GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So I think you can take the "the team is being patient to try and get value from desperate teams" as their actual strategy with a grain of salt. Why sign Holtby then?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'm going go ahead and wager that we aren't gonna get some stud RFA player from Tampa Bay...

After seeing NYI move Toews I think Tampa will have to trade one of Sergachev, Cirelli or Cernak. But yeah, highly doubt either are traded to Vancouver. The rate things are going I am expecting Boychuk traded to Vancouver for our 2021 unprotected 1st round pick.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I see Pettersson and Hughes signing bridge deals next year as much as we would like to sign them to long term deals. With the flat cap, I just don't think they'll be signing long term.

Now IMO (again this is my opinion, all feelings no facts), Pettersson just seems like a win at all cost type of person. I don't think he's happy with how this whole situation played out and I really don't think he has loyalty to the team that drafted him (or any team.) He just seems like he wants to win. We've seen the shift with recent signings of big-ticket RFAs (like Matthews, Marner, etc) and I could see him walking at the end of his bridge deal assuming the team isn't competitive. A lot would have to go wrong IMO for this to happen, but I don't believe he's pleased right now and I don't like how this situation has played out so far.

The Canucks aren't inherently doomed to failure, they're only going to keep failing as long as Jim Benning is running the team. A good GM could turn things around pretty quickly with a 1-2 year retool.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm saying the plan is to not sign 4 year veteran retirement contracts ..The Canucks would have liked to retain Markstrom, and keep Demko..It was never going to happen (you can check my comments on that from the last month)...OEL is the outlier,..but it generally looks like they are going for maximum fiscal flexibility in the next two years.

Well, in 2 years, pretty much all of our bad contracts will be gone. So, if we’re smart, we should be in an extremely good position. The cap will still be flat then, hence there should be deals to be had. I suppose we are just being extremely selective with which contracts we take, which will allow us to be opportunistic elsewhere.

I don’t know.. It’s the only sense I can make as it stands right now.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
So you want MAF @ $7M x 2yrs?

If we were going to just take a step back for a couple of seasons, why not take MAF's contract and get some draft picks for doing so?

MAF's a cup-winning goalie. He'd be just as good of a mentor to Demko as Holtby would be.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
After seeing NYI move Toews I think Tampa will have to trade one of Sergachev, Cirelli or Cernak. But yeah, highly doubt either are traded to Vancouver. The rate things are going I am expecting Boychuk traded to Vancouver for our 2021 unprotected 1st round pick.

We just straight up don't have the excess picks/prospects/assets/cap space to make the kind of trade that will work for these teams that need to do big time cap dumps and can't take any salary back.

If we move that 1st round pick next year we're completely ****ed and should just write off the next 5 years.

Reactions: 420Canuck

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I wonder if Benning sitting on his hands means we're doing Vegas a favor with Schmidt. Jake at 3, Gaudette at 1.5 leaves almost Schmidt's cap hit left. Hmm..

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I wonder if Benning sitting on his hands means we're doing Vegas a favor with Schmidt.

Getting Schmidt with the state that this team is in right now would be an absolute home run; it would help Vegas out but it wouldn’t be a favour at all - we actually desperately could use him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well, in 2 years, pretty much all of our bad contracts will be gone. So, if we’re smart, we should be in an extremely good position. The cap will still be flat then, hence there should be deals to be had. I suppose we are just being extremely selective with which contracts we take, which will allow us to be opportunistic elsewhere.

I don’t know.. It’s the only sense I can make as it stands right now.
People talk about QH/EP raises, but Demko will get a raise next season if he has a good year. Miller and Horvat will undoubtedly get raises in the future so even once all these contracts come off the books, the GM won't exactly be going out on a UFA spending spree.

In 2 years, Miller and Horvat will have only 1 year left on their deals. The only way to really stack the team will be through smart trades, good drafting and development since ELC's and more Miller-type trades will be the only way to properly support that expensive core.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
So you want MAF @ $7M x 2yrs?

I mean it’s not like we’re doing anything with that extra 2.7 million we saved by signing Holtby lol + we would actually get a draft pick for doing so, something Benning has shown he is incompetent at doing.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I'm just hearing the Toffoli news now and I'm sure my "take" is not exactly unique.
Markstrom? Like the guy but 6x6 with no movement clause? With Demko in the background? Thanks for the memories Marky and I wish we could have kept you but see ya later!
Tanev? Absolute warrior. Love the guy! Analytics don't tell the story about how good he is and how important he is to not just the PK and goal prevention but overall to the team. But at that cost and term??? No thanks.
Stecher? Another quality dude who would do anything for the team. And he signed in Detroit for what? We couldn't afford that??? Ok, no big deal, he should only be a #5 or 6, I can get over this.
Toffoli? WTF? Now I'm getting pissed off. Clearly, no offer was made to this guy. We could have easily fit him in at that term and for that contract length. Fit in our top 6 like a glove. This one hurts and is a big loss.

So, two things are possible here. The most likely scenario is that ownership has stepped in. No buy outs, no money buried in Utica. Any money in must be met with money out. Franco the Owner has spoken! Covid has taken its toll and the hockey team is nothing more than a luxury item. Why the hell do we need a Toffoli anyway? Loui can stay in Vancouver - no Utica bus rides for him. No buy outs for Bear Cheese or Sutter. Sorry Jim, you're stuck with what you've already got unless you can make them go away. I can't imagine Jim would have not signed Toffoli if he could have cleared the cap space. In this scenario, while it may have been Jim that screwed up the Cap so badly (with help from the NHL and the absolutely ridiculous, retroactive Luongo cap recapture), I put 90% of the blame on our cheap ownership. Pisses me off when I see other teams (like Vegas) actually trying to win.

Alternatively, the Canucks may be working on something big. Perhaps still working on an OEL deal (though this is not inconsistent with the above considering money in, money out this year). Perhaps working on a trade to bring over a different high-priced defender and Jim is optimistic he can get it down. I think this is unlikely but it remains a possibility.

In any event, I am more upset about the Toffoli situation than any of the prior departures. To me, it is a clear indication that Francesco doesn't give a crap about winning if it costs him any additional money. He'll sit back, tweet his admiration for the young players and do sweet f all to actually do what needs to be done to ice a championship team. What a moron.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I think we'd still be short a defenceman. :laugh:

If you ask me we’d be short 2 but at the very least a top-4 of Hughes - Myers and Edler - Schmidt would be very, very respectable as a start of turning around this train wreck of an off-season.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm just hearing the Toffoli news now and I'm sure my "take" is not exactly unique.
Markstrom? Like the guy but 6x6 with no movement clause? With Demko in the background? Thanks for the memories Marky and I wish we could have kept you but see ya later!
Tanev? Absolute warrior. Love the guy! Analytics don't tell the story about how good he is and how important he is to not just the PK and goal prevention but overall to the team. But at that cost and term??? No thanks.
Stecher? Another quality dude who would do anything for the team. And he signed in Detroit for what? We couldn't afford that??? Ok, no big deal, he should only be a #5 or 6, I can get over this.
Toffoli? WTF? Now I'm getting pissed off. Clearly, no offer was made to this guy. We could have easily fit him in at that term and for that contract length. Fit in our top 6 like a glove. This one hurts and is a big loss.

So, two things are possible here. The most likely scenario is that ownership has stepped in. No buy outs, no money buried in Utica. Any money in must be met with money out. Franco the Owner has spoken! Covid has taken its toll and the hockey team is nothing more than a luxury item. Why the hell do we need a Toffoli anyway? Loui can stay in Vancouver - no Utica bus rides for him. No buy outs for Bear Cheese or Sutter. Sorry Jim, you're stuck with what you've already got unless you can make them go away. I can't imagine Jim would have not signed Toffoli if he could have cleared the cap space. In this scenario, while it may have been Jim that screwed up the Cap so badly (with help from the NHL and the absolutely ridiculous, retroactive Luongo cap recapture), I put 90% of the blame on our cheap ownership. Pisses me off when I see other teams (like Vegas) actually trying to win.

Alternatively, the Canucks may be working on something big. Perhaps still working on an OEL deal (though this is not inconsistent with the above considering money in, money out this year). Perhaps working on a trade to bring over a different high-priced defender and Jim is optimistic he can get it down. I think this is unlikely but it remains a possibility.

In any event, I am more upset about the Toffoli situation than any of the prior departures. To me, it is a clear indication that Francesco doesn't give a crap about winning if it costs him any additional money. He'll sit back, tweet his admiration for the young players and do sweet f all to actually do what needs to be done to ice a championship team. What a moron.

The third, and simplest, option is that that they just f***ed up by chasing a bunch of deals when they hadn't given themselves enough cap flexibility to be able to have contingency plans in place.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Getting Schmidt with the state that this team is in right now would be an absolute home run; it would help Vegas out but it wouldn’t be a favour at all - we actually desperately could use him.
Vegas is currently 6.9m over the cap
Would still be 900k over even without Schimt, there’s no way we get him without sending cap back, unless we dump Virtanen

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Funny how “short term it sucks, long term its for the best” is exactly what tankers were screeching for years to commit to some semblance of a rebuild and gain extra picks. Not half ass everything and spent to the cap all those years while signing win now players to bloated unprecedented contracts

Except clearly this wasn’t even management’s plan, considering they pursued OEL and Barrie (among other rumours).

The “short term pain” the “tankers” preached was part of a plan (or hope) to build a strong core for the future.

The “short term pain” (pretty long term actually) that has actually occurred is completely due to management’s ineptitude and lack of a proper plan.

EDIT: NVM, It seems I’ve misunderstood your post and we’re on the same page

Reactions: Dave Lister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad