G Pyotr Kochetkov (2019, 36th, CAR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Varlamov and Georgiev are better than Askarov, but i'm not sure they (and Samsonov, and Kochetkov) are better than every Canadian goalies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sorokin Shesterkin Vasilevskiy Kochetkov Samsonov ..who am I missing?
Georgiev and Valamov are up there too - I’d say Varlamov 5, Georgiev 6, Samsonov 7. However, I don’t think the number is 6 (# Russian goalies better than any Canadian goalie), I think it’s 3-5. The top Canadian goalies are guys like Kuemper, Jarry, Murray, Hart and Logan Thompson, probably Kuemper #1? I think Shesty, Vasi and Sorokin are clearly way better than any Canadian goalie, then Kochetkov/Varlamov are arguable with Kuemper, while Georgiev/Samsonov are behind Kuemper.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Why was he sent down in the first place? His numbers are the best of any Canes goalie by a good margin, similar games played, and when in the Canes games I’ve seen he passes the eye test. Is it just a “seniority” thing? GM doesn’t wanna make the tough decision of waiving one of Raanta/Freddy?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Why was he sent down in the first place? His numbers are the best of any Canes goalie by a good margin, similar games played, and when in the Canes games I’ve seen he passes the eye test. Is it just a “seniority” thing? GM doesn’t wanna make the tough decision of waiving one of Raanta/Freddy?
Yeah, Kochetkov is waiver exempt and Raanta and Freddy are made of glass. We need three goalies and can't risk Raanta getting claimed.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pyotr also just needs the games played. It's hard to justify playing him with two NHL quality goalies already in the bigs this year in Raanta and Andersen. Granted, at least one of Raanta or Andersen is injured half of the time, so he's had some looks. Ideally as he develops we want Pyotr playing 50 games or so this year. So far he has 40 GP this year. In fact, Pyotr has 20 GP, Raanta has 23 GP, and Andersen has 23, which is probably the closest 3 way split in the league this year.

The Canes are always thinking long term. Pyotr is our most talented goalie, or is close with Freddie, but Pyotr also has some technical flaws in his game. He is sometimes too far out of his crease, and sometimes too far in if his confidence is low. He plays the puck well, but sometimes makes a wrong decision. He's a hot head. Next year he is definitely going to platoon, and depending on who else we get, he might be the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad