Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree with FAN that Gilman does strike me more of a Right Hand Man type vs the Guy in charge.
Similiar in Nonis in that regard. Better as the contract guy than GM.

I'm sure he will land somewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That legendary Canucks draft pick Rodrigo Abols is back in NA--signing a one-year deal with the Flyers.

Probably bound for the AHL Phantoms--but never thought we'd see him back in N.A. again. How's he done playing back in Latvia?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That legendary Canucks draft pick Rodrigo Abols is back in NA--signing a one-year deal with the Flyers.

Probably bound for the AHL Phantoms--but never thought we'd see him back in N.A. again. How's he done playing back in Latvia?

He's been in Sweden for years and hasn't played in Latvia since he was 18.

Florida gave him a contract in 2019 when he was 23 and he was just an average AHL player so it's hard to see what would have changed now.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Florida gave him a contract in 2019 when he was 23 and he was just an average AHL player so it's hard to see what would have changed now.
He had a big year in 22-23, no doubt due to the confidence boost he gained from being around Canucks legends Petrus Palmu, Philip Holm, and Elias Dettersson.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He’s one of those bubble players who can easily earn an extended stay in the NHL. He has good size at 6’4” 200+lbs, is a decent skater for his size, works hard, doesn’t hurt you defensively, can play C, and isn’t devoid of skill.

I think what could have changed is that he’s now fully developed. If he throws his weight around and manages to pot a couple of goals early he might earn an extended look.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
With rumours of goalie movement in the off-season, it strikes me as tragically ironic that Markstrom might escape one sinking ship in Calgary and end up in a basically identical situation with a Keefe-led NJD. In that they will have a good regular season and then end up absolutely choking in the playoffs. NJD although talented has already shown themselves to be mentally fragile, and Keefe doesn't exactly have a great track record of leading his team in the post-season.

Or he could go to the Sens, which I can almost guarantee will be a tire fire. Green has shown no signs as Canucks HC or any of the gigs he had since that he's got what it takes to be a good NHL coach. The Sens have not shown the ability to self-correct with previous head coaches and if Green couldn't do the job with NJD which was a team much closer to the playoffs, I don't see how he turns it around with Ottawa.

Hopefully it's NJD because at least there they have a chance of having a decent regular season. Green's senators might just absolutely flop from the get-go.

Anyways, sad times for one of my favourite goalies.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
With rumours of goalie movement in the off-season, it strikes me as tragically ironic that Markstrom might escape one sinking ship in Calgary and end up in a basically identical situation with a Keefe-led NJD. In that they will have a good regular season and then end up absolutely choking in the playoffs. NJD although talented has already shown themselves to be mentally fragile, and Keefe doesn't exactly have a great track record of leading his team in the post-season.

Or he could go to the Sens, which I can almost guarantee will be a tire fire. Green has shown no signs as Canucks HC or any of the gigs he had since that he's got what it takes to be a good NHL coach. The Sens have not shown the ability to self-correct with previous head coaches and if Green couldn't do the job with NJD which was a team much closer to the playoffs, I don't see how he turns it around with Ottawa.

Hopefully it's NJD because at least there they have a chance of having a decent regular season. Green's senators might just absolutely flop from the get-go.

Anyways, sad times for one of my favourite goalies.
done

I swear, Markstrom must be so angry at Calgary over this debacle not happening at the TDL even more so now.

Reactions: mossey3535

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
... i don't find the devils to be at all in a similar situation as calgary, nor ottawa. they had an off year because hamilton was out for the season after maybe the 1st month of playing, hughes was gone for a pretty important stretch of the season, and their coach was bad and the interim was also bad.

keefe is a step up from both lindy and green. at age 34 i probably worry more about markstrom's ability to endure a starter's workload, which is likely why njd didn't send a goalie back to calgary.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
... i don't find the devils to be at all in a similar situation as calgary, nor ottawa. they had an off year because hamilton was out for the season after maybe the 1st month of playing, hughes was gone for a pretty important stretch of the season, and their coach was bad and the interim was also bad.

keefe is a step up from both lindy and green. at age 34 i probably worry more about markstrom's ability to endure a starter's workload, which is likely why njd didn't send a goalie back to calgary.
Up to nj to give him a good backup to play 30 games. Plus the eastern schedule should help him.

Calgary, see when or if they move Anderson who has 2 years left and Yegor who played well for them. Kuz not sure he’s what a PO would call on. Up to him to show a better all around game. Otherwise probably better off to remain in cal. Mangiopane also with a year left too.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I'm talking moreso about Calgary's position before Gaudreau and Tkachuk left, that was the reason Marky signed there. They looked like a contender with an opening window. Now that window is closed. He gets out of there and goes to NJD who are definitely a younger team that has shown an ability to be good in the regular season. Keefe has also proved he is a good regular seaason coach and NJD is probably more balanced than the Leafs.

However I'm assuming that Marky wants to be on a contender, and Keefe isn't my first choice to lead a team to the Cup. So NJD will probably look good in the regular season and flame in the playoffs, just like the Flames did in the last Gaudreau/Tkachuk season.

NJD has Allen, who has done a good job with Montreal through a rebuild. So they already have a 1B.

Reactions: Vector

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
NJD last season also changed a bit of their back end, and while I didn't watch them to see if that hurt it could not have helped. It is something I think about with our defence too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
NJD last season also changed a bit of their back end, and while I didn't watch them to see if that hurt it could not have helped. It is something I think about with our defence too.

They replaced two reliable veteran defenders with two rookies getting big minutes and as much as fans love EXCITING ROOKIES!, 'rookie defender' is generally just a different way of saying 'bad defender'.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They replaced two reliable veteran defenders with two rookies getting big minutes and as much as fans love EXCITING ROOKIES!, 'rookie defender' is generally just a different way of saying 'bad defender'.
Severson and Graves, both hit UFA and got paid well. And like you said, rookies will have their ups and downs.

Even next season is Hamilton, Marino as the top RHD. Siegenthaler and Hughes to be their top 2 LHD. Then it's MacDermid and Nemec to round out the 3rd pairing. Probably sign a veteran to be that 6/7 guy. Is that enough of a PO Defence?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Brad May and his daughter Sam on Amazing Race Canada.

V2Amazing_Team_8.jpg

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
May is a 1990 draft pick, thus 52 in 2024. He's aged well unlike fellow 1990 pick Keith Tkachuck. Even Trevor who has maintain his lean frame too.

It's very inconsistent with guys from the 90s. Todd Harvey is another guy like Tkachuk while Jagr is stilling playing hockey.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Also they had the reverse Canuck season.

They were trailing early in first all season long.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Slate’s Decoder Ring did a deep dive into the Kirk McLean / Jeff Brown rumours with most of the main characters. Good listen, particularly if you were around when this was a big thing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Slate’s Decoder Ring did a deep dive into the Kirk McLean / Jeff Brown rumours with most of the main characters. Good listen, particularly if you were around when this was a big thing.

boo, i am 15 minutes into the podcast and it’s just been revealed that we are not hearing from the mclean ex-wife who he was married to in 94

now i vaguely remember reading this story about this woman some years ago. i feel bad for her but def feel clickbaited a second time.

edit: wait, now the 94 ex-wife is speaking. ok let’s see where this is going…

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
boo, i am 15 minutes into the podcast and it’s just been revealed that we are not hearing from the mclean ex-wife who he was married to in 94

now i vaguely remember reading this story about this woman some years ago. i feel bad for her but def feel clickbaited a second time.

edit: wait, now the 94 ex-wife is speaking. ok let’s see where this is going…

Here’s the article interviewing the ex spouse;

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For people who are too young, the reason that the McLean/Brown rumours were so salacious was that Leslie McLean was a very prominent figure around the team in the 1990-95 period. She was heavily involved in both the telethon and the Canuck Place stuff at the time and was on TV in intermission bits quite regularly, and was probably the most prominent Canuck spouse that I can ever remember. And then when this pretty, perky, girl-next-door type was suddenly getting divorced from McLean and there were rumours she was banging his teammates it was like 'whoa!'

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For people who are too young, the reason that the McLean/Brown rumours were so salacious was that Leslie McLean was a very prominent figure around the team in the 1990-95 period. She was heavily involved in both the telethon and the Canuck Place stuff at the time and was on TV in intermission bits quite regularly, and was probably the most prominent Canuck spouse that I can ever remember. And then when this pretty, perky, girl-next-door type was suddenly getting divorced from McLean and there were rumours she was banging his teammates it was like 'whoa!'

It was amazing how much this rumor got around given that these were before the internet was so prevalent with everything. Publications risked libel charges by running any of this sort of stuff.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad