Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Sam Reinhart signs extension with the Panthers (8 years, $8.625M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It’s a pretty great deal…which was to be expected, given it’s the Cup champs and it’s in Florida.

I expect some heavy regression from his overall goal totals - but “heavy” from 57 goals is still a 40 goal scorer. Who is an elite special teams player. With a rising cap.
Yeah Florida had to re-sign him, he is a key core player for them. Even if he scores 40 next year, with all he brings to the team in terms of defensive play and chemistry with Barkov. This deal was a steal. He could have gone elsewhere as a UFA and certainly would have made more. With his and Barkov's 2 way play, it is truly one of the best duos in the NHL. This will ensure it for years to come. Great contract for both team and player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Florida fans think Zito is an amazing GM because he can sign players for below market value and it has nothing to do with low taxes…

Similar to how Tampa fans thought Yzerman was an amazing GM in Tampa. I wonder how he is doing in Detroit?

Yzerman started his Tampa run with Hedman and Stamkos already in the system..

Nice situation to enter

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not exactly, he has just one year of "elite" production. Other than that he has been about a PPG player. Still good but I think he got what he was worth, no more, no less.
You must not be paying attention to what other players have been getting paid then...

Reactions: BB88

Jan 21, 2018
Such a joke. Look what Tallon did with his cap space in signing Bob (noone else was competing with him on that deal), Connolly, and Stralman. It takes a great GM that knows what he's doing. Who's found bargain players along the way as well.

But sure, be disingenuous.

Florida fans using contracts they signed 100 years ago to try and convince everyone that they don’t benefit from low taxes lol

Obviously no one was signing for below market value in Florida back when your team was awful and only had 8000 people attending your games.

Would it make you feel better if we said that low taxes AND being a playoff team = huge advantage?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Florida fans using contracts they signed 100 years ago to try and convince everyone that they don’t benefit from low taxes lol

Obviously no one was signing for below market value in Florida back when your team was awful and only had 8000 people attending your games.

Would it make you feel better if we said that low taxes AND being a playoff team = huge advantage?
There are many factors and advantages. Taxes help so does the weather so does the privacy so does winning.

Reactions: rahad and Laus723

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Only Florida with their tax system can pull this one off.
.....And their Cup contending team where players want to be a part of it. Plus the state of the art practice facility 5 minutes from many of the players’ neighborhoods. And leaving that facility wearing flip flops and shorts in December.

Funny how the Tax advantage meant diddly-poop when the Panthers organization was run like a joke.....

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There are many factors and advantages. Taxes help so does the weather so does the privacy so does winning.
I mean he signed for a little bit more than Forsberg did last season, so its not like he took 7 million or something. People act like Florida and Tampa are the first teams to ever get a guy to take slightly less money to be where he wants to be.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Can we just assume "this won't age well" as a default, redundant response for every 7/8 year deal for a player 27 and older?

Yes, $8.6M may not look great when he's 33, 34. The Panthers don't care about that, they care about the first 3-4 years when they presumably are still in a position to win it all.

And in Reinhart's case, $8.6M per after what he did this year? If I'm the Panthers I take that all day, every day.

Jan 21, 2018
I don’t know why it’s so hard for Florida fans to understand that just because their team sucked back then doesn’t mean they don’t have a huge advantage now that they have a good team that can take advantage of low taxes.

The leafs have been terrible for decades, does that mean that Toronto will not have a huge advantage if they removed the salary cap today?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Obviously last season will never be repeated so this deal is probably a lot closer to being fair value for him than the Carter deal they are giving out.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Lainestache

Jan 3, 2022
Florida fans think Zito is an amazing GM because he can sign players for below market value and it has nothing to do with low taxes…

Similar to how Tampa fans thought Yzerman was an amazing GM in Tampa. I wonder how he is doing in Detroit?
Quite great actually, considering what the team looked like when he took over versus how it looks now. Now they just need to take the next step and be in the playoffs and contend. If that doesn't happen, then i am willing to change my opinion of his era in Detroit. So far? Good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad