Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Petteri Lindbohm signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They might but they risk ticking off Marcus Lehto who is a pretty prominent Finnish agent and the agency Wasserman

I'm pretty sure he would understand the process then and the fact that a potential claim is possible, and would have explained the risk to his client.

Pretty sure the last 2 times this was tried with Europeans both were claimed.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Reminder of the ROR incident that we all wished the Avs not matched.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
They might but they risk ticking off Marcus Lehto who is a pretty prominent Finnish agent and the agency Wasserman

Sign-and-claims have happened in the past, but it's a pretty rare opportunity to begin with and you definitely do risk pissing off Florida's GM or the player's agent.

Did he clear the waivers?
Won't know until 2pm today

Reactions: violaswallet

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think that he will succeed in his NHL return. He's a reliable defensive D-man. Maybe his play in the Olympics on small ice convinced Florida.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
If Lindbohm clears, would he need waivers again if he were to be sent to the AHL?

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm pretty sure he would understand the process then and the fact that a potential claim is possible, and would have explained the risk to his client.

Pretty sure the last 2 times this was tried with Europeans both were claimed.
Not sure: Nabokov is last I remember and he just sat out.

Given the circumstances I’d be surprised if he’s claimed. Only available due to war and other teams had opportunity to sign

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this question and answer had been posted in the Brodzinzki thread but belongs here
sorry if duplicates prior posts above

Can someone explain why he would need to go on waivers. I never understood it. The concept of a player going on waivers is to see if another team will give him a chance to play in the league. Florida is obviously doing that. Just don't understand it. Hoping there is a good explanation.

I believe the 'why' is this -
(a) after training camp, teams have to get to the prescribed roster limit of 23 active players.
(b) PL is joining Fla org now,
(c) for a vet to join the roster now, after not being involved in the roster cutdown, waivers are required, as otherwise this would offer a loophole around roster limits

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
interesting, figured someone would claim him

congrats
giphy.gif

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Is there an unwritten rule that teams will let these signings slide and not make claims on waivers? Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any that were claimed.

Reactions: Mestaruus

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
In the 2010-2011 season the Blues signed both Kyle Wellwood and Marek Svatos because they were ravaged by injury (a pure hockey loser had headshotted Perron out of the lineup for 99 games among other things). The Sharks claimed Wellwood on waivers and the Predators claimed Svatos on waivers.

The best part was that when they were claimed the Sharks and Preds had worse points percentages, but more raw points, so there was a cynical Doug Armstrong voiced outrage about being screwed by the NHL rules that no hockey man of journalism in STL could challenge. Looking at you, Jeremy Rutherford.

Reactions: uncleben

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Is there an unwritten rule that teams will let these signings slide and not make claims on waivers? Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any that were claimed.

I think Nabokov was the last one that I remember, and it actually was causing a stink. Ended up sitting out the season with the isles. Jeez, back 11 years ago now.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
In the 2010-2011 season the Blues signed both Kyle Wellwood and Marek Svatos because they were ravaged by injury (a pure hockey loser had headshotted Perron out of the lineup for 99 games among other things). The Sharks claimed Wellwood on waivers and the Predators claimed Svatos on waivers.

The best part was that when they were claimed the Sharks and Preds had worse points percentages, but more raw points, so there was a cynical Doug Armstrong voiced outrage about being screwed by the NHL rules that no hockey man of journalism in STL could challenge. Looking at you, Jeremy Rutherford.
In 2011, Tampa bay signed Antti Miettinen to a 2-year contract and even gave him a no-trade clause. Winnipeg picked him up on the waivers.

Reactions: Laus723

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Most seem to practice “do unto others” on these things. There is always the thought a team will do the same in the future and not want someone taking revenge.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I suspect it being like that as well. It would be more fun to see some drama with those things :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad