GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2022 - DAY 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
yes? You have a 7th defenceman and a 13th forward in the press box. There is no need for an 8th defenceman considering you have more cap flexibility, your farm team is an hour away, and that extra defenceman would be better off staying warm by playing in the AHL.
Half of our games require multi-hour flights to get to…

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Dan Hamhuis, Willie Mitchell and Alex Burrows still remain the best UFA's this franchise has signed in the past 20 years.

Edit: Tanev as well.

You get guys like Anson Carter and Vrbata that were pretty good bargains as well.

The rest (mostly from the Benning era)? Holy f***.

Seems pretty obvious to avoid big named UFA's- only taking guys in their prime willing to sign a discount or signing youngish guys with potential on league min deals.
Malhotra and Samuelsson would like to have a word...

Reactions: BimJenning

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Palat just got the Eriksson/Backes/Lucic special.

He's been a good player but these 5+ year deals to 50-point 2nd liners who are 31 years old *always* turn out terribly.

NJD with the big time "groom left you at the altar so you grab the closest man to marry" move.

Had a layup to add an elite player and meaningfully push the team forward and couldn't pony up the extra ~500-750k a year to do it. Then takes that ~9MM they had earmarked for Gaudreau and invest 6MM of it into Palat's thanks-for-the-cups contract that Tampa couldn't afford to give him.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Dan Hamhuis, Willie Mitchell and Alex Burrows still remain the best UFA's this franchise has signed in the past 20 years.

Edit: Tanev as well.

You get guys like Anson Carter and Vrbata that were pretty good bargains as well.

The rest (mostly from the Benning era)? Holy f***.

Seems pretty obvious to avoid big named UFA's- only taking guys in their prime willing to sign a discount or signing youngish guys with potential on league min deals.
Yep. Its why i really dislike the idea that OEL or Myers (or 90% of benning signings) are fair value. Fair Value isn't what you should be going for as the market seems kinda bad at determining that.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Could also put the Avs in some cap trouble? Maybe we could purloin someone out of there (of course, we are stupidly in cap trouble as well.)
God, I wish we had just pushed harder for Byram pre-Cup run. Sakic likely would have let him go straight up or with a 2nd/3rd rounder attached.

He really came into his own.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The annoying thing with that Palat deal is that it effectively takes NJ out of re-signing Miller too lol

A bunch of teams in our division are the ones that have freed up cap space the past few days - Edmonton, Calgary, Vegas, San Jose, even LA as they didn't land anyone. No chance JT is re-signing in Alberta, so take those out even if there was a deal appetite. Grier should be fired instantly if he even tries to add a pending FA. Vegas - who knows what they're thinking or planning - but it would be mental to trade a PPG forward for nothing just to trade assets for another slightly cheaper one. So that leaves LA?

Florida could make something happen if they only care about Miller as a rental. Same with Tampa and probably Carolina. Philly could make it work (with an extension) if we took back JVR, but then we'd have to dump cap somewhere else. Do the Rangers circle back after Trocheck? Pittsburgh?

We also never really talk about the midwest teams - Chicago, Arizona, Winnipeg, no. Dallas - do they have the assets? They have cap space with Klingberg gone. Minnesota? No cap. St. Louis? Maybe if they want to make another run they'd have interest at the deadline? Colorado as a pure one year rental to replace Kadri?

Columbus does seem like the best option if they're willing, followed by Washington.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
NJD with the big time "groom left you at the altar so you grab the closest man to marry" move.

Had a layup to add an elite player and meaningfully push the team forward and couldn't pony up the extra ~500-750k a year to do it. Then takes that ~9MM they had earmarked for Gaudreau and invest 6MM of it into Palat's thanks-for-the-cups contract that Tampa couldn't afford to give him.

NJ has Benning'ed their window here between this and the godawful Dougie Hamilton signing.

That's going to be close to $15 million in dead cap in a couple years when they could have added a Panarin-level talent to their rebuild. Crazy. I honestly have no idea what they're thinking.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

FA is great when you are filling out spots in your bottom 6, or landing a Panarin or a Gaudreau. 95% of the time, everywhere else in between that holds a huge margin of error. Like I've said, don't be afraid to dig in the bargain bin...ever. Those signings are low-risk, high-reward.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Palat just got the Eriksson/Backes/Lucic special.

He's been a good player but these 5+ year deals to 50-point 2nd liners who are 31 years old *always* turn out terribly.
I think Andrew Ladd Is the best example. Both him and Palat were second line gritty two way forwards who had won in the playoffs.

Reactions: MS

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
God, I wish we had just pushed harder for Byram pre-Cup run. Sakic likely would have let him go straight up or with a 2nd/3rd rounder attached.

He really came into his own.

I'm actually kind of astounded at how many people didn't want to take a run at him because of his concussion issues. The kid drips talent, I'll take a risk on that.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
CBJ adding Miller/Gaudreau would shoot them into at least mid-contender status.
They do need to acquire a C. Sillinger/Roslovic isnt going to get it done. But they also have to re-sign Laine so there could be some cap problems.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Would've taken Pysyk here in the role they were considering Stecher for. Him and Dermott could've been an effective third pairing.

Reactions: timw33

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
wonder why bergeron and krejci haven’t signed yet…

(i want bergeron)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Larsson signed with the Pens and Domingue with the Rangers, fwiw. Had Larsson as a 3C target - think he would've been solid in a matchup role with Mikheyev and Garland.
Garland cannot be a matchup line guy. Just not consistently defensively responsible. Has to be a scoring line play driver.

Mikheyev with Pearson is probably how I would go about things for a matchup line.

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad