G Sebastian Cossa - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2021, 15th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cossa with a 28 save 1-0 shutout win tonight.

Save percentage at .909 and GAA at 2.63 in 23 games (11-7-5 record).
I watched the game, he earned that shutout too. Breakaway glove save, a bunch of saves through traffic and some athletic cross crease saves as well. It was against one of the best offensive teams in the league as well.

Goalies are projects but the shit talk about Cossa got to pretty dumb levels. He still might be a bust obviously, but right now he has a better save percentage than Wallstedt had last year or has this year. Hes .002 off of Askarovs save percentage last year in his draft+2 as well.

These guys get called 2 of the top 3 or so goalie prospects in the world and Cossa has been getting shit on. It might get interesting down the stretch here, He's got like a .930 since Christmas

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He’s played just 23 games this year. He’s been underplayed.
I think its just part of his development plan. Dont get gassed outhalfway through the year so you can finish the season strong and take over the net, which is what hes currently doing. Plan has probably always been, hope he can overtake the clear starter role by the end of the year, and go into next season as the clear starter in Grand Rapids.

What I also look at for prospects in the AHL is how they finish the season. Cossa has had 2 years of pro hockey now where he has clearly developed toward the end of the season and improved as the year went on. Their plan for him is working so far

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Cossa with 37/39, first star in a game against Askarov and arguably the best team in the A right now. 0.934 save percentage his last 10 starts now
The last 35 minutes or so the switch flipped and the Admirals looked like a team that won 19 in a row. The third was basically a 20 PP for them. Cossa was the reason that game didn't go to OT.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
His development path has probably not been good for red wing fans anxiety.

Most fans know it takes time for goalies even in the best situations. Nice to see the Griffins having a solid year, not a bad environment to be stuck in waiting for the call up. But Cossa was definitely the most ridiculed since Wallstedt was available.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly Cossa's development has been mostly been a pretty consistent upwards trend overall freakouts over small sample size exhibition stuff and initial adjusting to new leagues notwithstanding

it would have been nice if he had stuck in the AHL last year like Wallstedt instead of needing some ECHL time first but it is worth noting he was a rookie pro unlike Wallstedt with his multiple years of SHL experience

Nov 9, 2022
His development path has probably not been good for red wing fans anxiety.
I don't understand why most were upset about it. Last year GR was a dumpster fire so I understood why Yzerman had him play in Toledo. GR re-tooled a bit and is a better team to have infront of Cossa and its showing it was the right move to hold him back a year from getting shelled in the A and shattering his confidence and setting him back. Errrone needs to chill!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
honestly Cossa's development has been mostly been a pretty consistent upwards trend overall freakouts over small sample size exhibition stuff and initial adjusting to new leagues notwithstanding

it would have been nice if he had stuck in the AHL last year like Wallstedt instead of needing some ECHL time first but it is worth noting he was a rookie pro unlike Wallstedt with his multiple years of SHL experience

He also barely played any junior games due to covid, on top of being a rookie pro. I would've been fine with him staying n overage year in junior just to get reps, but Toledo worked out great

JT3

May 27, 2013

Spot on, I'm going to toot my own horn here but I said back in March of last year that the ECHL is actually a very logical next step for young goalies coming from the CHL:

The skill gap from CHL to AHL is huge, it's easier for skaters to adapt slowly and come along at their own pace because they can be sheltered, goalies cannot. It's sink or swim, and if you don't swim right away it can really rock a young kids confidence as the entire team is relying on your play when you're in net.

Cossa is an extremely athletic goaltender with size and a real good head on his shoulders. He needed time to work on his mechanics and calm himself down in his crease. He has come along just fine since then and is beginning to show why he was a highly touted goalie prospect.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I mean Cossa's potential has always been immense. He's practically grown out of a lab with his combination of size and athleticism, but it was always about how much he can round out his game. He had some pretty major issues with his glove hand for years but, as a guy who knows next to nothing about goaltending, I can say that at least watching him in the AHL he seems far less exploitable on that side.

Between Kasper, Danielson, Ed, ASP and Cossa (to go along with Mo) the Wings are going to be a pretty stout defensive team in the years to come, which is exciting indeed :)

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Another impressive performance for Cossa. Out dueled Wallstedt in a 3-2 win after outdueling Askarov in his previous game. Zero regulation losses in his past 10 games now.

.934 in 2024
If you mean his team won, yes. If you think he outplayed Wallstedt, the stats or the eye test would not agree. Iowa didn't have nearly the quality scoring chances...could've been 6-2.

Not hating on Cossa - not even getting into who is going to be the NHLer as goalies take a long time to develop. Just don't think tonight's game was one in which he was the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad