Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
A Morin - MacDonald 3rd pairing seems about right.

Ghost had to go through being paired with Farmer and Provorov had to drag him around last season.
I would except to see Morin or Hagg paired with MacDonald this season as is standard customary rookie hazing on the Flyers defense.

If a defensemen is good enough to carry MacDonald for a full season then it shows Hextall that player is good enough to play in the NHL.

If Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Myers and Friedman want to earn a spot on the Flyers roster then they are all gonna have to show that they can be competitive enough while carrying MacDonald's dead weight around the ice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Vegas had there own AHL team that they did not have to share with St. Louis, then I could see Vegas picking up Colin on waivers, but since Vegas only has so many spots to fill in the AHL McDonald wouldn't fit in with their plans unless he stays on the NHL roster as a 13th forward.

It was a joke. The Flyers would be able to reclaim McDonald in this scenario & would be able to send him back to the AHL with no passing through waivers.

I don't think anyone is picking up McDonald though. He's 32 years old & has been pass through waivers for a long time now.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
A Morin - MacDonald 3rd pairing seems about right.

Ghost had to go through being paired with Farmer and Provorov had to drag him around last season.
I would except to see Morin or Hagg paired with MacDonald this season as is standard customary rookie hazing on the Flyers defense.

If a defensemen is good enough to carry MacDonald for a full season then it shows Hextall that player is good enough to play in the NHL.

If Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Myers and Friedman want to earn a spot on the Flyers roster then they are all gonna have to show that they can be competitive enough while carrying MacDonald's dead weight around the ice.

There's no way you actually believe a word of what you just wrote. No GM in his right mind thinks like that.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
i dont see why if the rookies outplay him in camp why they cant just send him down. And call him up halfway through the year and magically make the playoffs again ;)

Jokes aside. I personally would run this.

Provorov--Sanheim (Great 1st pairing)
Hagg--Gostisbehere
Morin--Gudas
Manning

People may say they want sanheim on the right side, AND/OR not playing such heavy minutes. But playing with Provorov. could easily be our top pairing for the next 7-8 years. They both have speed, size, and offensive instincts, but are also sound defensively. Hagg give Ghost stability. And morin / gudas would be nasty.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I seriously can't wait until MacDonald is out of this organization.

Hivemind! That's hivemind thinking! Just because everyone wants him gone, now you want him gone?!?!?! Hivemind!

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"This Too Shall Pass"

MacDonald may start the season, but odds are he'll end the season on the bench, in the AHL or on another team. I wouldn't sweat it. Once the kids grow up he's history.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
"This Too Shall Pass"

MacDonald may start the season, but odds are he'll end the season on the bench, in the AHL or on another team. I wouldn't sweat it. Once the kids grow up he's history.
Exactly. MacD be glued to Provorov again, because what does not kill you makes you stronger. Though I wouldn't try that theory with one of our rookies. And then he'll be gone. If not this year, than next.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I see that the pairing is listed Hagg-Ghost.....so Ghost is on the right, despite Hagg being on the right when the played together last? Odd. I'd prefer they'd have kept it that way. It's an advantage Ghost has playing with Hagg instead of Morin.

Obviously we want MacDonald to disappear like Jimmy Hoffa, and I know puck moving could be an issue with him and Sam.....but whoever you pair MacDonald with puck moving becomes an issue. Though, given the staff's inability to see MacDonald for what he is, they problem think he's an above average puck mover. Most of MacDonald's problems aren't even defensively, despite the odd blunders, it's that he provides negative value offensively and is a leach. I'd rather see him weigh down the worst offensive prospect than Ghost/Provorov. And in a third pair role yet. It's not the worst poison to pick if he's in the starting 6.

We'll see about the defense pairings though. Gudas won't be paired with TJ Brennan on the Flyers except in Dave Isaac's dreams. Does that mean they plan to run Provorov-Gudas? Easy as the forward lines are to read into, besides that Hagg-Ghost pairing, **** knows with the D.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
i dont see why if the rookies outplay him in camp why they cant just send him down. And call him up halfway through the year and magically make the playoffs again ;)

Jokes aside. I personally would run this.

Provorov--Sanheim (Great 1st pairing)
Hagg--Gostisbehere
Morin--Gudas
Manning

People may say they want sanheim on the right side, AND/OR not playing such heavy minutes. But playing with Provorov. could easily be our top pairing for the next 7-8 years. They both have speed, size, and offensive instincts, but are also sound defensively. Hagg give Ghost stability. And morin / gudas would be nasty.

Id rather have morin with ghost tbh, morin and gudas wouldnt go well unless its on the pk

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is it against site rules to wish bodily harm on a player? Asking for myself.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Is it against site rules to wish bodily harm on a player? Asking for myself.

If so id be in alot of trouble, ive only suggested someone kidnap amac and hide him until after his contract ends so we could possibly ltir or terminate the contract if they assume hes dead about 4 times now lmao

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I really admire the optimism and general belief that Amac will end up on third pair or be waived down the line. All I can think of is first injury or suspension to Gudas and no one will be able to get him off that top pairing.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I see a problem.

I know what you mean. There might be somewhat of an issue putting Sanheim with Provy, but I think his steadiness will help the rookie. Morin and Ghost should gel fairly quickly, and we already know Mandog and Gude are solid together. Looks pretty good to me :handclap:

Evergreen

Provy-Sanheim
Morin-Ghost
Manning-Gudas

There you go. I finally have the opening night D figured out. Thank you.

I highly doubt MacDonald starts the year out of the lineup unless at least three of the rookies make it impossible to send them back down. Manning certainly won't be the one to take the spot. Manning is basically the perfect #7 guy. He is by all accounts a good locker room guy and won't pout if he's out of the lineup, but he'll work hard to be ready when the time comes and he can fill in as a #6 guy in case of injury. In the meantime, you don't risk his development by having him spend extended periods in the the press box. I think he will be penciled in as the #7 guy some opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad