Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Beckerman is working a level above any individual team concerns. Lieweke got fired for messing up a deal to get AEG a stadium in LA, not anything related to a team. The Kings are a way to fill Crypto 41 times a year to AEG and that's pretty much it.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
5-on-5 points/60 for Dubois, last 3 years:

21-22: 1.66 (6th best among full-time players on Jets)
22-23: 1.78 (7th best on Jets)
23-24: 1.75 (7th best on Kings)

The idea that Dubois' stats suffered because he played with worse teammates at even strength than he has in the past doesn't really hold up. This year he was basically the same player he's always been except without as much power play time.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I know most people here don't follow the Galaxy, but since they are also owned by AEG I'll add some of my perspective when it comes to what AEG will do. And obviously Soccer is run differently than hockey so it won't like for like, but it is somewhat similar to what the Kings are going through right now.

Galaxy last won MLS in 2014 (already starting to sound familiar right?) Galaxy started to go downhill when their head coach and GM Bruce Arena left to join the US National team in 2016-17. And ever since that happened the Galaxy have been utter shit for a good portion of that time. A former player Chris Klein was promoted to President of the Galaxy around 2013 or so (again sound familiar?) The Galaxy had gone through about 4 different coaches since 2016 (really hitting home now) and missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 seasons and winning 2 playoffs games. Now fast forward to about late 2022/ early 2023 AEG secretly awards a contract extension to Chris Klein, much to the dismay of the Galaxy fans and their supporters groups for which they responded to by boycotting the games until Klein was fired. Galaxy were having a terrible 2023 season and he was indeed eventually fired.

Another member of the front office, Jovan Kirovski who also happened to be a former player, was noted for using his connections with European agents and find players who were out of favor with their club and needed a new one. He was also let go over the past couple of months.

Galaxy just brought in a new GM from outside the organization at the end of last season and made several moves that was extremely different from previous regimes. Galaxy now find themselves 2nd in the Western Conference and 3rd overall in the entire league over the first 10 games into the season.

I don't know if AEG and Beckerman are going to do the same thing with the Kings, but there are striking similarities between the 2 teams. I'm hoping that because the Kings are probably more of their priority than the Galaxy that they will be more aggressive with potential changes.
Thanks for this, great insight into how AEG operates their sports teams in this market. It’s frightening that it took missing the playoffs more years than not to spur changes.

And the hands off mentality is also concerning when it results in former players being handed the reigns. If you’re trying to build a champion, why give the keys to a bunch of ex-athletes? Maybe one or two, but what’s the thinking behind staffing a ton of retired players who previously played for the organization?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Just hoping that some bean counter at AEG has sniffed out what sure appears to be collusion between Brisson and Robitaille. When players receive abnormal contracts with large commissions from a team to the agent - who happen to be close friends - there should be at least a preliminary investigation.
One would think that if collusion had happened that the contract would be null and void and restitution would be in order.
Personell decisions have had a distinct foul odor about them for a while

Reactions: Statto

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
5-on-5 points/60 for Dubois, last 3 years:

21-22: 1.66 (6th best among full-time players on Jets)
22-23: 1.78 (7th best on Jets)
23-24: 1.75 (7th best on Kings)

The idea that Dubois' stats suffered because he played with worse teammates at even strength than he has in the past doesn't really hold up. This year he was basically the same player he's always been except without as much power play time.
Didn't we just go through a series where the difference was the power play?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just don't understand the business fascination, like are these guys so easily hoodwinked by a trio of charming French dudes that they just f***ing drop everything that works and give them the keys?

Not a single one of them has had a modicum of business education OR success in hockey management

What the f*** are we doing here

Uncle Phil blink twice if you're in trouble, are you not of sound mind and they made you sign the trust? Where are the adults here?
Imagine being a pro manager and watching BargainBin decisions.

One of the biggest problems is that in order to undrrstand how good or bad a manager does needs a pro above them.

I started managing at 21 and was fortunate to have a few owners and managers direct me and point out my mistakes.

Who did blake have to show him what is right and keep him from making mistakes? Or was it trial and error?

In BargainBins case Molson did not stop or step in when it was obvious an old boys network of incompetence.

Reactions: chris kontos

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Didn't we just go through a series where the difference was the power play?
Interesting take. He wasn’t as bad as we make it but he was definitely was not any where close to being as good as we needed. I saw a difference after he smashed his leg of the net early in the season.

At first I thought give him 20 games. Injured last year, new team, new teammates, it takes time.

Then it was maybe he is having pain in that leg, he is playing with a rookie and a shitty winger, I will see what he is like after the half way point.

Then there was sign of life and I thought we might see the player management was hoping for. Nope

Game 83 started. He was not bad, scored a lucky goal, maybe this will get him rolling.

Game 88 - still thinking WTF. 6’4, 225 pounds, can skate and shoot. What went wrong. Even the teams he was traded from got better production from him. He should be more protected with the Kings and get better matchups.

In the end he topped up his bank account, lead us in penalty minutes against a team shooting 60% on the PP, and got called out by teammates

At least he has the comfort knowing he got a few gold stars from his coaches.

kingsfanman

Jul 24, 2010
Fire everyone, including the CEO. Bring in Dean as an advisor to the owner, and let him hire the next generation.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
BargainBin in action....good luck as your new GM

tracy-morgan-no-way.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ru4reals

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The last thing the Kings need is yet another B level scorer with zero toughness and who disappears in the playoffs. In fact, the only thing I’d accept out of Toronto at this point are picks.
the narrative on Marner could not be more false. his 5 on 5 production in playoffs is higher than mathews. Toronto media is going to run him out like they did Phil. Marner is much better 200 foot guy than Kessel though.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
the narrative on Marner could not be more false. his 5 on 5 production in playoffs is higher than mathews. Toronto media is going to run him out like they did Phil. Marner is much better 200 foot guy than Kessel though.
The problem with Marner I see in the playoffs is how much he tries to avoid contact. I see him take a long route to a puck and purposefully lose a race to not be the first man to a puck on the wall so he wont get hit.
His contract is up in a year so youd have that 11 million off the books and be able to round out areas of need sooner than if you kept Doughty for 3 years.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

The 2005-06 season ended on April 17th 2006. Dave Taylor was fired April 18th.

The 2016-17 season ended on April 9th 2017. Lombardi was fired April 10th.

So if Blake isn't fired today, he's probably not getting fired. That's my guess.
I haven't read through the entire thread but regarding this:

- The DT and DL firings were after non-playoff seasons.
- If we still have hope today, I believe the DL one was quite late in the afternoon or even early evening as I seem to remember commenting on it here at work late in the day.

Reactions: The Pale King

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If we still have hope today, I believe the DL one was quite late in the afternoon or even early evening as I seem to remember commenting on it here at work late in the day.
That ESPN article on the Dean Firing was published at 5:33PM PST. It's 4:28PM as I write this.

The more time that passes, the less likely it becomes.

Reactions: The Butcher

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I dont expect anyone to be fired the day after the game in Edmonton.
This isnt McDonalds, there is going to be some discussion and some lag time between decisions being made and actions occurring in response to those decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad