Friedman: 30 Thoughts - Leafs' Reimer should follow Cammalleri's lead

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Article here discussing Reimer's struggles and comparing them to how Cammalleri was ignored at the trade deadline.

It's interesting, but what caught my eye was Thought #1:

1. The angry tweets directed at Reimer's wife, April, after Saturday's loss to Montreal are why we will reach a point where active athletes no longer participate on social media. Some people are too stupid to control themselves. As usual, they will ruin it for those who can.

:amazed:

WTF is wrong with people, that they think they should tell Reimer's wife what they think of Reimer... It's absolutely terrible. The people involved in that should be placed on a list of people banned from using any type of social media...

As a Leaf fan, to hear that people who claim to love my team are so baseless and ignorant, that just tears at my heart. I wouldn't even expect this from a Habs fan.

This is a million times worse than what Dave Feschuk* (corrected) did when he called up Reimer's parents to find out what the injury was that Reimer was dealing with. Some people don't just miss the line of common decency, they know where it is because that's where they pole-vaulted from to get where they landed...

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dude - I've been saying that from forever

And You know who else needs to drink from that cup? Franson. Actually - let the record show I've been saying that since like November. :laugh: I've always said - the best way to really put the screws to people is to unleash the Wrath of __________ and burn everyone with how amazing you are.

in regards to the Wife tweeting - while it was beyond stupid, just have your profile on private. angry fans do stupid things, i think at times people forget that fan is actually fanatic. Wives/girlfriends/partners should have a private account. let the athletes be public and deal with it. [if they want it], which most people tend to have it set to "see people I follow" anyway. easy peasy.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Welcome to bi-polar Leaf land where players are loved one day and their families trashed another. Always been this way and unfortunately it always will.

Doesn't take away from the fact that why are people bothering her? What does she have to do with all of this? JR was sideways when the Leafs traded for Bernier and has never recovered. Saying that, she could have easily made her profile private on Twitter and not deal with all the nonsense.

I remember last year watching the melt down in Boston and wondered how many players would pay for that loss. Gone is Grabovski and his inability to win a faceoff when it counted and endless icing of the puck when he had time to make a better play. Gone is Frattin, he could have iced the game on the breakway but he didn't. Reimer. Couldn't control rebounds and cracked-will be gone! Only player to survive is Phaneuf and who knows where that goes.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
not that i don't appreciate friedman's 30 thoughts, but the more we talk about this issue, the more unnecessary attention it gets...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The world is full of scum. Twitter is a perfect media for gutless losers to act tough and belittle other people with no repercussions. This is the reason why I never have and never will be a twitter user.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
This is a million times worse than what Howard Berger did when he called up Reimer's parents to find out what the injury was that Reimer was dealing with.

What was wrong with that? The team was bs'ing the media on the nature of his injury, as they always do, and someone did a bit of actual reporting to get some facts. It's not hard for someone to say "no comment", and that article pointed out some disturbing trends the way this team manages injuries.

I can't believe I just defended Dave Feschuk. I think I need a shower....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What does Cammalleri have to do with Reimer's wife?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Dude - I've been saying that from forever

And You know who else needs to drink from that cup? Franson. Actually - let the record show I've been saying that since like November. :laugh: I've always said - the best way to really put the screws to people is to unleash the Wrath of __________ and burn everyone with how amazing you are.

in regards to the Wife tweeting - while it was beyond stupid, just have your profile on private. angry fans do stupid things, i think at times people forget that fan is actually fanatic. Wives/girlfriends/partners should have a private account. let the athletes be public and deal with it. [if they want it], which most people tend to have it set to "see people I follow" anyway. easy peasy.

The vast majority of people have their profiles public though, it's sad that she should be expected to make her profile private just because of the morons in this society

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Welcome to bi-polar Leaf land where players are loved one day and their families trashed another. Always been this way and unfortunately it always will.
Sentiment appreciated, but this is hardly exclusive to Toronto and the Leafs. It's been going on in sports long before social media began. Twitter is just an easy way to feed the ****** beast.

I remember when someone tried to toss a Molotov cocktail through Mitch Williams' front window after he gave up that home run to Joe Carter in '93.

Unfortunately, professional sports seems to be bring out the extremist minority in fanbases.

Going after Reimer's wife shows the IQ of these idiots.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
not that i don't appreciate friedman's 30 thoughts, but the more we talk about this issue, the more unnecessary attention it gets...

This is exactly how I felt as well.

Twitter polices itself, and the morons got what they deserved from the social media masses.

But for TV stations, and newspapers, and now insiders several days after the incident to still be hammering on about it, just gives John Doe Keyboard Warrior over there all the attention he deserves and craves.

Just move on, and stop talking about the idiots

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
In regards to what the article was actually relating to, as much as I like Friedman, I think he's out to lunch here with the Cammalleri comparison.

It's easy to say that James should just be like Mike and use the doubt to fuel himself, but the Leafs are trying to lock up a playoff spot in a crazy dog fight with 3 other teams chomping at the bit (Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Capitals), and this is the most volatile market. Cammy has it easy, he's playing for a team where the playoffs were written off a long time ago and there's no pressure, he can just go out and have fun.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I figure it's a two way street.

While I don't support people going after something as trivial as a game, or the outcome of a few games, and going directly after a player or wife...

They also still leave the door open for granting the public possible access.

It's not any different than going into a bar, and saying or doing something to an athlete, it's just a different medium.

But athletes are just like other famous people...politicians, actors and other public figures. They leave the door open for scrutiny, criticism and thin-slicing satire since they are frequently in the public arenas.

I think social media is a great way for players to connect with fans. We can get a glimpse of the insight on what these guys are like outside of the rink, that normal media just can't do.

Normal media makes guys like Phil Kessel out to be like a hermit who's camera shy, and not passionate, not any fun. Social media sees Phil Kessel much differently...a guy who likes to have fun, is funny, has a sense of humor and seems to keep his closest friends close.

But, I don't agree with the way April Reimer had hatred directed at her. The entire team has been playing lousy recently, isn't just Reimer who is struggling.

Criticize players if you feel you must. But don't do it stupidly. And don't target the other people around the athletes.

The thing is...Reimer is the nicest most polite guy on the team, and April Reimer has always been such a professional when exposed on camera. They're not bad people. In the end it's just a game.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
This is exactly how I felt as well.

Twitter polices itself, and the morons got what they deserved from the social media masses.

But for TV stations, and newspapers, and now insiders several days after the incident to still be hammering on about it, just gives John Doe Keyboard Warrior over there all the attention he deserves and craves.

Just move on, and stop talking about the idiots

I used it as an opportunity to send a tweet to her saying that Reimer is actually appreciated and loved among the fanbase, and that a few ignorant twits shouldn't be held as the sum of all fans.

I also recommended that Reimer pull his old goalie mask out or retirement. The one with the scripting: "Obstacles are what you see when you lose sight of the goal."

I think Reimer is a warrior, and has earned his place in goal. Not a big fan of Nonis for seeking Bernier. Albeit, I cannot deny that Bernier has been better this season, but had Nonis NOT acquired Bernier, Reimer would be very likely playing at the level we'd come to know, and it would have been irrelevant.

This is a case of goalie rivalry being very bad for settling the crease. Similar to Vancouver. IMO should've dealt Reimer at the deadline once it was settled that he was no longer the starter. Being forced to turn to him after abandoning him all season is a well-earned fate for Nonis and Carlyle, IMO.

Bob Lemoche

Mar 31, 2012
As a Leaf fan, to hear that people who claim to love my team are so baseless and ignorant, that just tears at my heart. I wouldn't even expect this from a Habs fan.

Soooo.... you try to take the moral high ground by calling out fans who acted like idiots on social media but then proceed to insult an entire fanbase based on equally idiotic prejudice ?

Way to go champ !

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I work with a players Aunt and she said he didn't want to sign in Toronto this off season because of how bad the fans can get.

Stories of kids being harassed at school

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I work with a players Aunt and she said he didn't want to sign in Toronto this off season because of how bad the fans can get.

Stories of kids being harassed at school

And players in Basketball have no issues signing with big market clubs. Some thing for Baseball, NFL, Soccer, etc.

Why is this different for the Leafs and the NHL? Why is it only hockey players that shy away from the spotlight? Players don't shy away from the Rangers and the Flyers either. Their media and fans are probably not as crazy as here but it's pretty bad. Just look at how Bryzgalov was treat just recently... yet a couple months later, Lecavalier signs there the second he's offered a contract. Look at how Slater treats his signings and players at time, yet St-Louis' first choice was to play there.

Pure bullcrap.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
And players in Basketball have no issues signing with big market clubs. Some thing for Baseball, NFL, Soccer, etc.

Why is this different for the Leafs and the NHL? Why is it players that only hockey players shy away from the spotlight?

Pure bullcrap.

is that considered the spotlight? I don't follow the other markets enough to know if it doesn't happen. Assuming it does

Leafs do for some odd reason seem to by small market prices to retain players and even have to overpay to get the home town guy to play here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad