Value of: Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Question I've had for years - is there a time limit as to when they need to be met?

And are these ever made public?
Future considerations isn't really anything. It just means "you did me a solid this time, I will get you back next time". There's no value or time assigned to it. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if there were times where "Future Considerations" was referring to who picked up the tab at the next dinner, or something like that.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If the return was real, it’d be specified in the trade. Future Considerations is a polite way of saying a player was traded for a bag of picks. Nothing.

Maybe there’s some unwritten agreement like one GM will but the first round of beers or pay for a round of golf the next time they get together but yeah, don’t expect any sort of asset coming back in a Future Considerations trade.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Supposedly had Tim Murray still been the GM in Buffalo upon Vegas' expansion draft; George McPhee was to waive the 5th rounder we paid to protect Ullmark. This being do to the previous trade made with Murray while he was in Washington where a player outright retired to avoid going to the tanking Sabres.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It doesn't always mean nothing, I seem to recall Rybon Regher being future considerations inthe trade that sent Theo Fluery to Colorado.

But it often means nothing

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I've heard Future Considerations involved in countless trades over the past 30 years. Just how old is this guy?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think I've seen - maybe once or twice ever - where future considerations eventually turned into a player going back the other way but these were always AHL level players so for some here, they will go "so yeah, nothing" which isn't nothing but hard to argue that it is something. Just thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad