Confirmed with Link: Flyers Great Ryan Johansen Placed On Waivers For Purpose Of Terminating Contract Due To "Material Breach" (NHLPA Files Grievance 9/26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
so what does this do to the teams cap. is that money counted against until its settled ?

ps i thought they had already filed tbh
He’s off the cap for now, but a settlement would put him back on it, so they will need to be cognizant of that. They’d probably be five if they only take half if it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
He’s off the cap for now, but a settlement would put him back on it, so they will need to be cognizant of that. They’d probably be five if they only take half if it.
Since Nashville is on the hook for half of his deal, has anyone heard how they feel about all of this? I’m positive Trotz would have his two cents in on this situation.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Since Nashville is on the hook for half of his deal, has anyone heard how they feel about all of this? I’m positive Trotz would have his two cents in on this situation.
Haven’t heard anything. He is off their cap too but they don’t have a seat at the table.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Nothing concrete, other than a statement from them early in the process (not sure if it was official or OTR) that they were operating as though nothing was changing until and unless the matter was finalized, but I expect they're quietly rooting for the Flyers to be successful, while not getting their hopes up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If there's a hearing, wonder if Trotz will be called to testify to Johansen's health on the cusp of the trade. That's about the only role for Nashville. "He looked fine to me."

Probably quietly settle the matter, NHLPA probably knows Johansen was pulling a fast one, but doesn't want a precedent set breaking contracts for fraud, and the Flyers just want him to go away and salvage whatever cap room they can garner out of this proceeding.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If there's a hearing, wonder if Trotz will be called to testify to Johansen's health on the cusp of the trade. That's about the only role for Nashville. "He looked fine to me."

Probably quietly settle the matter, NHLPA probably knows Johansen was pulling a fast one, but doesn't want a precedent set breaking contracts for fraud, and the Flyers just want him to go away and salvage whatever cap room they can garner out of this proceeding.
The injury had nothing to do with the Predators. They don’t have a role in this.

Reactions: Curufinwe

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman:

-as he has said before, the source of the dispute is that this was not an issue until he was traded as he played every game in Colorado.

-got pushback on the timing that it was purposely done right as Johansen was dancing at his wedding (source was mad at Friedman because that was unfair to claim)

-thinks it will come down to what Johansen’s doctors said when he first saw them

-next step is to set a date for the arbitration, but goal is to settle.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The injury had nothing to do with the Predators. They don’t have a role in this.
He played every game for the Preds up to the trade, so their role is to provide evidence that he was healthy enough to play. Don't know what the rules of evidence are in this kind of proceeding, but that would be their "role."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He played every game for the Preds up to the trade, so their role is to provide evidence that he was healthy enough to play. Don't know what the rules of evidence are in this kind of proceeding, but that would be their "role."
He didnt play for the Predators, he played for the Avalanche

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Would the Flyers do this without conferring with the Preds? You’d think that both clubs would be working this together
Because it has no bearing on the Preds. RYJO is a sunk cost to them when he was traded last year. There is nothing for them to work together on.

If the Preds get some cap relief great. If they do not, then they are back where they started.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Friedman:

-as he has said before, the source of the dispute is that this was not an issue until he was traded as he played every game in Colorado.

-got pushback on the timing that it was purposely done right as Johansen was dancing at his wedding (source was mad at Friedman because that was unfair to claim)

-thinks it will come down to what Johansen’s doctors said when he first saw them

-next step is to set a date for the arbitration, but goal is to settle.
Wouldn't it also matter what the Flyers doctors said? What was their recommendation at his season end physical? Having what the Flyers doctors said and what not seems like would be very crucial to me.

I hope this goes the distance. Hope RYJO, if he settles, only takes a few hundred k less. If he has the good do not settle at all.

Either way it is bad optics for the Gold standard. Even if they "win".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn't it also matter what the Flyers doctors said? What was their recommendation at his season end physical? Having what the Flyers doctors said and what not seems like would be very crucial to me.

I hope this goes the distance. Hope RYJO, if he settles, only takes a few hundred k less. If he has the good do not settle at all.

What the Flyers doctors said doesn’t seem to be ambiguous.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He didnt play for the Predators, he played for the Avalanche
My bad. Then they'll want someone from the Avalanche to testify as to his condition when traded. The Avs would be more credible than even the Flyer doctors, since they saw him every day.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I'm not entirely sure the procedure but it will likely be a number of doctors and representatives as well as RyJo himself. RyJo's guys are all gonna say what he wants them to say, The Flyers' guys will say what they want them to say. The arbitrator(s) will digest it all and make their decision. They may even have "independent" doctors review the medical records and perform an exam of RyJo now (independent to the extent that they were hired by either side, one saying he can/could and one saying he can't/couldn't).

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The Preds are carrying $4M of dead cap with this guy. That has a bearing on them.
They knew they had to carry that when he was traded over a year ago. He is already accounted for in their cap budget.

if they get relief great if not never affected them at the end of the day.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm baffled at how anyone can think it impossible for hockey players to be playing through stuff they shouldn't be.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The league is backing them up. It was never a fight not worth starting.

Right. Either the league and owners win and teams find a crack in guaranteed contracts, or nothing changes.

It's all upside for them to support the Flyers. If the Flyers taint themselves in the eyes of players, that is also upside to owners who compete with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad