Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think he's ever wanted to be here, which will probably be considered a hot take by most. Big Keith kinda slipped up on the locked on sens podcast a few years ago and said neither he nor Brady were thrilled to be selected by us. Feels like we had to give him the captaincy and both him and his bestie fat contracts to placate him.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go next year especially if we have a bad season.
When you look at the ownership/management situation at the time, it would make sense. It was mickey mouse low budget operation. Then you come aboard and you watch guys like Stone walk away.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brady to St. Lewis
Kyrou to Ottowa

E5

If this was an Eklund rumor there would be some totally nonsensical part that sounds like an AI came up with it like:

"Ottawa GM Steve Staios loves Kyrou and wanted him for years in Edmonton but St.Louis will only part with him in a Tkachuk trade if Ottawa adds in Tyler Boucher. Staios is reticent to give up on Boucher and would prefer St.Louis take Ridley Greig or Shane Pinto."

• Haha
Reactions: StoicSensFan

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I would not be surprised if that's the case and as we've seen in the past, where there's smoke there's usually fire. People like JR don't typically stir up rumours with guys of that caliber (and captain of the team) unless there is some type of indication that something is going on in the first place.

With where this team is at and with Tkachuk having only 4 years left on his deal, I think this is the time where Staios needs to sit down and ask what Brady wants for his future. If he knows for sure that he doesn't want to be here long term, and that's possible, then Staios knows he needs to trade him at some point so we don't end up losing him for a diminshed return in the future.

If Tkachuk doesn't want to stay long term and Staios is actually looking into this possibility, I commend him for doing so because It's an incredibly difficult decision to make but a necessary one. In 4 years Tkachuk's contract is done and this team will not be a contender the way it's currently constructed. If absolutely everything goes right, this team may be comfortably in a playoff spot in 2-3 years - at which point Brady will be on the last years of his deal and in full control of his future. For the future of this team it may not be the best idea to wait until then.

It's scary and dissapointing to think about but we are a small market team and everything needs to be calculated and accounted for. Not many players want to spend their careers here and that will not change until the team is succesful. Brady has seen his brother go from Calgary to Florida and I'm sure he's extremely envious seeing how happy he has been since the change was made. It's been nothing short of a shitshow in Ottawa since Brady got into the league and things have not changed one bit. I don't see any reason for Tkachuk to want to stay here when he could be anywhere he wants to. I've been thinking about this possibility since the mid point of this season and even without the media talking about it, It just seems like it's somewhat inevitable.

It will be another difficult few years in Sens land.

I don't think this holds true at all anymore. More often than not, what looks like smoke is just a cloud of content created off of a single report from a questionable source.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It wouldn't be the Sens if there wasn't speculation about players getting traded.

Spezza, Karlsson and now Tkachuk.

Lets hope that Brady doesn't follow the same path as those players.

But one more shit season and i think he will want out. He probably already has thoughts about it. One more failed season may just push him over the top.

It's not the Sens, it's every team that is bad for a near decade with no end in sight.

Stars with leverage ask out.

Other than Spezza, the Sens were pretty good about keeping their stars and key players during the last build. It was just that their budget prevented them from adding the 1 or 2 missing pieces they needed to get to the next level.

It wasn't until the budget got squeezed out with the RFA years of the big players and they started the tear down that guys were in trade speculation. Part of the problem is that they sold the selloff as something it wasn't and they didn't seem to have a legitimate desire to keep anybody, but they sold the fans false hope in fear of the season ticket numbers getting any worse.

This situation now is a bit different than any situation we have been in during the past. We have never had a failed build like this one. Even the 2012-2018 team made the playoffs on and off. It's pretty common for players to ask out after 5+ years of failing with no end in sight.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't buy it one bit. The franchise has made Brady the center attraction and main piece for half a decade now. Team trades him under any circumstances and CTC will be empty for the foreseeable future. Even a trade where we get great value in return.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Brady made 10.5 M last year (2023/2024)
He is set to make 10.5 in 24/25 and 25/26

in 25/26 his NMC kicks in.

So, he is owed ~ 36 M for the next 4 years (average 9 M), and will have a NMC kicking in. The 9 M is ~ 800 K above his AAV. And his 9 M will be on a team that is 1-2 years away. So in 2026/207 when this team may hit FYOUS. He will be 27, have an NMC, have been paid a chunk of his contract. And has accumulated 8 years of NHL hardship!!! which is about 6 fights a year, or some 50 by that time. And that does not include face rubs, pushing and shoving and so on.

And Big Walt and he may not be too happy!

As hard as this is to take, but the team may have little choice but to move on.

FYOUS really did need to hit in 2021/2022.. It would have been perfect. BY 2026/2027 it is on the down side and we trade him and others to quickly retool!!!

The perfect plan that the Euge and Dorion f***ed up.

I don't buy it one bit. The franchise has made Brady the center attraction and main piece for half a decade now. Team trades him under any circumstances and CTC will be empty for the foreseeable future. Even a trade where we get great value in return.
Nac.. see #8,735

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brady made 10.5 M last year (2023/2024)
He is set to make 10.5 in 24/25 and 25/26

in 25/26 his NMC kicks in.

So, he is owed ~ 36 M for the next 4 years (average 9 M), and will have a NMC kicking in. The 9 M is ~ 800 K above his AAV. And his 9 M will be on a team that is 1-2 years away. So in 2026/207 when this team may hit FYOUS. He will be 27, have an NMC, have been paid a chunk of his contract. And has accumulated 8 years of NHL hardship!!! which is about 6 fights a year, or some 50 by that time. And that does not include face rubs, pushing and shoving and so on.

And Big Walt and he may not be too happy!

As hard as this is to take, but the team may have little choice but to move on.

FYOUS really did need to hit in 2021/2022.. It would have been perfect. BY 2026/2027 it is on the down side and we trade him and others to quickly retool!!!

The perfect plan that the Euge and Dorion f***ed up.
FYOUS was an empty shell of nothing conjured up by a lunatic owner. There's no point bringing it up anymore as any sort of measuring stick. It was just words with no real plan.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Staios isn't trading Tkachuk unless the deal is far too good to turn down. He'll be smart to have a discussion with him about his future, but at the same time, Staios has to step up and make some roster moves that make this team competitive.

If Staios acquires an RD and a goalie at the least, he'll wait to see how the season goes before seriously consider moving the one guy the previous regime put their everything behind.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
FYOUS was an empty shell of nothing conjured up by a lunatic owner. There's no point bringing it up anymore as any sort of measuring stick. It was just words with no real plan.
Bon.. it was perfect.

All pieces of the puzzle fitting just right.

It kicks in in 2021/2022.. Chabot, Norris, Tkachuk and Batherson on years 1.. 5 years later, we start shipping them out. If successful, then other players acquired 2015-219 would have been in the trade queue.
3-4 years later, Stuzzle, Klevin, Pinto, Creig
1 year after a 32/33 year old Sanderson.

All moved at ages 28-32. All returning #1s. To retool with.

Whether accidently or brilliantly. Those Morons concocted the perfect plan.. The Moron side of them, f***ed it up.

Like the Morons in Chicago, who in 2017 needed to start shipping pieces out
And the Morons in Pitt, who in 2019 needed to start shipping pieces out.

Ohh.. Those idiots had no idea (our Idiots; Dorion and Melnyk) just what they had stumbled on.

Ohh well. Buffalo hood is a nice neighborhood.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bon.. it was perfect.

All pieces of the puzzle fitting just right.

It kicks in in 2021/2022.. Chabot, Norris, Tkachuk and Batherson on years 1.. 5 years later, we start shipping them out. If successful, then other players acquired 2015-219 would have been in the trade queue.
3-4 years later, Stuzzle, Klevin, Pinto, Creig
1 year after a 32/33 year old Sanderson.

All moved at ages 28-32. All returning #1s. To retool with.

Whether accidently or brilliantly. Those Morons concocted the perfect plan.. The Moron side of them, f***ed it up.

Like the Morons in Chicago, who in 2017 needed to start shipping pieces out
And the Morons in Pitt, who in 2019 needed to start shipping pieces out.

Ohh.. Those idiots had no idea (our Idiots; Dorion and Melnyk) just what they had stumbled on.

Ohh well. Buffalo hood is a nice neighborhood.
The timeline was just an imaginary target. Total bullocks from a raging lunatic. It was not based in reality or on facts, it was just some stupid word salad with an insulting acronym he put together to try to make it look like their selloff had a definite payoff. You can't put a date so early on something with so many variables involved. It just doesn't work like that. Maybe they believed it themselves though, that wouldn't surprise me.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If the Sens trade Zub instead of getting another player like him I can confidently say Staios is shit.
It would depend upon what player/pick we get back for Zub. But definitely Staios would be nearing the "Shit List" territory where Dorion is firmly and irrevocably positioned!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brossoit or Stolarz isn't going to be the main driver for the 24-25 Senators being a Playoff team.
If they are to make the Playoffs, Green's coaching needs to click and the team will have to play consistently better in front of their goalies.
I doubt that one of Brossoit or Stolarz will fix the problem; definitely the coaching must improve the defensive play of all skaters on the team in all 3 zones.

Bag Skates are NOT the solution.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If they have to trade Brady next year, they will pull a Bobby Ryan by acquiring Erik Karlsson to try and change the conversation.

You already saw some of the fans turn on Brady because of his very poor choice of words when he was trying to be a captain and deflect the heat off of DJ, but made the mistake of accusing the fans of not being able to withstand adversity after they dealt with a decade of Melnyk destroying their team and shipping out all their stars for pennies on the dollar (got lucky with the Karlsson return).

A few Garrioch hit pieces and the majority on Twitter will start questioning whether that was in fact Brady in the Zapruder film.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If you're moaning about this team when the season is already over you're a loser.
We're in the off season and the new GM has a job to do.
Let him do it for f*** sake.
There's small vocal minority of "die-hard" fans that are absolutely brutal. These people look forward to negativity because they're a lousy bunch.
I'm on board the Staois train.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We get one more failed season before that becomes reality imo, but I don't know how long people expect that to go on before he looks to move on. 1/3 of his career is over and he hasn't played a game that means shit yet.
Staios has a lot of work to do to upgrade the roster and get this team into the playoffs. His time is limited. No time for "patience"; it's time to act!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Can't see Tampa moving Jeannot. they emptied out their draft capital for him and wont get nearly as close of a return if they move 1.5 seasons later.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Staios has a lot of work to do to upgrade the roster and get this team into the playoffs. His time is limited. No time for "patience"; it's time to act!
I actually think patience is required, even if it ends up with divorce with Brady. We saw how dangerous it was to have an over reactionary GM in PD and the path of destruction that was left. If they can make some under the radar savvy moves and at least get things trending in the right direction, that is a good start, but I don't think fixing everything in one summer is realistic. They're thin on currency, don't have much pressing from the minors, have the worst goaltending tandem in the league, one of which is an unmovable albatross contract, and they aren't starting from a place where they were close to anything. It's gonna take a little bit, unfortunately, and imo, if Korpisalo is back for ~40 games, it's already over anyways.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
A few Garrioch hit pieces and the majority on Twitter will start questioning whether that was in fact Brady in the Zapruder film.
LMAO

I actually think patience is required, even if it ends up with divorce with Brady. We saw how dangerous it was to have an over reactionary GM in PD and the path of destruction that was left. If they can make some under the radar savvy moves and at least get things trending in the right direction, that is a good start, but I don't think fixing everything in one summer is realistic. They're thin on currency, don't have much pressing from the minors, have the worst goaltending tandem in the league, and aren't starting from a place where they were close to anything. It's gonna take a little bit, unfortunately.
If we lose Brady we gotta rebuild anyway, so might as well go all-in to appease him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If we lose Brady we gotta rebuild anyway, so might as well go all-in to appease him.
I don't think it has to be that way as black and white. It would be a pretty hard reset, but he's not a guy that I think they'd have to sell low on, so at least the return should be strong and they have other pieces like Tim and Sandy to build around.

There's no changing the position EM/PD put this franchise in.

Ultimately, I think SS will improve things enough to have Brady on board, I'm just acknowledging the possibility that if things do go sideways again, and it's negative town, it's not unreasonable to thing BT could want to move on to capitalize on his prime. It'll be his call in the end either way. Hopefully, he's forgiving with the situation SS inherited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad