Roster Moves: Flyers bring in 25YO goalie Eetu Makiniemi for training camp tryout

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don’t think so. The Flyers will toll his contract for years. He can probably kiss his hopes for an NHL career goodbye. It’s one thing to be drafted and not sign. Signing and then not honoring the deal is totally another.
Yeah, I can see that. But, in his defense, he can see that both Fedotov and Ersson are signed for the next 2 years. So, his choices are come to a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and play for $92,500 or stay home and play in the KHL for much more money.

I have to think that he wouldn’t have signed with the Flyers if he’d known he’d be pretty much blocked for 2 seasons. I think you’ll see more and more Russian/ Belarus goalies do this in the next few years. If Kolosov is dominating the KHL in a few years, and the Flyers need a goalie, all will be forgiven. Or, if they aren’t looking for a goalie, they’ll deal his rights and at least recoup something.

I don’t blame Kolosov in the slightest.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Yeah, I can see that. But, in his defense, he can see that both Fedotov and Ersson are signed for the next 2 years. So, his choices are come to a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and play for $92,500 or stay home and play in the KHL for much more money.

I have to think that he wouldn’t have signed with the Flyers if he’d known he’d be pretty much blocked for 2 seasons. I think you’ll see more and more Russian/ Belarus goalies do this in the next few years. If Kolosov is dominating the KHL in a few years, and the Flyers need a goalie, all will be forgiven. Or, if they aren’t looking for a goalie, they’ll deal his rights and at least recoup something.

Why? He has a path to the NHL if he is as good as he probably thinks he is. Guess he wanted a spot handed to him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think he plays for $925K. Don't think he signed a two way deal, did he?

Spotrac: Alexei Kolosov signed a 3 year , $2,775,000 contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, including $277,500 signing bonus, $2,775,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $925,000.

Now if he signs with Minsk, Flyers retain his rights, the ELC slides and he only gets a KHL salary, $200-300K or so.

So Flyers may be indifferent, what they don't want to do is pay him $925K to play in Minsk and burn a year off his ELC - they want to watch him in LHV and see if he's in their future plans.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Briere is just doing what is supposed to do, making sure the organization is set up at goaltending no matter what.
He hasn't even handed out a real contract yet. We are talking about a PTO. Insurance in case that Kolosov situation can't be fixed.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Spotrac: Alexei Kolosov signed a 3 year , $2,775,000 contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, including $277,500 signing bonus, $2,775,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $925,000.

Now if he signs with Minsk, Flyers retain his rights, the ELC slides and he only gets a KHL salary, $200-300K or so.

So Flyers may be indifferent, what they don't want to do is pay him $925K to play in Minsk and burn a year off his ELC - they want to watch him in LHV and see if he's in their future plans.
Puck pedia says his minors salary is 80k. But I have no idea if it’s right or not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

All ELC’s are two-way.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
He played fewer games in the AHL than either Petersen or Sandstrom, neither of whom have a future with the Flyers.
He also was here for a month so him playing fewer games needs some context. That was their plan. I don't agree with it though Kolosov also had to know that was the plan

Reactions: BernieParent

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I don’t think so. The Flyers will toll his contract for years. He can probably kiss his hopes for an NHL career goodbye. It’s one thing to be drafted and not sign. Signing and then not honoring the deal is totally another.
Do we know for a fact that this is true? If he has an overseas clause, he has the right to instead be loaned to a league overseas if he's assigned to the AHL, and I don't believe his contract can be tolled in that case.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He also was here for a month so him playing fewer games needs some context. That was their plan. I don't agree with it though Kolosov also had to know that was the plan
Thanks for your reply, Jack. That is reasonable context but Kolosov was also wasn't some random goaltender coming in at the end of the season. His arrival was highly anticipated and much was made of the opportunity to get him to North America as soon as his season ended. I understand that it would be unreasonable to give him the starter spot so quickly, but why even play Sandstrom (3 games IIRC) at that point?

And if this was their plan, it doesn't appear to have been communicated to Kolosov ... or maybe they just said it in English.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Not playing Kolosov was dumb. I don’t buy the need to play goalies with AHL experience in order to make the POs. If the Flyers were so concerned about the Phantoms doing that then getting a better coach for them might have done more in order to reach that goal. Now they have a mess with the organization’s third ranked goal tender who just might be needed with the big club this season. Not a well played situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad