Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] G Marcus Högberg agreed to terms with the Islanders (2 years)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It sounds like Hogberg is returning to sign with an NHL team after three years playing back in Sweden, any ideas on where he might have signed?

"According to the club, Hogberg has signed with an NHL team but the actual team was not disclosed. Translated from Swedish, Hogberg told the team website that he was pleased to be giving the NHL another go."

Edit - Confirmed now that he's signed with the Islanders

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
San Jose ?Must be a team that wants to look like they care, so they're signing players, but don't want to sign good players to ruin their chance at a top pick.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Unimpressive NHL numbers. Seems like a journeyman for the AHL. But I wish him luck.
I mean most goalies who played with the Sens of that era have bad numbers. I mean just look at his countryman Filip Gustavsson. 3.55 .892 in his last season in Ottawa. Shipped to Minnesota, 2.10 .931 his first season there.

I’m not saying Hogberg is good. I’m just saying that Sens’ goalie stats aren’t always indicative of how well a goalie might perform elsewhere.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Unimpressive NHL numbers. Seems like a journeyman for the AHL. But I wish him luck.

Unimpressive but not completely terrible given the situation (youngish goalie getting his first NHL action on what was a bad team at the time).

3.39 GAA and .894 SV% in 42 appearances across parts of three seasons. If he's improved a bit in his late 20s, maybe he's a passable NHL quality goalie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
San Jose ?Must be a team that wants to look like they care, so they're signing players, but don't want to sign good players to ruin their chance at a top pick.
Sharks already have Blackwood and Vanecek signed for next season so it’s doubtful unless he’s willing to be a #3 bouncing between leagues.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Could be Carolina if we've sorted out our affiliate situation. Currently have Andersen, Kochetkov, Martin, and Perets under contract, but Perets could use more competition for the #4 spot and unless we sign Vondras, Quapp, or Hamrla this offseason that's not coming internally. Could also use some insurance if Martin is claimed off waivers if he's the #3 after TC.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hogberg showed some promise, he was pretty decent in 2019-2020 but was pretty atrociously bad to start the next season and he never really found his game after that.

He has some solid mechanics but he seemed like an unconfident goalie. Lots can change in three years, though, especially three years where he played over 120 games for one team. He played around that many games in his 5 years in North America, moving between the ECHL, AHL (including a relocation) and NHL. His best two years were the ones where he played the most.

I will be rooting for him.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Hogberg's dad died right before covid shut down the Sens' season in 19-20. I always thought his mental health played a large role in his struggles in 20-21. There was a Draisaitl goal where Hogberg lost his net the way I've never seen an NHL goalie lose his net. Just absolutely no confidence back then.

Seems to be in a better place now as he was one of the top goalies in Sweden this year, so I'd be surprised if he does return to the NHL but not exactly shocked.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hogberg's dad died right before covid shut down the Sens' season in 19-20. I always thought his mental health played a large role in his struggles in 20-21. There was a Draisaitl goal where Hogberg lost his net the way I've never seen an NHL goalie lose his net. Just absolutely no confidence back then.

Seems to be in a better place now as he was one of the top goalies in Sweden this year, so I'd be surprised if he does return to the NHL but not exactly shocked.
Forgot about his father passing away. I remember that goal, too.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

There were a number of goals where he had lost his net, but that Draisaitl one was the worst.

Of all the thing to be bad at, you’d think positioning yourself in net would be the one that could be fixed….so, I think there’s a chance he’ll be a respectable goalie.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He was pretty solid the year prior, so what you're saying lines up.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
1714427786181.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad