G Hayden Hawkey - Providence College, NCAA (2014, 177th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Played behind one of the better defensive teams in the league this year. I think his numbers reflect that a bit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Saw him a couple of times at AAA, definitely a darkhorse goaler. Has NHL size and potential, a bit raw and could work on side to side movement.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Will be an interesting situation at Providence when he gets there in 2015 as their back-up (Ellis) has done fine when Gillies was gone and had NHL interest as well. Could be a great spot for both to develop side-by-side

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
After missing much of his final season in the USHL to injury and riding the pine for most of his Freshman year, he got off to a bit of a slow start but lately has been doing well. He's 8-0 since 1-14, and he's 12-2-1 since 12-9. During his last 8 games he's given up 14 goals (1.75 gaa). Was the USHL goalie of the year, last I checked he was 2nd in the NCAA for minutes played so he's getting a ton of ice time. Hopefully the Habs have a future steal on their hands although he's going to have tough competition with the way McNiven is playing in the OHL and Lindgren in the AHL.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Best of luck to him. Still that name is one of the better ones we've seen in hockey history.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Never signed by either the Oilers and Caps and played just three games in the ECHL after posting phenomenal numbers in his junior and senior seasons at Providence.

What happened?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Never signed by either the Oilers and Caps and played just three games in the ECHL after posting phenomenal numbers in his junior and senior seasons at Providence.

What happened?

I would have described his numbers as solid more than phenomenal. Edmonton had a bit of a crowded crease in the minors (Starret/Skinner/Wells were already under contract last year) which was part of the reason they didn't sign him. Chiarelli was GM when they acquired Hawkey initially, so when the decision came whether to sign him (Providence made the Frozen Four), Keith Gretzky was the interim GM and eventually they hired Ken Holland a few weeks after Hawkey was done with college.

Tough timing since Hawkey then became a free agent on August 15, but most teams have their pro goalie spots already spoken for. I thought a couple teams could have given him a look for an AHL spot (his de facto hometown Colorado Avalanche or the Devils) but they opted to go with what they already had.

TL;DR Late round pick hasn't panned out, cracking an AHL roster can be difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad