Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Do we actually know that? They aren’t necessarily good or bad coaches but they qualify as nepotism hires. The biggest difference is you like them. I like them too, btw.

It’s why I’d not have a view on who should or shouldn’t go outside of the big roles, because we have no idea.
You may not, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

• Haha
Reactions: Statto

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
How did we go from cap room and loaded with prospects to cap hell and no prospects in two years?

Luc/Blake/Hiller should all be gone, blow it the f*** up!!!
WOW, was so excited for this team a few years back and now i can't stand them...only have love for Kopi/QB/Kempe/Laf everyone else can go to hell
Fiala and PLD are taking up 19.6% of the cap

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Don’t give two shits about the 1-3-1. There is a time and place for it.

There power play is straight perimeter

There small diamond in the PK has been decimated.

There is little to no forecheck at times allowing teams to sit back and plan there next move.

Our Defenceman get beat to the puck or at least caught up to in opponent dump ins pinning the puck in our end.

System vs personnel is a debate I have. Something is not clicking. You should not have to rely on a mistake free game with no penalties to even have a sniff at winning.

Powerplay, agree, they are trying for the perfect shot, they get flummoxed easily with an ounce of pressure,

Small diamond PK has been lights out the entire season, EDM had to shift their PP to beat it, and LA didn't respond, that system is fine.

They forecheck a ton, you know when they don't? When the time and place for the 1-3-1 is in play

Our Dman RARELY get beat to the puck on dump ins, the issue there when it happens are 1st pass issues, and Forwards too far away issues...

You are right in something is not clicking, last night was watching, couldn't tell if it was coaches, or players, basic hockey like going to the net, is something foreign.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
[..]

You are right in something is not clicking, last night was watching, couldn't tell if it was coaches, or players, basic hockey like going to the net, is something foreign.
I liked the adjustment to a checking and shot mentality.. but they did not go the net, they did not hassle Skinner they stood of the side and tried to tip pucks.. Thats the problem when you change a system that was basically perimeter hockey to a shot mentality with crashing the net. They absolutely did not do the latter.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I liked the adjustment to a checking and shot mentality.. but they did not go the net, they did not hassle Skinner they stood of the side and tried to tip pucks.. Thats the problem when you change a system that was basically perimeter hockey to a shot mentality with crashing the net. They absolutely did not do the latter.
100% it only works if you drive the net there were 4 or 5 shots that they coasted to the net, shit SOL can get there faster

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Powerplay, agree, they are trying for the perfect shot, they get flummoxed easily with an ounce of pressure,

Small diamond PK has been lights out the entire season, EDM had to shift their PP to beat it, and LA didn't respond, that system is fine.

They forecheck a ton, you know when they don't? When the time and place for the 1-3-1 is in play

Our Dman RARELY get beat to the puck on dump ins, the issue there when it happens are 1st pass issues, and Forwards too far away issues...

I am like you. Can’t put my finger on the one thing but something isn’t working.

There are a lot of times, seems every game I get annoyed at our Dman going back for the puck a little to non-chalant and getting caught or not getting the puck out when there seems they had time. I guess that weighs in my mind.

The diamond on the pk should work but Edmonton is exposing it and there seems to be no adjustment on our end. Be more aggressive, can’t hurt.

Detested seeing PLD out last night in the final minutes and Byfield sitting. That’s all coach. Time went to an undeserving player. I guess that’s not system but more of an execution.

Blake gave the chef some ingredients that don’t mix well and the chef is not creative enough to make something edible.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
At least the next GM will only have to overcome 4.5 million in penalties off of the cap do to Byfield and Talbot’s bonuses as well as The Richard’s buyout and Prov’s salary retention.

This does not include the 8.5 mil if a contract in PLD , no goaltending and your best young star needing a big collared extension.

Talk about walking in to a kick in the nuts.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
It’s probably not fair but the success of the Kings over the last ~18 or so years depends entirely on how involved Derek Armstrong is in the organization so they should probably get rid of him
I hope he provides some kind of other service to the organization because he is absolutely terrible on the air.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
100% it only works if you drive the net there were 4 or 5 shots that they coasted to the net, shit SOL can get there faster
The other thing thats glaring is the PP. They put Kopi in front of the net. that was the one adjustment I noticed. Honestly I think its the personnel - no one wants to discuss Kopi and DD lack of urgency when they touch the puck. They never one touch or create motion they just usually play catch on the perimeter... then compare that to what EDM does, they are always in motion and they use McDavid to create space for Draistaitls one timer or Bouchard slap shot. The Kings have no weapons like that apparently.. but at least they need to try to improve what they are doing. Personally I would like to see Q back on PP1 in front of the net at the minimum. And not going to happen, but try Spence as the QB. They need to try something new... because you cant get worse than o-fer in 4 games.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I am like you. Can’t put my finger on the one thing but something isn’t working.

There are a lot of times, seems every game I get annoyed at our Dman going back for the puck a little to non-chalant and getting caught or not getting the puck out when there seems they had time. I guess that weighs in my mind.

The diamond on the pk should work but Edmonton is exposing it and there seems to be no adjustment on our end. Be more aggressive, can’t hurt.

Detested seeing PLD out last night in the final minutes and Byfield sitting. That’s all coach. Time went to an undeserving player. I guess that’s not system but more of an execution.

Blake gave the chef some ingredients that don’t mix well and the chef is not creative enough to make something edible.

Byfield missing in the last few minutes is absolutely mind boggling stupid on the face of it, UNLESS there was injury we didn't know about,

The non-chalance of any player, is solely on that player

Reactions: funky

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It’s probably not fair but the success of the Kings over the last ~18 or so years depends entirely on how involved Derek Armstrong is in the organization so they should probably get rid of him
...but, but, Derek Armstrong is a beach boy and one of the guys with a nickname ending in "y", so you can't do that.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I hope he provides some kind of other service to the organization because he is absolutely terrible on the air.
When he stops his mumbling he occasionally says something fairly coherent. Just seems like he treats his on-air appearance like his beer league games, ie not that seriously

Reactions: Maynard
Jun 30, 2006
How did we go from cap room and loaded with prospects to cap hell and no prospects in two years?

Luc/Blake/Hiller should all be gone, blow it the f*** up!!!
WOW, was so excited for this team a few years back and now i can't stand them...only have love for Kopi/QB/Kempe/Laf everyone else can go to hell
Easy, we have management and ownership that are not serious about Hockey. I wonder just how much tape they actually watched of PLD prior to his acquisition or time discussing roster building, development. We had the #1 prospect pool and zip to show for it.

These guys in charge aren’t serious hockey people, they’ve chased off anyone that was. The culture that Dean built was dismantled completely in 7 years.

The kings are not serious about winning anything, it’s turned into an organization that prioritizes everything else BUT hockey. It’s been real hard to care and haven’t gone to a game in years. If they lose in 5 and don’t jettison Bluc, that will just confirm they don’t care about the product on the ice.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
the PLD one will really be something

where do you even start with him professionally?

I’d start with the obvious questions, assuming he’s made available to the media.

Q: Hey PL, I’m sure your first season in LA didn’t go the way you and the team planned. Heading into the offseason, what can you take away from your time in LA moving forward?

A: Obviously, we’re all disappointed with how things ended, but I think we have all the right pieces to fix things and come back better next year. For myself, I think I’ve got some things to work on and I’m going to work hard starting tomorrow on my private jet flight to a resort in Hawaii.

Why not Stoll or Greene?

Stoll is critical for the game night broadcast. He’s one of the last incorruptible members of the organization in the eyes of the fans. Greener is key behind the scenes as the Uber driver for anyone needing to get from the airport Marriott to the practice rink. You may scoff, but Rob Blake’s second head coach got lost several times making that same trip.

When there is a shut out at home in the playoffs, you can’t single out PLD because a bunch of other guys also failed to show up. Same for army. He’s out there in front of the camera with snug pants suffering like the rest of us who are happy to hang around.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The other thing thats glaring is the PP. They put Kopi in front of the net. that was the one adjustment I noticed. Honestly I think its the personnel - no one wants to discuss Kopi and DD lack of urgency when they touch the puck. They never one touch or create motion they just usually play catch on the perimeter... then compare that to what EDM does, they are always in motion and they use McDavid to create space for Draistaitls one timer or Bouchard slap shot. The Kings have no weapons like that apparently.. but at least they need to try to improve what they are doing. Personally I would like to see Q back on PP1 in front of the net at the minimum. And not going to happen, but try Spence as the QB. They need to try something new... because you cant get worse than o-fer in 4 games.

DD hasn’t been able to properly QB a power play since 2014, and even then it was never his strong suit. He shouldn’t touch our #1 unit but like usual the inmates are running the asylum so what’re you gonna do

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
DD hasn’t been able to properly QB a power play since 2014, and even then it was never his strong suit. He shouldn’t touch our #1 unit but like usual the inmates are running the asylum so what’re you gonna do
I couldnt listen to htis for more than 15 seconds - my son told me the rest of the answers which were equally inane - but here's Hiller on the PP:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

I doubt Hiller’s reasoning goes any further beyond thinking the season’s on the line, better rely on the Guys Who Have Been Here Before. It’s dumb but I didn’t mind it because they have to give PLD enough rope to hang himself with at this point. They finally gave him his precious NHL-caliber linemates in Fiala and Arvy in the 3rd and to no surprise he did f*** all with it. Play the roster the way management intended it and let it fail and leave no doubt about making big changes this summer.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Nothing against Stoll and Greene, but at this point it would be better off to just move on from everybody with past connections. Plus, it’s not as if the development has been anything great, not blaming them by any stretch, but we need fresh blood throughout this organization.
...but, but, Derek Armstrong is a beach boy and one of the guys with a nickname ending in "y", so you can't do that.
It’s a good thing the Kings did not draft Frank Nazar, he would have the worst “first-syllable + y” nickname ever, he would have taken the crown from Fagemo.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC

Blake is under contract until the end of the 24/25 season. So the odds are in his favor to survive another playoff disappointment.

You have to assume he is in charge of making the PLD decision. I think he’ll run it back for the most part and make smaller changes. My expectation is that he’ll let some older players go and carve out spots for some more kids.

It might even be okay to miss the playoffs next year if more kids are played as long as the team is playing meaningful games come March or April, and the kids are leading the way.

Basically Blake might get a second shot at a half ass rebuild as long as some minor sacred cows are sacrificed.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Blake is under contract until the end of the 24/25 season. So the odds are in his favor to survive another playoff disappointment.

You have to assume he is in charge of making the PLD decision. I think he’ll run it back for the most part and make smaller changes. My expectation is that he’ll let some older players go and carve out spots for some more kids.

It might even be okay to miss the playoffs next year if more kids are played as long as the team is playing meaningful games come March or April, and the kids are leading the way.

Basically Blake might get a second shot at a half ass rebuild as long as some minor sacred cows are sacrificed.
I hope you are wrong. If they look at his tenure and think he should be in charge of anything at this point, then AEG is clueless. What gives me hope is that they were willing to ditch the Koala after extending him a season.

Reactions: KINGS17

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
I hope you are wrong. If they look at his tenure and think he should be in charge of anything at this point, then AEG is clueless. What gives me hope is that they were willing to ditch the Koala after extending him a season.
It took clear, unambiguous failure to fire Todd after years of back patting about making an obviously wrong initial decision.

It will take missing the playoffs while spending a lot of money for ownership to have one iota of interest in how the Kings are doing.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Contracts won’t stop him getting fired unless finances are the only concern. If the financial situation is that bad there are bigger issues than Blake.

Btw. I’d have no issue with Hiller returning to run the pp, as we know he’s good in that role. I think it’s unlikely though as a new coach will rightly want his own team.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Contracts won’t stop him getting fired unless finances are the only concern. If the financial situation is that bad there are bigger issues than Blake.

Btw. I’d have no issue with Hiller returning to run the pp, as we know he’s good in that role. I think it’s unlikely though as a new coach will rightly want his own team.
It’s not that a single contract is killing the bottom line. The issue is when hundreds of millions are wasted, then each additional penny takes on greater meaning.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Just out of interest...
We scored 0 PP goals in a whole playoff series and you think Hiller is good.
What would bad actually look like?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4