Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise isn't supposed to have the puck on his stick, once he digs it out and gives it to Voracek, he'll never see it again.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
PK lines

Patrick - Simmonds
Provorov - Gudas

Coots - Lindblom
Morin - Hagg

Sounds like a miserable PP matchup for the opposing teams...

Giroux spends more energy 5v5 and scoring.

Those pairings just make you tired thinking of playing against them. Lots of hustle and smarts.

And I think the lesser PK time did help G. He was scoring at a top 5 pace early in the year. He was just out of shape from his offseason surgery. Same for ghost.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I miss G and Richards on the PK

I get why G needs a rest from the PK but personally, I would still like to see his value there healthy and with a good partner.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Decent quotes by Hextall on his philosophy in this piece by normally terrible Mike Sielski:

“Was it the right thing? I’d say no,” he said Tuesday during an interview at the Skate Zone, three days before the Flyers began training camp. “If you ask Kerry, he’d say no. Now, that was 30-some years ago, so when you have that history, you sort of try to figure it out.” (on Kerry Huffman being fast tracked)

“You don’t see kids coming out of college and becoming a CEO,” he said. “They go in at low level and work their way up. There’s something about human nature. We all want everything fast, instant gratification. And you know what? The longer you hold that back from someone, the more they’re going to appreciate it when they do get to this level.

“I can tell you: Guys I played with, guys who play now, guys who are in the minors, they say, ‘Hey, I’m in the NHL now. I do not want to go back and ride a bus.’ As much as playing in the American League is a damn good living, when you get to this level, there’s something that says, ‘I want to stay at this level, and I’m going to work extra hard to stay at this level.’ There’s something to earning it.”

“It’s not just the physical part. It’s not the skill part. It’s the person part,” Hextall said. “Ivan Provorov is very mature. I don’t expect him to take a step back at all this year. I expect him to take a step forward. I didn’t expect him to get full of himself in the summer. He’s not full of himself. Myself, personally? No way. I couldn’t have handled having that type of success at 19 years old.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...n-hextall-old-school-new-school-20170915.html

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Found these Lehtera quotes as well:

“It was so much fun. I haven’t had that much fun for a long time,” Lehtera admitted. “I changed my workout schedule with what I’ve done before. I’m trying to make myself more explosive, faster, that kind of stuff. The young guys coming in the league are super-fast, so now I have to change my own style.”

“We have played a few games together on the national team,” he said. “It’s been a while but we’ve worked out together in the summers for many years.” (Filppula)

http://www.sportsology.com/jori-lehtera-needed-a-change-of-scenery/

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Found these Lehtera quotes as well:

“It was so much fun. I haven’t had that much fun for a long time,†Lehtera admitted. “I changed my workout schedule with what I’ve done before. I’m trying to make myself more explosive, faster, that kind of stuff. The young guys coming in the league are super-fast, so now I have to change my own style.â€

“We have played a few games together on the national team,†he said. “It’s been a while but we’ve worked out together in the summers for many years.†(Filppula)

http://www.sportsology.com/jori-lehtera-needed-a-change-of-scenery/

I am interested to see how he looks. He prob deserves a starting spot but if he can't get it going i would say bench him considering what blues fans are saying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Decent quotes by Hextall on his philosophy in this piece by normally terrible Mike Sielski:

“Was it the right thing? I’d say no,” he said Tuesday during an interview at the Skate Zone, three days before the Flyers began training camp. “If you ask Kerry, he’d say no. Now, that was 30-some years ago, so when you have that history, you sort of try to figure it out.” (on Kerry Huffman being fast tracked)

“You don’t see kids coming out of college and becoming a CEO,” he said. “They go in at low level and work their way up. There’s something about human nature. We all want everything fast, instant gratification. And you know what? The longer you hold that back from someone, the more they’re going to appreciate it when they do get to this level.

“I can tell you: Guys I played with, guys who play now, guys who are in the minors, they say, ‘Hey, I’m in the NHL now. I do not want to go back and ride a bus.’ As much as playing in the American League is a damn good living, when you get to this level, there’s something that says, ‘I want to stay at this level, and I’m going to work extra hard to stay at this level.’ There’s something to earning it.”

“It’s not just the physical part. It’s not the skill part. It’s the person part,” Hextall said. “Ivan Provorov is very mature. I don’t expect him to take a step back at all this year. I expect him to take a step forward. I didn’t expect him to get full of himself in the summer. He’s not full of himself. Myself, personally? No way. I couldn’t have handled having that type of success at 19 years old.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...n-hextall-old-school-new-school-20170915.html

The temptations in Philly are a tad bit greater than in Allentown, it's easy for a 21 year old with money and groupies hanging over him to forget what got him there, you're having fun, everyone is flattering you, it's easy to go "Carter and Richards." Hit the bars, the drinks are free, pretty girls are drawn to you, 10 PM becomes 3 AM.

Hextall probably knows this from personal experience, and doesn't want his young players to come up too fast before they've got the fundamentals of the game down and also have a grip on life.

Staying in junior hockey, there are few ways to get into trouble and lose your focus in those small Canadian towns. A year or two riding buses in the AHL and you appreciate a real locker room, good hotels and a big paycheck.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Lindblom-Giroux-Konecny
Laberge/Salinitri-Rubtsov-Kosorenkov
Leier-Vorobyev-McDonald
Lehtera-Filppula-Aube-Kubel
Carey-Knight-Bardreau

Friedman and Lamarche are missing from what Isaac posted, and DeHaas is supposed to be in the afternoon group.

Provorov-Sanheim
Morin-MacDonald
O'Neill-
DeHaas-Alt

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That Vorobyev line is definitely the Phantoms top line next year. Literally just took out Laughton and plopped in Vorobyev. Perfect fit.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Not that I wish it on any of the kids, but I have to admit that I'm a little curious how that Morin-AMac pairing would play out on the ice and specifically how involved in the offense Morin would get.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No one seems to be saying Friedman is missing so I guess he's partnered with O'Neill and Isaac just didn't write in #59 for some reason.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That Dlineup has your blood pumping until you get through the top 3 haha.

A lot to look at. How lindblom looks with G. The progression of Konecny. 2 and 3rd line centers. Lehtera. The D.

No goalies yet I assume?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not that I wish it on any of the kids, but I have to admit that I'm a little curious how that Morin-AMac pairing would play out on the ice and specifically how involved in the offense Morin would get.

I think I know how that story ends. :(

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Morin should play with Manning so the ManDog can use his toughness to keep the rookie safe.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Morin should play with Manning so the ManDog can use his toughness to keep the rookie safe.

Great idea. Let Morin pair up with a heart and soul, give all for your teammates, gritty D man. I do think the Morin/Ghost pairing would still make the most sense. Not sure yet about Provy, Gudas, Manning, and Sanheim. Hagg back to the AHL and AMac to the rafters. There's your opening night D.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The MacDonald hazing ritual can not be avoided. Morin needs to take his lumps like Ghost and Provorov did.

Best case scenario - Morin looks great with Amac who is now seen as a mentor for young D. A bidding war develops between super sharp gm's in Vancouver and Colorado for his services. Reluctantly we trade him for a first in 2019.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If there was a 32nd team in the league McDonald would play in the NHL.

If Vegas had there own AHL team that they did not have to share with St. Louis, then I could see Vegas picking up Colin on waivers, but since Vegas only has so many spots to fill in the AHL McDonald wouldn't fit in with their plans unless he stays on the NHL roster as a 13th forward.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Forwards better be prepared to get into skating races in neutral zone. However at least it would mean Amac is off the top line.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Great idea. Let Morin pair up with a heart and soul, give all for your teammates, gritty D man. I do think the Morin/Ghost pairing would still make the most sense. Not sure yet about Provy, Gudas, Manning, and Sanheim. Hagg back to the AHL and AMac to the rafters. There's your opening night D.

15 minutes. Works better than Beetlejuice :laugh:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I am kind of nervous to have a Provy-Gudas pairing, as it seems like a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. Hoping the AMorin pairing can handle tough defensive duties and then have Hagg-Ghost getting the offensive starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad