Free Agent/Trade Thread 14-15 Post Season V.38 : June Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I agree that is why I suggested Gardiner and younger and cheaper option where they get Kadri + Gardiner in the same ~ range as ROR cap wise. Kadri replaces the loss at C and Gardiner helps their D.

Kadri + Gardiner at ~ $ 9 mil cap as opposed to ROR at +$7 mil.

Avs are younger team so I think they would want younger assets in return as opposed to a 30 year old Phaneuf on a expensive long term deal.

The Avs seem to like Gardiner.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...prove-its-basic-system-moving-puck?source=rss

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Exactly, I don't see why anyone would be against it.

Malkin is being traded for futures and cap relief. We are not in a position to provide futures in any deal, being a rebuilding team with a thin cupboard. Not to mention he has no incentive and likely any desire to go to a bottom-5 team right now.

Are you prepared to give up Nylander/Rielly, JVR, and our 24th OA for Malkin? If not, then there's no deal.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I'm a big fan of Wilson, he is what we hoped Biggs would turn out to be. Would be great on the 2nd line next to Kadri.

JVR-Marner/Nylander-Marner/Nylander
??-Kadri-Wilson
Leipsic-Holland-Brown

I'm not. He doesn't have the offense to be a top 6, barely enough to be a 3rd liner. He is what Biggs could probably still become, a 4th liner who can agitate and maybe slide up for a game or 2, but that would be if all other options were exhausted first.

While I don't want to discuss Malkin for Kessel as that **** ain't happening ever.

But rebuilding or not, you don't pass on Evgeni Malkin unless he's 35+ years old. It's Malkin for **** sakes. If Crosby or Stamkos were available in FA would you not try to sign them because they are rebuilding?

Anyways it's a moot point cause it's not happening.

Difference between trading for Malkin and signing Stamkos is the cost to acquire Malkin. If it means Kessel + 1 or 2 of our top prospects, you have to put that up against what we could get for Kessel. I mean, obviously he'd be valuable and a great piece to have, but his days of 100 points are done IMO, and he's already having trouble putting up full seasons.

If it comes down to Malkin vs. Nylander + Brown + 11th OVR (Zacha/Connor/Rantanen) + Trochek + Matheson...That's potentially a first liner in Nylander, a full 2nd line and a potential top 4 D-man. I'd be hard pressed to say that Malkin is more valuable in a rebuild than those chips.

Straight across, then yeah, it'd be kind of hard to pass up on Malkin for Kessel, but there's no way the Pens do it straight across, and that's where it starts to become easier to say no.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Malkin is being traded for futures and cap relief. We are not in a position to provide futures in any deal, being a rebuilding team with a thin cupboard. Not to mention he has no incentive and likely any desire to go to a bottom-5 team right now.

Are you prepared to give up Nylander/Rielly, JVR, and our 24th OA for Malkin? If not, then there's no deal.

Malkin is being traded for futures?

So when does Crosby come on the trading block?

The rumour is Malkin isn't happy, not the other way around.

IMO, Malkin would be traded for high end talent to play with Crosby, but there are very few one-for-one's in the league that would land Malkin.

Kessel ++ for Malkin might be a start.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Malkin is being traded for futures?

So when does Crosby come on the trading block?

The rumour is Malkin isn't happy, not the other way around.

IMO, Malkin would be traded for high end talent to play with Crosby, but there are very few one-for-one's in the league that would land Malkin.

Kessel ++ for Malkin might be a start.

You're wrong if you think it isn't a cap move. ++ is exactly what's not affordable from our end. We're sending what would amount to pillars of our future for one player to help now. How does that make sense?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Seems like you have a lot of insight into this, is this common knowledge?

The sense I got was that some wouldn't want Malkin because of the Rebuild, there was no mention of what the cost would be.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Seems like you have a lot of insight into this, is this common knowledge?

The sense I got was that some wouldn't want Malkin because of the Rebuild, there was no mention of what the cost would be.

Just common sense. The two factors - rebuild and cost - it's a false dichotomy. The cost affects the rebuild which is why we shouldn't proceed.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Lets do a blockbuster trade and try and bait the Islanders into mortgaging their future. Lets rob them blind

Phil Kessel and JVR for Ryan Strome, Reinhart, MDC, 1st round pick

Who says no

That trade won't happen.

But Islanders could primarily use another top 4 D to help them take the next step. We've got all of Phaneuf, Gardiner or Polak (who's still a # 4/5) potentially available.

Islanders 2nd biggest need is another game breaker on offence with Kessel and to a lesser extent JVR (but better cap wise) fitting that need.

They've got Dal Colle, Reinhart, Pulock, Strome all as top young targets.

Toronto can take back a bad contract in any deal and they've got two in Grabner (1 year at 3 cap hit but 5 in real salary) + Grabovski (3 years left at 5 cap hit).

I'd welcome Grabo back as an overpaid stop gap piece over the next few years to insulate youngsters. He's now 31 and only produced 19 points in 51 games last year.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I wouldn't go that far.

Reinhart will never justify his draft position. He'll be a #3 dman at best.

Dal Colle is good, but for him to score anywhere close to the 30 goals that JVR put up would be tough.

Islanders pick would have to be next year.

Ryan Strome is good, but a #2 centreman and will be around what Kadri does.

I'm looking to sell high on JVR. If I'm the Islanders, I wouldn't trade MDC for JVR straight up but if I'm the Leafs, that's what I'm looking for. Everyone knows I'm not a fan of JVR but he does have a lot of value

I really like Ryan Strome. I think he's underappreciated because he's been in the shadows of his younger brother. Dylan has always been hyped up as the better player but I disagree.

Ryan Strome put up 50 points at 21 years old and that's not playing with John Taveras or Kyle Okposo. That's very impressive. Heck JVR at 25 put up only 56 points that's getting far greater minutes and getting to play with Phil Kessel every night

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
You're wrong if you think it isn't a cap move. ++ is exactly what's not affordable from our end. We're sending what would amount to pillars of our future for one player to help now. How does that make sense?

Malkin doesn't make sense for us at all with his injury history.

Malkin is looking more and more like his career will be mostly done by early 30s (or a shadow of his former self) like other once elite players in Bertuzzi, Lindros, Forsberg, Lecalavier, Palffy, Mike Richards were/are by their early 30s as injuries crippled their careers.

Last edited:

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to sell high on JVR. If I'm the Islanders, I wouldn't trade MDC for JVR straight up but if I'm the Leafs, that's what I'm looking for. Everyone knows I'm not a fan of JVR but he does have a lot of value

I really like Ryan Strome. I think he's underappreciated because he's been in the shadows of his younger brother. Dylan has always been hyped up as the better player but I disagree.

Ryan Strome put up 50 points at 21 years old and that's not playing with John Taveras or Kyle Okposo. That's very impressive. Heck JVR at 25 put up only 56 points that's getting far greater minutes and getting to play with Phil Kessel every night
MDC potential is 30/30 per season
JVR is a 30/30 per season player and still young on a bargain contract

Islanders would jump all over this but unfortunately leafs would say no

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Just common sense. The two factors - rebuild and cost - it's a false dichotomy. The cost affects the rebuild which is why we shouldn't proceed.

It's all still assumption until the actual cost is disclosed.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It's all still assumption until the actual cost is disclosed.

But it's redundant info. If the cost is Kessel for Malkin, we don't do it. If the cost is JVR + Rielly/Nylander + 1st, we don't do it. Either way, it's not something we are in a position to do, thinking long-term about what's best.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
But it's redundant info. If the cost is Kessel for Malkin, we don't do it. If the cost is JVR + Rielly/Nylander + 1st, we don't do it. Either way, it's not something we are in a position to do, thinking long-term about what's best.

Why would they not do Kessel for Malkin?

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

I prefer MDC's compete level over JVR's lazy defense. JVR essentially sacrificed all his defensive care for offence and he still couldn't hit 60 points last season.

JVR has hit 60 points once in his career at 26 years old. JVR gets top minutes at his position in the league, gets to play with one of the best offensive players in Phil Kessel and gets top PP minutes without ever getting punished for his poor play. Thank goodness with Babcock around there will probably be more accountibility within the team.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Hockey Central at Noon crew speculates which teams might be calling the Maple Leafs about Phil Kessel, with Elliotte Friedman even suggesting the Flames would be a good fit.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-would-flames-be-a-good-fit-for-kessel/

On the Phil Kessel sweepstakes:

The thing about Kessel is, I just get the sense that now we’re getting to a serious point where if teams out there are going to do it, they’re calling the Maple Leafs and saying, “okay, if we want to do Phil Kessel, what is it going to take?” And the reason I don’t think it’s very far along yet is because, from what I can tell, no one has gone to Kessel yet and said, “what do you think about this?”

He has a no-trade list, there’s eight teams he can go to, but you never know. Sometimes I think those lists aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on, things change in people’s lives, they might look at situations differently now than maybe they did then. If he’s going to be traded, you know he’s going to have to be on board.

Possible teams interested in Phil Kessel:

The way I look at it is this – he hasn’t missed a game either in five years, and that in this League is not easy. Last year was a down year for him, he scored 25 goals. To me (it has to be) a team that thinks it can win in the next 3-4 years. If you look at the numbers, statistically – he’s 27 now – once a scorer hits 31 years old the numbers tend to drop. I think you’re looking at a team that thinks he can make a difference for them in the next 3-4 years.

The first team that jumped into my head was Nashville because they’ve had interest in him in the past. When Toronto got him, Nashville was the other team looking at getting him, but I’m not convinced that Nashville is the place now for a couple reasons. Number one, they have contracts in the next year that they’ve got to do for Seth Jones and Filip Forsberg. And I’m not sure Nashville is the kind of fit that I thought they might’ve been when I first researched it.

The other team I might wonder about would be – and I’m not saying they’re in, please know I’m not saying that they’re in – but I wonder if a team like St. Louis; if you look at St. Louis, they’ve got Brett Hull working for them. Do you not see any kind of similarities between the way Brett Hull was perceived and the way that Phil Kessel is perceived? So I wonder about that kind of institutional knowledge in the organization. The other thing, too, is that St. Louis is a budget team. Can they do Tarasenko and Kessel and everything that comes with that? That would be my question.

I think he’d love to go [to Florida]. The other team I kind of wonder, just with Burke there – and I don’t think Burke is as day-to-day invested, I think Brad Treliving really has a strong handle on that team – but I wonder if a team like Calgary would have any interest just with Burke’s history with him.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i wouldnt be so sure. leafs timeline according to hunter is 3-5 years. it will likely take mdc 3-5 years to be a productive player at jvrs level. in 3 years jvrs sweatheart contract will be over and he will be making ~$7 + million x 6-8 years. if toronto could get a recent 5th overall for jvr i think it is something to strongly consider, especially given the time line. hunter might be able to squeeze a 2nd rounder out of the islanders if we take back some salary as well.

mdc-marner-nylander = :popcorn:

then add in a potential return for kessel. maybe kessel and 24 for ror + 10

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If they want Phil they better be starting with Bennett.

"starting"? As in, they have to add to that?

I would do Phil for Bennett straight up, and personally drive Phil to the airport... while simultaneously welcoming Bennett with as many girls from the Spearmint Rhyno I can get, plus limo'ing him to and from Toronto's finest restaurants, all while having a tee off time booked the next day in the Muskoka's somewhere.

RLF

May 5, 2014
If Columbus is looking for D depth and looking to seriously compete next year...which I think they are and can.

How about,

To CLB
Phaneuf, Percy

To Toronto
Bourque, 2015 1st (8thOA)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I must have missed it. Who is "we", the fans?

I'm about ready to stop discussing this with you. I feel like I'm doing everything short of painting a billboard. I think you understand my views on this and as far as I can tell you don't agree. That's fine. We'll agree to disagree.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm about ready to stop discussing this with you. I feel like I'm doing everything short of painting a billboard. I think you understand my views on this and as far as I can tell you don't agree. That's fine. We'll agree to disagree.

I didn't follow your point, nor did I see a bunch of reasons listed. No worries, I'm sure that's down to me.
IMO, they would absolutely move Kessel for Malkin.

I worked longer today than I had planned, so I'm off. No need to respond.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I prefer MDC's compete level over JVR's lazy defense. JVR essentially sacrificed all his defensive care for offence and he still couldn't hit 60 points last season.

JVR has hit 60 points once in his career at 26 years old. JVR gets top minutes at his position in the league, gets to play with one of the best offensive players in Phil Kessel and gets top PP minutes without ever getting punished for his poor play. Thank goodness with Babcock around there will probably be more accountibility within the team.

I would consider something around JVR for Nelson. Though NYI would have to add. Nelson got off to a hot start last season but cooled off substantially. So it's hard to know exactly where his value lies.

But Strome, Nelson and Lee are all going to be looking for big raises this year and next. So they won't be on ELCs anymore and they'll be on salaries much more comparable to JVR's.

I think Nelson's size could be a big asset with guys like Kadri, Nylander and potentially Marner in our top six. Especially considering JVR has size but you'd not really know it the way he plays.

I also don't see why a team like NJ or Carolina would have interest in JVR right now. They're both terrible and the big appeal to JVR is that his contract is so good. They're in a similar position to us in that it doesn't really matter.

My concern is more with moving Kessel than JVR. Florida still seems like too good of a fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad