Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
AAV is probably not the sticking point with a contract like this.

It is probably other factors like term, trade protection, buyout proof signing bonuses, etc.

Look at the structure of the previous contract Ullmark signed, and see how protective it is for him. Now consider that he is a bigger star with more leverage than when he signed that.

It could be something like, he wants a NMC every year, and they only want him to get one for half the contract.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
This makes sense when the player isn't aware they are being moved, but far less so when they fully know they will be moved. Relationships go both ways, and it doesn't do you much good to waste another teams time if the player isn't going to waive, it just pisses everyone involved off especially when a player is hearing his name in the media going to a team on his list and nobody bothered checking with him

Many teams inquire on the player though and sometimes even though a team asks about him he may be on that players NTC list but sometimes (like in the Sens case) they convinced Ullmark to waive .

But you wouldn’t go to your player trying to get multiple teams to waive to that are on his list if a deal isn’t agreed upon.

I see what you are saying as well but that’s where you reassure your player in some situations and honest in others in terms of which teams really want the player and have legitimate interest and not just kicking the can

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Boston: 25th OA & Forsberg G ($2.750 mil out)
To Philly: Korpisalo G & Joseph LW/RW ($6.950 mil out)
To Ott: Ullmark G, Oliver Bonk RD & Johansen C ($9 mil in) - difference $.7K out

- everyone in this deal is signed for next yr, it's the extension to Ullmark that's in question
- Bost get a another 1st rd pick to help retool their prospect pool & an affordable backup goalie
- Philly get rid of a bad contract & acquire a #1 goalie which they lack & a speedy winger
- Ott gets their #1 goalie, but have to take on a bad contract to acquire a good young RD

To Winn: 39th OA, Chychrun LD & Hamonic RD - ($5.7 mil out)
To Ott: Ehlers LW & McGroarty C ($6 mil in) - difference $.3K in
- Ehlers is likely gone & McGroarty wants out
- Winn adds a top 4 LD & with no first rd pick add the 39th OA pick
- Ott gets a decent winger & a decent young C
- Hamonic goes home & balances out the money

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson - 21
Greig - Stutzle - Pinto - 14
Elhers - Johansen - Giroux - 15
Ostapchuk - Kastelic - MacEwan - 3 = $53

Chabot - DeMello = 12.4
Sanderson - Zub - 12.6
Kleven - JBD - 2 = $27 mil

Ullmark - Brossoit - $7 = $87 mil

Prospect Pool:
1. #7th OA - NHL potential
2. McGroarty C - NHL potential
3. Bonk RD - NHL potential
4. Jarventie LW / Crookshank LW - ???
5. Sogaard G - ???
6. Halliday C - NHL potential
7. Donovan LD - NHL potential
8. Guennette RD - NHL potential
9. Petersson RW - ???
10. Merilainen G / Matinpalo RD - ???

Reactions: Icelevel

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
That would be an absolute coup.

I would honestly trade away Norris to get his cap off the books.

They wouldn’t be confident trading back if they wanted Sennecke I wouldn’t think, chances of him being at 12 is nearly nil.

If pieces from the Philly trade are needed the deal won’t be going through for another week.
You think so? I can’t get a read on him.
Lots of chatter about being a riser, but I’ve also seen him in the last 2nd half of RD 1.

Bobs list will give us a pretty good idea I guess.

Reactions: Dionysus

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
This makes sense when the player isn't aware they are being moved, but far less so when they fully know they will be moved. Relationships go both ways, and it doesn't do you much good to waste another teams time if the player isn't going to waive, it just pisses everyone involved off especially when a player is hearing his name in the media going to a team on his list and nobody bothered checking with him

It’s probably in between.

There certainly doesn’t need to be an agreed upon deal for the Bruins to ask Ullmark to waive, but they have to believe there’s a reasonable path to a deal.

Reactions: PlayOn

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Ullmark is a good goalie. Better then Korpi. We're gonna see Ullmark get lit up just like every other goalie we've had for the last decade minus Anderson. Good goalie looking great behind a great team.

This is gonna be another horrible trade. Just another Chychrun and Debrincat trade.

We need a RD and a better bottom 6, all while having better coaching.

:thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:
So you just like to discount the #1 selling point that he played well behind a porous Buffalo team?

Yes we need better defensive structure and players; we're also working on that. That is free agency and the team needs the goalie contract in place so they can plan what they have to spend.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I doubt anything gets announced or even leaked until after game 7 tomorrow.

I know those other deals went through last week, but that was when everyone thought the series was over.

Gary is going to tell teams to stfu before what’s probably going to be the biggest game, from a viewership perspective, in NHL history.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I doubt anything gets announced or even leaked until after game 7 tomorrow.

I know those other deals went through last week, but that was when everyone thought the series was over.

Gary is going to tell teams to stfu before what’s probably going to be the biggest game, from a viewership perspective, in NHL history.

Yep. Will likely drag out further. Fingers crossed the Sens don't give up too much of a haul if it gets to the finish line.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You think so? I can’t get a read on him.
Lots of chatter about being a riser, but I’ve also seen him in the last 2nd half of RD 1.

Bobs list will give us a pretty good idea I guess.
Yeah I think it’s all but a guarantee, not sure he gets past 6/7, but I don’t think there is a chance he makes it to 12.

Sens do like him, that’s for sure. But if they wanted to take him I’m not sure they’d feel safe moving back to 12.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Just to add context.
It was apparently pretty close earlier in the weekend in the sense that he has waived and something with Boston has been agreed to which is why I think all these rumours are popping up.

I don’t think there is a legitimate 3 way trade happening, but I think Ottawa is confident enough to trade back with Philly and get another asset to flip to Boston.

Makes me think they are high on Sennecke.

Who, Philly? Because Sennecke is not likely to make it to 12.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Yeah I think it’s all but a guarantee, not sure he gets past 6/7, but I don’t think there is a chance he makes it to 12.

Sens do like him, that’s for sure. But if they wanted to take him I’m not sure they’d feel safe moving back to 12.

You’re not moving to 12 hoping to pick a Sennecke or Yakemchuk. There’s a reasonable chance both are gone.

You’re moving to 12 if you’re comfortable picking a Solberg or Brandsegg-Nygard.

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Just to add context.
It was apparently pretty close earlier in the weekend in the sense that he has waived and something with Boston has been agreed to which is why I think all these rumours are popping up.

I don’t think there is a legitimate 3 way trade happening, but I think Ottawa is confident enough to trade back with Philly and get another asset to flip to Boston.

Makes me think they are high on Sennecke.
I hope Chabot not involved in the trade to Philly

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
You’re not moving to 12 hoping to pick a Sennecke or Yakemchuk. There’s a reasonable chance both are gone.

You’re moving to 12 if you’re comfortable picking a Solberg or Brandsegg-Nygard.

This is the reason I hate the idea of trading back to 12 so much. It's giving this scouting staff the ability to take their favourite guy from a lower tier of prospect (see Tyler Boucher). This is how Cole Beaudoin goes 12th overall.

Just keep 7 and take a truly high end player. With any luck, it'll be the last top 10 pick we have for a long time.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Because if you don’t have a deal with another team you wouldn’t ask your player to waive .

What’s lost on HF boards is that ownership and management like to keep players happy and those relationships are real and an underrated aspect of trade negotiations.

You wouldn’t ask a player to waive unless you are close to a deal otherwise you are just stressing the player and pissing him off

Well unless you're Kelly "players are cattle" McCrimmon.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Many teams inquire on the player though and sometimes even though a team asks about him he may be on that players NTC list but sometimes (like in the Sens case) they convinced Ullmark to waive .

But you wouldn’t go to your player trying to get multiple teams to waive to that are on his list if a deal isn’t agreed upon.

I see what you are saying as well but that’s where you reassure your player in some situations and honest in others in terms of which teams really want the player and have legitimate interest and not just kicking the can
I mean, it's been reported in the past when teams go to the player about expanding the teams their willing to accept a trade to, we did with Heatley, though he didn't honor the expansion as it wasn't made official.

It doesn't need to be formal (unless you have a hostile player relationship) but clearing a team prior when things get serious makes absolute sense for all involved.

Reactions: DJB

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I count 14 very good players, so if we trade back. Good chance we have one

It's easy for fans to point to a jumble of 14 guys and say let's just take whoever's left, but scouting staffs are paid to form opinions and distinguish between these players. They inevitably like some guys more than others, and don't like some guys at all.

Just today, the NJ Devils head scout did an interview where he said he thought there were 9-10 top guys in this class.

These slots matter.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Keep #7 ffs playing a risky game trading back and hoping the player you want is available
If they’re fine trading back, it’s either because they are not high on any of the available guys, or they have a guy much higher than he’s expected to go, like MBN/Solberg, etc. that should be there at 12.

It sucks in my opinion moving back because I really like 3/4 guys who won’t be available at 12 for pick 7, but the scouts for Ottawa likely have a guy ranked quite high who we here do not have quite as high b

Reactions: Alex1234

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
It's easy for fans to point to a jumble of 14 guys and say let's just take whoever's left, but scouting staffs are paid to form opinions and distinguish between these players. They inevitably like some guys more than others, and don't like some guys at all.

Just today, the NJ Devils head scout did an interview where he said he thought there were 9-10 top guys in this class.

Dropping from seven might not make a difference in who they select, but there's a good chance that it does.

You also have to cut through the PR. With this quote, there are 9-10 top players and it just so happens the Devils have the 10th pick! So no matter what happens, they’ll get a guy from that first tier.

I bet if they had the 11th pick, there’d be 10-11 top players…

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad