#FIRECHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Hall was moved for both salary reasons and the fact he was capable of freeing up a player like Larsson. He was a significant asset used to address a more significant need on the roster, stabilizing the defense. There was no UFA signing out there capable of doing that. Those types of players simply never become available.

Eberle on the other hand didn't hold near the same value, so yes, his salary was divvied up to fill depth on the roster. Strome fills a depth scoring need.

Ultimately, the defense was always a more glaring need than our wing depth. Although we're seeing that be an issue now, it will always be easier to address.

Yes defense is harder to aquire and so you must make the most and that means trading a Taylor Hall.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Hall is a franchise player. He was here prior to McD and he is the Franchise, Marquee player in Jersey. Try telling fans in Jersey that you're an Oiler fan "coming in peace" and that your an Edmonton fan and "Hall is not a franchise player'' let me know how it goes.

If Hall was a franchise player why has he ever scored over a 100 points and no I will not go to Jersey boards and tell them that Hall is not a franchise player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Best value for production in the league is pretty obviously Nikita Kucherov.

ELC's aside of course, because it's technically McDavid.

The context (which I guess I could have stated but I thought could easily be inferred in context) was traded players contracts. How many players/contracts of this magnitude get traded?

obviously kucherov or McDavid are on the market.

Hall is the best player any GM has obtained in an imbalanced player for player trade in I don't know how long. Probably last one was Seguin trade..

Chia likes these.

Reactions: A91

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If Hall was a franchise player why has he ever scored over a 100 points and no I will not go to Jersey boards and tell them that Hall is not a franchise player.
1 player in the league obtained 100 pts last season with McD at exactly 100. The next top player had 89pts. Does this mean Crosby, OV, Kane, etc are not marquee players?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yes defense is harder to aquire and so you must make the most and that means trading a Taylor Hall.

Only if you are the Oilers does bringing in an Adam Larsson level player require Taylor Hall. Hell not even we had to do that, we got Sekera for free.

The context (which I guess I could have stated but I thought could easily be inferred in context) was traded players contracts. How many players/contracts of this magnitude get traded?

obviously kucherov or McDavid are on the market.

Hall is the best player any GM has obtained in an imbalanced player for player trade in I don't know how long. Probably last one was Seguin trade..

Chia likes these.

Not that I like the Hall trade, but to answer the question, PK Subban. That move will cripple the Habs for the next 10 years.

Hall for Larsson wasn't even the stupidest trade made in that hour. :)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So you're justifying present then on a future unknown because you clearly see the future. Any Lotto numbers for Wednesday? ;)

All Chia has done is get rid of assets to create holes where non existed before in an attempt to fill holes. All we have still, is a pretty average D and with ZERO PMD in the lineup. With guys like Auvitu and Davidson looking like our best puck movers.

Like I've said many times we essentially traded Taylor Hall for a no offense, no transition, but he hits a lot version of Jason Smith.

We traded a PPG producer for a D that isn't even among the top 30 D in the league.

3yrs in and Nurse is the 2nd best D we have. Of course Chia shouldn't get credit for that.

But I should do backflips because Chia overpaid for Sekera and traded a franchise player for Larsson.
No, but considering I watch these games and see how they're performing it's an educated guess that once the Oilers become healthy, it's not unlikely they'll begin to ascend the Pacific standings.

Again, we are nowhere near where the Oilers were at the 2015 draft. And your assessment of the Oilers defense is just flat out wrong. We currently have one of the more productive defensive units in the league this season, despite missing Andrej Sekera, arguably our second best defender and being saddled with an under-performing Oscar Klefbom.

I've never said anyone should do backflips, but I sure as hell am not buying the Taylor Hall pity party you're so focused on two years after the fact. In fact, I'm very happy with Larsson and look forward to seeing him back in the lineup tonight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Only if you are the Oilers does bringing in an Adam Larsson level player require Taylor Hall. Hell not even we had to do that, we got Sekera for free.

Not that I like the Hall trade, but to answer the question, PK Subban. That move will cripple the Habs for the next 10 years.

heh, I was specifically thinking of that one when I wrote the post. Thus saying imbalanced trade. It arguably is but it wasn't considered such at the time, and in fairness, and also its hard to evaluate the respective contributions in isolation. The Habs were a team going south in all probability and the Preds were a deep team that just got a lot better. But for Subban, its far easier in Nashville than it is Montreal because the preds are a better club. Also the whole deal about playing with less pressure in a non hockey crazy market. Playing in Montreal is harder than it is playing here.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

If you are desperate and just do not have anything of value to get a larsson then a Taylor Hall is the best option.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
1 player in the league obtained 100 pts last season with McD at exactly 100. The next top player had 89pts. Does this mean Crosby, OV, Kane, etc are not marquee players?
uhm, okey maybe you hae a point there but he not even in the same league as those players.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If you are desperate and just do not have anything of value to get a larsson then a Taylor Hall is the best option.

No, the correct option is to wait for the right opportunity, not simply hit the panic button and make the best move made available.

It would have also been rather wise for this organization to not miss the boat on opportunities like Hjallmarsson, Hamonic, Hamilton, Demers, Boychuk, Leddy etc who all moved in a pretty short time frame for far far less than Taylor Hall.

We are all well past this discussion though so I'll stop here. Don't want to come off like I'm bashing Larsson either, he's a very good player that I'm happy to have.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
No, but considering I watch these games and see how they're performing it's an educated guess that once the Oilers become healthy, it's not unlikely they'll begin to ascend the Pacific standings.

Again, we are nowhere near where the Oilers were at the 2015 draft. And your assessment of the Oilers defense is just flat out wrong. We currently have one of the more productive defensive units in the league this season, despite missing Andrej Sekera, arguably our second best defender and being saddled with an under-performing Oscar Klefbom.

I've never said anyone should do backflips, but I sure as hell am not buying the Taylor Hall pity party you're so focused on two years after the fact. In fact, I'm very happy with Larsson and look forward to seeing him back in the lineup tonight.
The Oilers have had a minimal amount of injuries. Pretty much similar to what any club faces. Neither Talbot or Larsson have been gone all that long. All NHL teams need to be able to withstand short term injury problems. If one of our top 5 forwards goes down, any of them, we're completely sunk, not that we aren't anyway.

As for D this team has very average puck transitioning. I would subpar. The better teams in the league have D that are far superior at moving the puck out or making good transition passes.

Our top D pt producer last year was Klefbom with 38pts. On a team with talents like McD and Drai that's shockingly bad. Tom Gilbert had a 45pt season here once with not nearly the offensive talent to pass to.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Probably last one was Seguin trade..
I was looking at some old articles from Boston press yesterday as I was thinking about @Night Witch long post that got dismissed as 'wall of text' (very unfair imo).
One thing I found that surprised me was that in the 2012/13 playoffs, just before getting traded for scraps, Seguin put up one goal in 22 playoff games. And went a -2.
Lots of press saying that poor showing finalized his ticket out of Boston. Some suggesting that Chiarelli was right to trade a guy who couldn't show up for the most important games. Some commentary sounded very similar to the old 'addition by subtraction' we are so familiar with in Oil country.
Food for thought. Apologies if you already knew this information.
I sure as hell am not buying the Taylor Hall pity party
Would you give it a rest please. We have been asked not to discuss this trade any longer.
Your sarcastic wrong headed posts on the matter are making it very difficult to avoid taking infractions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I was looking at some old articles from Boston press yesterday as I was thinking about @Night Witch long post that got dismissed as 'wall of text' (very unfair imo).
One thing I found that surprised me was that in the 2012/13 playoffs, just before getting traded for scraps, Seguin put up one goal in 22 playoff games. And went a -2.
Lots of press saying that poor showing finalized his ticket out of Boston. Some suggesting that Chiarelli was right to trade a guy who couldn't show up for the most important games. Some commentary sounded very similar to the old 'addition by subtraction' we are so familiar with in Oil country.
Food for thought. Apologies if you already knew this information.

Would you give it a rest please. We have been asked not to discuss this trade any longer.
Your sarcastic wrong headed posts on the matter are making it very difficult to avoid taking infractions.

Any of us could write volumes. As long as my posts are, there is value being concise as well and believe it or not I try to be. Night Witch was basically stating whatever occurred to him in the moment. The post was 5 paragraphs long before it even got to anything other than setting up the post. It was basically a full page of just preamble before reaching content.

This reminds me of what a particularly sarcastic English Professor once wrote on one of my essays in thick red felt pen'

"The purpose of the English language is to communicate, clear, concise, common sense, you have obviously not discovered that purpose"

he gave me a 65 anyway. This was a bah humbug Christmas returned term paper btw...to a very young first year student. I had just turned 18.

I never forgot that one, I didn't particularly think it was unfair. It just that he nailed me between they eye balls as he should. He certainly got my attention. That was 40yrs ago. I'll never forget it. That was the first troll I ever had but it was a good one.. lol

night witch is a damn fine poster. just to be clear, and I think he knows I feel that way but stating it again just to be clear.

btw this post is too long...but I do hope people get a laugh at it, I'm even giving future ammunition or a signature .haha

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's a reply to a post where he was mentioned in as the primary focus. I'd be more than happy to see an end to the discussion, but some posters just can't seem to let go.

If those replies bother you--as I was directed in the other thread--simply ignore them.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
No, the correct option is to wait for the right opportunity, not simply hit the panic button and make the best move made available.

It would have also been rather wise for this organization to not miss the boat on opportunities like Hjallmarsson, Hamonic, Hamilton, Demers, Boychuk, Leddy
etc who all moved in a pretty short time frame for far far less than Taylor Hall.

We are all well past this discussion though so I'll stop here. Don't want to come off like I'm bashing Larsson either, he's a very good player that I'm happy to have.

Some problems with those players you want,couple of players like Hjallmarsson had an NTC so he would not have wiaved here.Damers is awful and came to see the Oilers in Free agency but choice to go for the weather and very low taxes.Hamilton was traded to the flames for less was because the Bruins are jerks to PC and did do not want to deal him to the Oilers.

When Hamonic was in the trade block(remember he requested a trade) Islander fans said he would cost more and since at that time he was playing very well for them and snow was playing hardball excpet last season he play dwindled so the trade for him this season was draft picks(I say it was an over payment of draft picks).

Boychuck had an NTC and might have wanted to stay in the east and was not ready for the pressure of playing for the Oilers.

Leddy was trade to the east because Chicago wanted to trade him to the east.Also NTC.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

It would have also been rather wise for this organization to not miss the boat on opportunities like Hjallmarsson, Hamonic, Hamilton, Demers, Boychuk, Leddy etc who all moved in a pretty short time frame for far far less than Taylor Hall.

This is just an excellent post, Basically every post written by this poster is, just wanted to say that as well. I do thank you for your contributions, your rebuttals, and I do reflect on them, maybe not always in the moment..;)

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Even Ryan Rishaug, the biggest Oilers apologist out there, literally tweeted out about how Chiarelli was going to lose the trade to fill a need moments before the trade broke. One of the most connected guys who almost always spins stuff in favour of the Oilers was prepping the fanbase for a bad trade.

I don't mind Larsson, but let stop overrating him cause we don't want to feel bad as Oilers fans. It's a bad trade at best and a terrible trade more likely.

This is Chia's MO. Lose/give up value on trades/signings to fill/try to fill a need/what he wants. He did it with the Reinhart trade, then the Hall trade, then the Lucic signing, then the Russell extension, then the Eberle trade.

Is it admirable he's not afraid to make bad moves over and over again? I dunno, I guess? He's sort of active, although he didn't do squat to improve the team in the summer so it's an incredible odd strategy. It'll catch up to him like it did in Boston. Those of us who realize this want to stop the bleeding.

There, I said it without an overdrawn wordy post.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
This is just an excellent post, Basically every post written by this poster is, just wanted to say that as well. I do thank you for your contributions, your rebuttals, and I do reflect on them, maybe not always in the moment..;)

So thank you for agreeing with me huh is that it.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Even Ryan Rishaug, the biggest Oilers apologist out there, literally tweeted out about how Chiarelli was going to lose the trade to fill a need moments before the trade broke. One of the most connected guys who almost always spins stuff in favour of the Oilers was prepping the fanbase for a bad trade.

I don't mind Larsson, but let stop overrating him cause we don't want to feel bad as Oilers fans. It's a bad trade at best and a terrible trade more likely.

This is Chia's MO. Lose/give up value on trades/signings to fill/try to fill a need/what he wants. He did it with the Reinhart trade, then the Hall trade, then the Lucic signing, then the Russell extension, then the Eberle trade.

Is it admirable he's not afraid to make bad moves over and over again? I dunno, I guess? He's sort of active, although he didn't do squat to improve the team in the summer so it's an incredible odd strategy. It'll catch up to him like it did in Boston. Those of us who realize this want to stop the bleeding.

There, I said it without an overdrawn wordy post.

Was Rigshad not the one complied about Yakupov and everyone went after him? Of corse the Oilers were going to lose the deal but we needed Larson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So thank you for agreeing with me huh is that it.

The poster in question called out another of my posts just today. he has licence to do that, as anybody has. The difference being is he replies well and brings rebuttal. Oxo is an excellent poster whether agreeing with me or not. As are Harpoon, Night Witch, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad