GDT: Flames visit Static Discharge. 5pm MT on SNW

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's the kind of player everyone wants, including us if we moved him. Kylington isn't here, and even if he is there is no guarantee that he can be as good as Hanifin in the same role.

I don't think moving Hanifin gets us closer to where we want to go, especially given his weak stats don't exactly look enticing to other GMs.

Well with Valimaki gone and Kylington in flux it certainly becomes more difficult to look at trading him. There's no guarantees no but it could be a calculated risk to get value back for probably our best trade chip.

He's a UFA after next season and would anyone here really be psyched if they reupped him around 7 million for another 6 years? Or watch him walk for nothing like Brodie and Gio did. Treliving did the right thing with Hamilton and we've reaped some rewards from it. I think he should at least explore doing the same with Noah.

I agree with basically all of this, but I put a lot more blame on the players at this point than you do. If there is one thing frustrating me about this team, it is the fact that (since the 5-1 start) we are pretty consistently second-best to everyone in terms of execution.

The LA game was a bit of an anomaly, but if the opposition plays us tight, we are usually the team that will make the big defensive error while the opposition does not. And if the opposition plays loose, we are usually the team that fails to capitalize on opportunities.

I really want to see this team find a way to generate consistent dangerous chances, and then bury those chances. Both at 5-on-5 and on the PP, we need to get that sorted so that we can play with more confidence.

The Markstrom bad goal was a bad goal for sure and really hurt momentum, but it distracts in many ways from the bigger problem: without letting Tampa have the puck that often, we managed to give them two beautiful goals while only finding a way to manufacture one. As Sutter says, both the shooting percentage and the save percentage are issues right now, but I feel like the shooting percentage is currently the bigger hindrance for this team.

Well I guess it comes down to where you put the roster's talent level at and if they're actually capable of executing at a high level with consistency. To me Tampa had the perfect gameplan against us last night. Limit slot chances, let the Flames skate the perimeter and tire themselves out, and then counterpunch with skilled fast players. It's a good gameplan but what annoyed me was how EASILY the Flames let them enact it. The Bolts barely broke a sweat just playing zone, not allowing rushes, and letting Vasi see shots. Last year our topline executed all year long and carried our offense. Mangiapane was our only depth player to really do anything and he shot at nearly 20%.

Calgary is 4th best in both SF/G and SA/G. With an appropriately skilled playoff team roster that should be a recipe for success. Now Markstrom sucking has definitely cost us some points but your point about it distracting from the bigger problems with the team's play is bang on. They give up dangerous chances at the worst times and when they need a goal they can't even enter the zone. There's zero speed on the wings. Toffoli, Ruzicka, Mangiapane, Lewis, Lucic, Huberdeau none of these players are fast and in fact most are slow. Blake freaking Coleman is probably our best skating winger, maybe Dube would be up there too. Neither of these players are likely to score 20G or even get 40pts.

They badly need a spark in this forward group. It is stale and complacent. I know a lot of this board has been on the Phillips or Pelletier or Zary train but it's not even about the specific player at this point. It's about bringing in a guy hungry for an NHL paycheck and going out and playing on pure adrenaline for a few games. That energy and emotion is infectious and serves notice to guys like Dube and Mangiapane etc their spots aren't written in pen. If they lose in similar fashion against the Panthers and there's not a Wrangler on the plane to Philly I'll start to be real worried about our season.

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Markstrom has definitely been bad, but I'm very concerned with team play in general. Sure we outshot Tampa, but high danger chances were 18-5 for Tampa in that game. Almost every shot Tampa got was a significant one, and almost none of ours were.

We aren't going to win a lot of hockey games if that continues, regardless of how Markstrom plays. The entire team needs to figure this out

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I mean that’s the thing is we’re just not generating high danger chances and the few that we have we don’t capitalize.

These third period chokes are hard to stomach and beginning to look like a trend. And it doesn’t help that with under 5 to play when we’re down Darryl has the fourth line out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad