Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Sam Reinhart signs extension with the Panthers (8 years, $8.625M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Florida fans using contracts they signed 100 years ago to try and convince everyone that they don’t benefit from low taxes lol

Obviously no one was signing for below market value in Florida back when your team was awful and only had 8000 people attending your games.

Would it make you feel better if we said that low taxes AND being a playoff team = huge advantage?
I don’t know why it’s so hard for Florida fans to understand that just because their team sucked back then doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge advantage now that they have a good team that can take advantage of low taxes.

The leafs have been terrible for decades, does that mean that Toronto will not have a huge advantage if they removed the salary cap today?
Lmao, what? What part of Great GM did you miss in my post that you quoted? And wtf are you talking about with the Leafs being terrible for decades? They've been great for at least the last 5 years but they're GM allowed them to pick their first raise. Their fans bitch about it all the time.

Again, since you apparently struggle with it, it takes great owners, a very smart and talented GM, and success as well.

Dubas, since you brought up Toronto, would have apparently given Reino a max deal (whether in Florida or Toronto) based on past experience because...he earned it?

Yes, the tax advantage exists. It did nothing for us for almost two decades due to terrible ownership, an internal cap, and awful GMs. Sorry, but it's not just a "tax advantage," there's a lot more that goes into it. Hell, Tampa just had to package sweeteners to correct their contract mistakes in Sergachev and Jeannot.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

mediator

Jun 25, 2024
Finland
Just a tad risky, no? Hoping he can repeat his offensive production. Other than that, he was terrific for the Panthers. Good for both parties!
Risky how? He's proven to be an excellent player in multiple teams now (ofc doing even better in Panthers thanks to better teammates). You want to get the player signed and 8 years is how they do biz' these days with players that age. Look, the cup window is open now and he can totally be expected to be a strong scorer for the next few years down the road. Even if he doesn't play like an 8.6M guy in next 5 years he totally deserves it for now and you either take this deal or don't take a deal at all. Great signing.

Reactions: FrozenKing18

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Florida fans think Zito is an amazing GM because he can sign players for below market value and it has nothing to do with low taxes…

Similar to how Tampa fans thought Yzerman was an amazing GM in Tampa. I wonder how he is doing in Detroit?

Hmmm.. Yeah they suck as GM's. Thats why Florida teams have gone to the cup final the last 5 years

Good way to keep the Florida Alliance strong with all the salt from up north.

If winter ever hit Florida we'd have more than enough of salt to defrost the roads

Reactions: DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Jan 21, 2018
Hmmm.. Yeah they suck as GM's. Thats why Florida teams have gone to the cup final the last 5 years

If winter ever hit Florida we'd have more than enough of salt to defrost the roads

How convenient that you did not respond to my comment about Yzerman in Detroit. Everyone considered him a good GM in Tampa, similar to how Zito is viewed in Florida. What happened, there must be a reason why Yzerman is no longer able to sign contracts below market value in Detroit.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
sorry but what an absolute scam this broken cap system is.

Scrap the god damn cap and let Toronto sign everyone for 20m + so that the southeners can cry in the basement with their tax free dollars and year long sunshine

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
sorry but what an absolute scam this broken cap system is.

Scrap the god damn cap and let Toronto sign everyone for 20m + so that the southeners can cry in the basement with their tax free dollars and year long sunshine
You mean Toronto that led the NHL and did have almost 100 million in NHL player salaries last year?

Just paying doesn't do it.

Reactions: MaWa

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I don't think this is such a huge discount as people are saying. I think it is a reasonable discount when factoring in that 8th year. I credit that as much to the fact that he won't have to uproot his life and buy a new house, go live in a tundra, etc. as much as I do to income taxes.

People are comparing this contract to Nylander, but here is the thing: the Nylander contract is awful, because Toronto is run by idiots.

This is fair value for both parties.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
How convenient that you did not respond to my comment about Yzerman in Detroit. Everyone considered him a good GM in Tampa, similar to how Zito is viewed in Florida. What happened, there must be a reason why Yzerman is no longer able to sign contracts below market value in Detroit.
wtf are you talking about?? You keep carrying on with all this nonsense. Where's Detroit's Kucherov? Where's their Point? They may have a Hedman, but they drafted most of their Elite guys and paid a first for Goodrow and Coleman.

They lost their whole 3rd line that helped them with the Cup wins due to them...pricing themselves out. They didn't take hometown tax discounts, did they?

Also, Yzerman has been signing guys like Chiarot.

And, you missed my post saying that their current GM just had to add sweeteners to move out guys he overpaid.

next!

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
You mean Toronto that led the NHL and did have almost 100 million in NHL player salaries last year?

Just paying doesn't do it.

The cap is bullshit and makes the NHL unfair and unfun.

How much time is focused on players contracts that should go towards enjoying the game? All to artificially favor a few teams that rely on handouts to exist. Its BS and this Reinhart contract made it clearer than ever

• Haha
Reactions: Siidekik

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The cap is bullshit and makes the NHL unfair and unfun.

How much time is focused on players contracts that should go towards enjoying the game? All to artificially favor a few teams that rely on handouts to exist. Its BS and this Reinhart contract made it clearer than ever
Choices my friend, choices.

So far out in left field, maybe a break would do you some good. Taxes are not the reason the Leafs find themselves in the position they are in.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think this is such a huge discount as people are saying. I think it is a reasonable discount when factoring in that 8th year. I credit that as much to the fact that he won't have to uproot his life and buy a new house, go live in a tundra, etc. as much as I do to income taxes.

People are comparing this contract to Nylander, but here is the thing: the Nylander contract is awful, because Toronto is run by idiots.

Your personal “credit” has nothing to do with the reality of tax advantages that are openly acknowledged by nhl players agents gms accountants and media.

It’s shocking how many brilliant GMs and
Lmao, what? What part of Great GM did you miss in my post that you quoted? And wtf are you talking about with the Leafs being terrible for decades? They've been great for at least the last 5 years but they're GM allowed them to pick their first raise. Their fans bitch about it all the time.

Again, since you apparently struggle with it, it takes great owners, a very smart and talented GM, and success as well.

Dubas, since you brought up Toronto, would have apparently given Reino a max deal (whether in Florida or Toronto) based on past experience because...he earned it?

Yes, the tax advantage exists. It did nothing for us for almost two decades due to terrible ownership, an internal cap, and awful GMs. Sorry, but it's not just a "tax advantage," there's a lot more that goes into it. Hell, Tampa just had to package sweeteners to correct their contract mistakes in Sergachev and Jeannot.

Two decades is irrelevant. The tax advantage became the only advantage left
When they closed off back diving deals (which they should have)

The Second those aged out. It’s all no state tax teams.

Every no state tax teams gm is a brilliant negotiator. Every player is selfless
And only wants to winn

ok.

Jan 21, 2018
wtf are you talking about?? You keep carrying on with all this nonsense. Where's Detroit's Kucherov? Where's their Point? They may have a Hedman, but they drafted most of their Elite guys and paid a first for Goodrow and Coleman.

They lost their whole 3rd line that helped them with the Cup wins due to them...pricing themselves out. They didn't take hometown tax discounts, did they?

Also, Yzerman has been signing guys like Chiarot.

And, you missed my post saying that their current GM just had to add sweeteners to move out guys he overpaid.

next!

So you’re saying that if Detroit had a Kucherov then they would start signing players below market value? Wow some people will try and make up any excuse besides admitting that low taxes benefit your team.

I tried to ignore your silly comment about sergachev/jeannot but since you insist, please go look at those trades again. Tampa did not add any sweeteners to either player, sergachev and jeannot were the only players Tampa traded, they did not attach any picks or prospects to sweeten the trade.

If you can’t even remember the details of a recent trade then you should probably exclude it from your argument. Nice try though!

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

People get so caught in recency bias here. If Reinhart was a perennial 90+ point guy, he'd be making much more. Florida had to account for the risk of him returning to his 65ish point form (ie what he literally produced the year before this). He still got a huge max term deal and nearly 70M total. I'm not seeing the big discount here at all, Florida took too much risk here to call it a discount.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Julien BriseBois himself acknowledged his team has an advantage because of the "favorable taxation situation". So, yes, certain teams like TB and Florida have an advantage that they actively use in negotiations.

They are all jealous that Tampa made Florida the epicenter for hockey championships and cups this decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad