher's contract is TERRIBLE but at least he's useful.

If we're going to get light up because a PMD can't play defense, we might as well keep Wideman, who comes with the same flaws as Barrie but for a fraction of the price.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
In no shape or form is this any good for the Oilers
Gallagher is a decent, yet rapidly declining player
we had wideman already.. no take backs

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If we're trading Gallgher, I'd expect younger players back with short term cap dump or small retention on our side. I don't see the point for the Habs making that trade, it doesn't make us better short or long term.

Foegele and Barrie contracts have two more years after this one. Gallagher's contract has five more years after this one. The idea is that Foegele and Barrie can be flipped at some point over the next two years for assets and the freed up cap space in 2024 could be put to much better use than a 32 year old Gallagher.

This is a no-brainer for the Habs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Foegele and Barrie contracts have two more years after this one. Gallagher's contract has five more years after this one. The idea is that Foegele and Barrie can be flipped at some point over the next two years for assets and the freed up cap space in 2024 could be put to much better use than a 32 year old Gallagher.

This is a no-brainer for the Habs.
I disagree.
Giving up on Gallagher now after one season of sub-standard performances in the last five years at 29 years old would be selling low + he's been a great leader for our team for many years now. I could be wrong, but I'd take a chance on him.

Unless you can convince me Montreal will suddenly be a very attrative destination for UFAs, not sure what we'd do with the extra cap anyway.

There's also the possibility Gallagher finishes on LTIR the last 1-2 years of his deal, if that's the case, I'd prefer having him around for 3 years then Barrie or Foegele.

I wouldn't be surprise if he scored 25+ next year, with a full summer of training and healing. He was on pace for 30 goals last year, got injured and played through it in the playoffs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's bad for the Habs. Barrie is awful and Foegele is a gargoyle whose hands never changed from stone to flesh. Been there, done that with Wideman too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad