In Memoriam Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Dave Gatherum, Johnny Gaudreau)

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Berezin was playing in the first NHL game (and so far my only North American game) I saw live. Three players from that game are now gone - all Russians, two others are Karpovtsev and Korolyov who died in the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash.

By my understanding, he was also the first Coyote from this century to die. The only other Coyotes players to die before him were Korolyov and McCrimmon.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
52 is so young. Is he among the ten youngest deceased NHLers? Just based on how old they would be if alive today?

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to determine this. And of course, going over the list of all the recent NHLers to die in their 40s or earlier would just be a parade of tragedy...

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

TumbaYumba

Mar 29, 2014
Planet Earth

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Berizin was an AMAZING SKATER.
(Like that guy for the Kings ... his. mom taught him figure skating and he skated rings around all but had no shot... wtf... )

..the guy had about a 1000 game NHL career but THIS day, at midnight hereabouts, i dunno.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
Is there another site that tracks this stuff, if so what's the link? Like if I google Billy Carter NHL there's no article that notes his passing, unless you read his obit directly what are the odds you could find this lol, I'm impressed, hockey reference hasn't even recorded his death yet.
This Facebook page is quite good for updating passings, as it is often updated and relies on members informing the page of passings

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Former Swedish goaltender Boo Ahl is reported to have died in an accident while on vacation, just 54 years old.

Ahl was born in Jönköping and played for the local HV71 organization through his entire junior career, and then for the SEL team. Except for a persistent dumb joke/myth based on his (and his supposed wife’s) name, he’s probably most known for being HV71’s starter when they became the first (and thus far only) 8th seed to go on and win the Swedish championship, which they did in 1995. He was also part of the 1995 World Championship silver medalist Team Sweden — although without playing a game — and Team Sweden starter in 1996, where they failed to medal.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Johnny Gaudreau and his brother have been killed while cycling by a drunk driver.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The Gaudreau news is absolutely devastating. It still feels surreal. How often does a star professional hockey player die while in his prime or close to it? I don't know the last time something like this happened - maybe when Pelle Lindbergh died? I certainly haven't experienced anything like this situation during my time of following hockey.

Rest in peace. What a tragedy.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He’s unfortunately not even among the 25 youngest… In 2011 alone, ten former NHLers died who were younger than Berezin.

:(

I remember really just slipping into a bit of depression myself in 2011 because of all the bad news with these guys. Airplane crashes, suicides, overdoses, Horton getting his career essentially ended, Crosby being told at 24 that he may never play again.

I was particularly scared because college club hockey and lacrosse had given me a half dozen concussions and this was before CTE was widely understood.

I don't think I ever let myself get as attached to the sport in the years since 2011. It felt like every week there was something new that was terrible for the sport.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
not to be morbid but damn, in the last sixty years every death of a star who was still an active player has involved alcohol

sawchuk died from injuries sustained from a drunk fight with ron stewart

tim horton was drunk and had sleeping pills in his system when he had his car crash

pelle lindbergh was also drunk when he had his crash

not to imply that anybody deserves to die but how tragic is it that two brothers visiting home for their sister’s wedding wholesomely going on a bike ride get mowed down by a maniac drunkenly road raging?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
The last one from 1950 Stanley Cup winning squad.

Also he was one of 3 living players whos NHL career started in 40s.
The other two are Steve Wochy (54 NHL games in 1944–45 and 1946-47 seasons) and Tom McGrattan (1 NHL game in 1947–48).
Unfortunately, McGrattan died in 2022 according to family members/Society for International Hockey Research, though no obituary was published.

Is there another site that tracks this stuff, if so what's the link? Like if I google Billy Carter NHL there's no article that notes his passing, unless you read his obit directly what are the odds you could find this lol, I'm impressed, hockey reference hasn't even recorded his death yet.
For SIHR members, this page is updated frequently: Society for International Hockey Research (used to be public, though now it requires a membership).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad