Value of: Flyers trading up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirouxCouturier

GirouxMVP
Jul 4, 2010
British Columbia
The flyers have 2 picks in the first round, a packed prospect pool, and could use an elite scoring winger. I love Simmonds but don’t see him as a part of our future anymore. How far could this package move them up and would there be any teams interested?

Stl 1st
Phi 1st
Simmonds

Prospects could be added as sweeteners although I personally would be reluctant to trade Myers, Hart, Frost, and anybody on the roster not named Hagg.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The flyers have 2 picks in the first round, a packed prospect pool, and could use an elite scoring winger. I love Simmonds but don’t see him as a part of our future anymore. How far could this package move them up and would there be any teams interested?

Stl 1st
Phi 1st
Simmonds

Prospects could be added as sweeteners although I personally would be reluctant to trade Myers, Hart, Frost, and anybody on the roster not named Hagg.

If you're after an elite scoring winger, you'll have to trade into the top 5. I guess the question is, which bottom 5 team likes Simmonds enough to trade away a lottery pick?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hmmmm. The Habs have an elite scoring winger who can score 30+ fairly consistently.

How about Pacioretty for that package?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd do STL 1st, PHI 1st and Simmonds to get either Zadina or Svechnikov. Probably not for either Wahlstrom or Tkachuk.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I'd do STL 1st, PHI 1st and Simmonds to get either Zadina or Svechnikov. Probably not for either Wahlstrom or Tkachuk.

No team in the top 3 is doing that. Let's say you're Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona, Montreal, or Vancouver (the current teams in the bottom 5). They all need youth, scoring and hope. If you're, say, Ottawa and you trade the #2 pick for #15, #18 and Simmonds - ok, great you get 1 year of a 30 year old 30 goal scorer who could bolt at UFA. You get two shots at a first round pick, but who knows in those mid rounds? Do you get Matthew Barzal or Frederik Gauthier? Huge gamble.

Meanwhile, say you trade away Svechnikov and he becomes a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. You instantly become a worse GM than Garth Snow. Way, way too big a gamble for any GM. Nobody will do that deal.

Say you draft at #2 and Svechnikov ends up a huge bust like Yakupov. Oh well, not your fault, he was pretty much the consensus #2.

I don't see it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
No team in the top 3 is doing that. Let's say you're Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona, Montreal, or Vancouver (the current teams in the bottom 5). They all need youth, scoring and hope. If you're, say, Ottawa and you trade the #2 pick for #15, #18 and Simmonds - ok, great you get 1 year of a 30 year old 30 goal scorer who could bolt at UFA. You get two shots at a first round pick, but who knows in those mid rounds? Do you get Matthew Barzal or Frederik Gauthier? Huge gamble.

Meanwhile, say you trade away Svechnikov and he becomes a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. You instantly become a worse GM than Garth Snow. Way, way too big a gamble for any GM. Nobody will do that deal.

Say you draft at #2 and Svechnikov ends up a huge bust like Yakupov. Oh well, not your fault, he was pretty much the consensus #2.

I don't see it.

Oh, I definitely think you are right. I probably wouldn't do that trade from the perspective of a team picking #2 or #3. But, STL 1st, PHI 1st and Simmonds is what I would take for that package. The only team I could see even considering that would EDM if they snagged 3, because Chiarelli definitely will want to compete next year and Simmonds can help with that. Then they could package the remaining picks for more talent as well. I also don't really trust Chiarelli to make a great decision as well.

Reactions: AnimalFear

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Here is hoping St Louis squeaks into the playoffs and wins 2 rounds :P

And since I really don't care for any teams in the east what the hell hopefully Philly wins 2 rounds as well.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
That's just wrong! Wahlstrom is one of the best goal scorers available in the draft. o_O

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That's just wrong! Wahlstrom is one of the best goal scorers available in the draft. o_O

He is overrated. And not worth the price when a guy like Farabee who is marginally worse could be available in the 10-13 range, and won't take near as much to move up for, if necessary.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

I don't see it.

Don't underestimate Benning. Guy is a gamer. Bergevin is another GM with questinable decisions.

Buffalo, Ottawa and Arizona I agree.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
He is overrated. And not worth the price when a guy like Farabee who is marginally worse could be available in the 10-13 range, and won't take near as much to move up for, if necessary.

what makes Wahlstrom overrated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad