Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
For all the random meats he eats to optimize his physique, he's become pretty damn soft on the ice. Like yeah he played a full season, but he's softer than butter.

Can't wait to move him
Must be all that vegan propaganda and the war on masculinity making him more docile. That or he ate too much sunscreen.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
1718731080959.gif

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Markstrom + CGY 1st (#9 overall) for Forsberg + OTT 1st (#7 overall) + Something

Just curious how much/what pieces people would be comfortably adding to this deal to make it happen. Personally I'd give up "a lot" in the sense I'd move a lot of quantity to make that swap.

Just curious about other Sens fans perception of this deal and if Markstrom is a guy worth going all-in on.
Markstrom + CGY 1st (#9 overall) for Forsberg + OTT 1st (#7 overall) + Something

Just curious how much/what pieces people would be comfortably adding to this deal to make it happen. Personally I'd give up "a lot" in the sense I'd move a lot of quantity to make that swap.

Just curious about other Sens fans perception of this deal and if Markstrom is a guy worth going all-in on.
I throw in JBD or Kastelic

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
screenshot-2024-06-18-at-2-46-55%E2%80%AFpm-png.883976

I posted this in the draft thread, but it might be more applicable here.

That is apparently close to "fair" value for swapping 7 and 9.

If our target is Markstrom, and we work backwards, the two questions I would have are:
  1. What is Markstrom's value expressed only in draft picks? Is he worth more or less than a high 2nd?
  2. Is this a unique situation where there should be a premium on swapping picks because of Iginla's marketing value to Calgary?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We need Tanev more than we need a Karlsson type.

I would be fine with Karlsson if it was a lateral move with Chabot going the other way and the cap somehow equaled out.

I don't think Tanev will get 4-5 years at his age. I would suspect 3 years would be enough to beat out everybody else. He is 34 years old.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
screenshot-2024-06-18-at-2-46-55%E2%80%AFpm-png.883976

I posted this in the draft thread, but it might be more applicable here.

That is apparently close to "fair" value for swapping 7 and 9.

If our target is Markstrom, and we work backwards, the two questions I would have are:
  1. What is Markstrom's value expressed only in draft picks? Is he worth more or less than a high 2nd?
  2. Is this a unique situation where there should be a premium on swapping picks because of Iginla's marketing value to Calgary?

I don't think the calculator is accurate for movements within the top 10, probably due to a lack of sample size.

Trade downs in the top 10 are very rare and the reason they are very rare is because the cost demanded is often exorbidant, unjustifiably so in most cases.

Part of it is human nature. The regret of missing out on their BPA by moving down for an extra pick overpowers the logical part of the brain.

If we trade down with Calgary and go from 7th to 9th, it would certainly cost at least the 41st OVR pick with no addition from the Sens. If anything they'd probably demand the 28th OVR.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Bruce on the brothers Tanev...

The Senators tried to bring in Tanev last season to help provide veteran help, but he wouldn’t waive his no move close to be dealt to Ottawa by the Calgary Flames. He wanted a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup and was able to advance to the Western Conference final with the Dallas Stars.

But there has been an interesting twist to this story that may help propel the 34-year-old Tanev to sign with the Senators.

A league executive confirmed a report that the Senators have held talks with the Seattle Kraken about Tanev’s brother, Brandon, a 32-year-old veteran winger who could play a third-or-fourth line role with Ottawa.

He was claimed by the Kraken in the expansion draft and is headed into the final year of his contract at $3.5 million. The 32-year-old had seven goals and 16 points in 66 games with Seattle last year.

To fit that salary under the cap, the Senators are trying to move winger Mathieu Joseph before the NHL draft is held June 28-29 at The Sphere in Vegas. The belief Ottawa isn’t looking for much in return because he has two years left at $2.95 million per-season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Would you guys rather have Karlsson at 9 mil (1 mil retained) for 3 more years, or Chris Tanev at 5.5 mil per for 4 or 5 years?
Tanev

We need Tanev more than we need a Karlsson type.

I would be fine with Karlsson if it was a lateral move with Chabot going the other way and the cap somehow equaled out.

I don't think Tanev will get 4-5 years at his age. I would suspect 3 years would be enough to beat out everybody else. He is 34 years old.
We may need to go 4 x 4.5M to get Tanev.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Tanev brothers are exactly what we need.
Would agree with that for sure

Chris at least, Brandon doesn’t improve the team at all other than possibly tempting Chris to join.

It’s a wicked hare brained scheme, reminds me of the Dorion Sens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Add the 2 Tanev’s for 8M, cast off Joseph, pick up a vet RHD to help Klevin or a vet LHD to help JBD for 1.5. Spend 7M on Pinto, Kelly and a vet 4th liner. That leaves about 2M to fix the goaltending.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Tanev brothers are exactly what we need.
If they were a few years younger they'd be absolutely perfect, but as is they are still about as close as it gets.

My preference would still be Pesce, but the difference is cost likely makes Tanev a better fit.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Add the 2 Tanev’s for 8M, cast off Joseph, pick up a vet RHD to help Klevin or a vet LHD to help JBD for 1.5. Spend 7M on Pinto, Kelly and a vet 4th liner. That leaves about 2M to fix the goaltending.
Pinto gonna be a bridge deal + the money from Forsberg. I think we can add a good goalie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If they were a few years younger they'd be absolutely perfect, but as is they are still about as close as it gets.

My preference would still be Pesce, but the difference is cost likely makes Tanev a better fit.
I keep going to the Staios comments about needed solid pros to help the core. To me that signals management and Martin/Alfie think we have the pieces to be a good team but they need more veteran leadership. It’s not about adding more talent, it’s about surrounding our talent with guys who can hold their teammates accountable.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I keep going to the Staios comments about needed solid pros to help the core. To me that signals management and Martin/Alfie think we have the pieces to be a good team but they need more veteran leadership. It’s not about adding more talent, it’s about surrounding our talent with guys who can hold their teammates accountable.
Sure, though I think Pesce does that too

The potential advantage of Tanev, is it allows us more flexibility like upgrading Joseph,

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think the calculator is accurate for movements within the top 10, probably due to a lack of sample size.

Trade downs in the top 10 are very rare and the reason they are very rare is because the cost demanded is often exorbidant, unjustifiably so in most cases.

Part of it is human nature. The regret of missing out on their BPA by moving down for an extra pick overpowers the logical part of the brain.

If we trade down with Calgary and go from 7th to 9th, it would certainly cost at least the 41st OVR pick with no addition from the Sens. If anything they'd probably demand the 28th OVR.

My intuition on this is the same as what you outlined.

Tanev

We may need to go 4 x 4.5M to get Tanev.

I would do it, knowing it will be a buyout in years 3 or 4, because winning this year is very important (according to a league executive) if we want to keep Tkachuk.

We need to make the playoffs and create some magic. With the rising cap, buying out the final year of the contract won't be too bad.

I still think that no one is going longer than 2 years at 4.5M+, but I could be wrong.

Sure, though I think Pesce does that too

The potential advantage of Tanev, is it allows us more flexibility like upgrading Joseph,

I mean, I am sure they would love to get Pesce, but I don't think it's realistic.

The only reason Tanev is realistic is because he is 34 years old, so we can leverage against our undesirableness as a destination by overpaying him in term.

The problem with Pesce is that multiple teams will line up to give him full term and top dollars. So at that point it's less about money and more about choosing his ideal destination.

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
As much as it concerns me, I think our 7OA pick is in play to fix the goaltending. Not as a standalone piece but part of a bigger deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad