Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach" (NHLPA Files Grievance 9/26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If he was seriously injured, he wasn't playing every game.
Nor is Johansen known for being a "warrior."

Lots of players play every game while seriously injured; many of them should not be playing. We hear about this every off-season as the surgeries begin. Hockey teams and players are reckless as hell with the health of their assets/themselves. It is no wonder teams would leap at any possible way to start canceling contracts, and it's a method that could commonly be used.

Reactions: Starat327

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Players who are seriously injured don't play 63 games. They take nights off.
Warriors will play through dings.

This case has nothing to do with being injured, it has to do with fraud.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lots of players play every game while seriously injured; many of them should not be playing. We hear about this every off-season as the surgeries begin. Hockey teams and players are reckless as hell with the health of their assets/themselves. It is no wonder teams would leap at any possible way to start canceling contracts, and it's a method that could commonly be used.

Not sure how to tell you Beef, but....

The flyers acquired his contract, and as such, he is their personal property. Its no longer his decision if he is healthy enough to play, but theirs. They'll decide how he spends his time now with the club and if he can have a comfortable life after his playing days are done or if he spends it in a walker at age 35.

I am struggling to understand what you're missing here.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It was never a fight not worth starting.

I assume Johansen is up to funny business, but there is an argument that perception among players+agents is more important than other owners. They chose the scorched earth path with Overhardt. I've already made the case that if they wanted Buium -- they're stupid, so big if -- something like this is a way to smooth over a relationship long-term. A team that is paying $11MM to Cal Petersen should understand salary dumps.

I'm not even totally disagreeing they're in the right to pursue this path and bad precedent could be set. They're taking one for the league, which is good for.....well, the league. But I think at this point the M.O. of the Briere-Jones-Tortorella management triumvirate is clear: every fight is worth starting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the only reason for this fight is when they got him from Colorado he was "healthy." They didn't care if he played last season (he was that bad) but planned on buying him out this summer and saving $2.67M in cap room.

His fraud screwed up off-season plans. That money would mean they don't have to put Ellis on LTIR and can accumulate cap room for the TDL to have more flexibility.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad