Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
That was then, this is now.

Willing combatant because his career is fizzling but he got his ass kicked all year

if we just need someone to get punched in the face we don't need to pay them several million to suck on the ice and lose nearly every fight

He is a rat though, and we could use that

UFA to be Nick Cousins says hello. Made just over a million last season.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
need some news.......falling asleep at work today.

A byfield signing would be huge. Hell even a Spence signing would be awesome.

Is Blake gonna trade Moore in a package for Ehlers?

Does Ken Holland like Purple and Gold?

Did Kaliyev smuggle out State secrets?

Just give me something

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
alex laferriere on the top line is the kind of comedy only hoven can write

love the absolutely miniscule passing mention of trading roy's rights while intentionally neglecting to mention what he could've fetched at the deadline, AND THEN he spitballs trading away the '25 1st rounder to get chychrun

my man truly is in tune with the kings

Again with this rare fantasy scenario. Roy was playing top 4 minutes for a team heading to the playoffs. That guy isn't traded at the deadline, unless the offer is stupidly ridiculous, which it probably wouldn't have been.

I know, if you're not a contender, sell all UFAs at the deadline, because it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs and maybe manage to win a round, if you don't simply embarrass yourself. But, this is pro sports, and unfortunately teams do like making the playoffs.

Why does DL give up assets in that stupid little Halpern trade in 2010? Because maybe you win an extra 1st rd game.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Again with this rare fantasy scenario. Roy was playing top 4 minutes for a team heading to the playoffs. That guy isn't traded at the deadline, unless the offer is stupidly ridiculous, which it probably wouldn't have been.

I know, if you're not a contender, sell all UFAs at the deadline, because it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs and maybe manage to win a round, if you don't simply embarrass yourself. But, this is pro sports, and unfortunately teams do like making the playoffs.

Why does DL give up assets in that stupid little Halpern trade in 2010? Because maybe you win an extra 1st rd game.
Come on this is nonsense. Trading Roy if they werent going to sign him was the obvious right move.
And what are you bringing up Halpern for? DL traded a top 4 dman in Johnson during a contender year.
You didnt have to trade Roy for futures either. Could have been for a really good player that had more term that could help them going forward. Now they lose a very valuable piece for nothing and nothing to show for holding on to him. It isnt hindsight it was very predictable and everyone knew it.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

a team heading for the playoffs? a team that barely squeaked into the playoffs off early season loser points. a team that was stone cold against so called "heading for the playoffs" teams

this is not a contender and it never has been, it's a team max boosting out of the black hole but still getting sucked in - and this is just another example of blake holding his assets until they're effectively zero-value and then in come the "what was he supposed to do?"s

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Come on this is nonsense. Trading Roy if they werent going to sign him was the obvious right move.
And what are you bringing up Halpern for? DL traded a top 4 dman in Johnson during a contender year.
You didnt have to trade Roy for futures either. Could have been for a really good player that had more term that could help them going forward. Now they lose a very valuable piece for nothing and nothing to show for holding on to him. It isnt hindsight it was very predictable and everyone knew it.

So another team making the playoffs is trading a really good player for Roy? With term? Stop.

Yes, DL traded Johnson in a contender year, when the day of the trade they were out of a playoff spot. That was a trade of desperation, that likely doesn't happen if Carter is happy as a Jacket.

Halpern is an example of a team giving away assets, even if they have no shot to win, just because they're making the playoffs.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Disagree.

While I have been adamant against the Kings "going for it," teams who expect to do damage in the playoffs almost always hang onto as much depth as possible.

Not trading Roy at the deadline is completely defensible, even if disagreeable.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
a team heading for the playoffs? a team that barely squeaked into the playoffs off early season loser points. a team that was stone cold against so called "heading for the playoffs" teams

this is not a contender and it never has been, it's a team max boosting out of the black hole but still getting sucked in - and this is just another example of blake holding his assets until they're effectively zero-value and then in come the "what was he supposed to do?"s

I'm not asking what is he supposed to do. I'm saying the trade Roy at the deadline because the team isn't a contender scenario is so rare, that it's it's ridiculous to blane Blake for not doing it. It doesn't even happen once every deadline on average.

Pile on the guy for Dubois and other dumb moves. Those are trades that happen. No GM regularly trades their UFAs when they're heading to the playoffs.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
With CBJ hiring Todd, if a Laine trade goes down we need to sneak Kaliyev in it.

Come on Blake, do something exciting! Doesn't have to be good. We just want some chaos.
can the money even work without like 50%+ retention? especially if you sign roy

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Disagree.

While I have been adamant against the Kings "going for it," teams who expect to do damage in the playoffs almost always hang onto as much depth as possible.

Not trading Roy at the deadline is completely defensible, even if disagreeable.
Yes its defensible. Many of us said at the time there is a case for keeping him for the playoffs.
What kingsfan said was making like its a fantasy to think trading him was an option and thats just not true. There was a strong case to trade him for assets and play Clarke just as there was a case to keep him for the playoffs.
Then bring up Halpern? It was a nonsense post.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
teams who expect to do damage in the playoffs almost always hang onto as much depth as possible.
How did this statement apply to the Kings as the trade deadline approached?

To be clear, I think I suggested trading Roy and Copley to Boston to get Swayman leading up to the 2023 TDL so I have wanted to avoid losing Roy for nothing for a long time.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
can the money even work without like 50%+ retention? especially if you sign roy
Don't think Roy is coming back. Numbers like 6X6 getting thrown around. Too much money for a position the King's are deep in.

There are some rumors about a 9M offer to Guentzel so Laine at 7.8 should be workable. Don't worry, my money is on Guentzel going to Vancouver.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Don't think Roy is coming back. Numbers like 6X6 getting thrown around. Too much money for a position the King's are deep in.

There are some rumors about a 9M offer to Guentzel so Laine at 7.8 should be workable. Don't worry, my money is on Guentzel going to Vancouver.
could see vancouver splashing there, seems like they're trying to keep the gang together. i think they're expecting kinda mid players to keep up exceptional performances but a big FA might help especially if demko is still a question mark long-term
Yes its defensible. Many of us said at the time there is a case for keeping him for the playoffs.
What kingsfan said was making like its a fantasy to think trading him was an option and thats just not true. There was a strong case to trade him for assets and play Clarke just as there was a case to keep him for the playoffs.
Then bring up Halpern? It was a nonsense post.
that's why i'm not really entertaining that post, it's disingenuous imo to act like trading roy at the deadline to a contender was the only option. it's ignorant of all the steps leading up to having roy unsigned at the deadline and no one ready to step in

Reactions: Schmooley

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I know I am late in commenting, but the Turcotte contract is great for the Kings, but man it's awful for Turcotte. Anybody who wants to keep pumping the Brisson/Robitaille conspiracy, this is more ammo. All this contract gives Turcotte is a little bit of insurance should he suffer a career ending injury, but I'm guessing they could have gotten some kind of private insurance plan for less than potential in lost income in years two and three of this deal.

This gives the Kings potentially a huge discount, in years 2 and 3. Something like a 10-20-30 type season (which is very possible) would have probably gotten him at least what Lizotte got, and probably with cap inflation, closer to $2m. I normally think the "bet on yourself" crowd is wrong (like with Byfield debate), but that is when generational wealth is being offered, not when the team is signing you for the NHL minimum for **THREE** years.

Turcotte will have about $2.8m in career earnings following his age 25 season in 26-27, while being under contract to the Kings since April 2020. I don't think that's a good look for Brisson at all. The decision to leave school early added a year to his contract since he didn't burn a year in 20-21 like the kids who stayed did and now a good chunk of his prime years he will be spent making minimum wage.

I can't believe this contract was accepted. But good on Blake (or Robitaille)

Hear me out -

Matt Martin - Nick Cousins - Cal Clutterbuck 4th line.

Would much rather see our own players take these spots. Signing these guys just blocks guys who aren't kids anymore in Thomas (24), Lee(24) and Turcotte (23).

I'd much rather that be our fourth line than bringing in the modern versions of Trent Hunter and Ethan Moreau.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbrown33

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Two biggest wants:

Right shot for PP that's good at shooting. (Not 8) Right handed Fiala would be nice.

Puck mover for Doughty, then run 44/92 as a pair. Brannstrom, Spence, anything.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
need some news.......falling asleep at work today.

A byfield signing would be huge. Hell even a Spence signing would be awesome.

Is Blake gonna trade Moore in a package for Ehlers?

Does Ken Holland like Purple and Gold?

Did Kaliyev smuggle out State secrets?

Just give me something
Kings traded Grundstrom for Burroughs just now. Dont know why we got a Dman

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think it was Friedman on a recent podcast who stated that there is a lot of interest around the league for Arvidsson. I don’t expect him to return.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Awesome. I was concerned Spence and Clarke would get too much playing time next season. :sarcasm: Almost feel bad for Grundstrom, but I could see him working his way onto the 2nd line in San Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad