Value of: G Anthony Stolarz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'll preface by saying I realize he doesn't have any sort of tremendous value. More just curious if fans believe he's shown enough that teams could be interested in giving him a shot at heavier work load.

The Ducks are in a good position with Gibson entrenched as starter, Stolarz proving himself as a solid NHL goalie with another cheap year (950k) on his deal, and an excellent prospect in Dostal who has looked great in his early NHL looks.

Dostal has another year on his ELC, so I'm sure there's no rush to make a move, but I wouldn't doubt that teams may be starting to call about Stolarz anyway.

Despite some ups and downs in his early NHL opportunities with Philly and Edmonton 3-6 years ago, Stolarz is now sporting a .915 career SV% across 47 games played. Largely propped up by his mostly stellar play since joining the Ducks organization, starting off with a career best AHL year and carrying into the NHL (.923 SV% in 22 appearances). I'll add that the Ducks have hardly been world beaters during his tenure.

Not saying he's suddenly going to become an elite starter for someone, but Stolarz is looking like a case of a large goalie who needed well into his mid 20s to realize his potential as an NHL netminder.

I think back to Craig Anderson and there are a lot of similarities. Anderson also a large goalie who didn't become a full time NHL player until well into his late 20s. He ended up making 650+ appearances, spending a few years as a starter and even a couple where he was an above average starter at that.

I can absolutely picture Stolarz having a similar career arc, and to a team starved for goaltending, a prime Anderson type would be a clear upgrade. I'd so much rather give an opportunity to a goalie trending in the right direction, if the alternative is a retread who has been bad for some time.

To conclude with a question, do you think that teams be interested in Stolarz, and what would a return realistically look like?

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He's still in COVID protocol though, it's been ten days. But the Ducks should really trade Stolarz like you said and give Dostal the backup spot and get the kid some big league experience that way.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Been a fan for some time, glad to see he's found a niche :) Seems like he definitely could be capable of a larger role, even if it's just more of a 1b/platoon option. Definitely carries some value imo, especially with there being somewhat of a market for goalie help

Could see him maybe pulling a 3rd, or perhaps even a 2nd if someone sees Adin Hill-esque upside there

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He's still in COVID protocol though, it's been ten days. But the Ducks should really trade Stolarz like you said and give Dostal the backup spot and get the kid some big league experience that way.
He really hasn’t been all that great in the AHL this season, no reason not to keep him there

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs should add this guy when Campbell re-signs.

They won't be able to afford Mrazek past this season.

Campbell
Stolarz
Woll

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He really hasn’t been all that great in the AHL this season, no reason not to keep him there
It's been up and down too for Dostal bc of the Gibson and Stolarz injuries.

Looks like he's NHL ready to me.

member 334057

Been hoping Buffalo targets him in the off-season for a 3rd and a b prospect or something along those lines. Seems like a player who deserves a shot at being a starter which he probably won't get behind Gibson and with Dostal as the potential heir apparent.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Looks like he was activated in time to back up Gibson tonight in Toronto.

Though I think the Ducks would wait on this deal until at least deadline time, and if still firmly in the playoff picture they'd be less likely to break up their depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad