Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Other than them being countrymen and knowing each other since they were kids, explain how selecting Mesar was an insurance for Slaf?

Aside from being teammates internationally, they've been apart from each other since they were young. Slaf was away from home since he was 14. He played in Austria and Czechia before heading to Finland. Mesar continued to develop in the Slovakian leagues. Separate paths and not together.

Even after they got drafted, they haven't been next to each other. One went straight to the NHL. The other was sent to the OHL.

Mesar was selected around the area of the draft he was predicted to go. He was slated to be a late 1st-early 2nd round player. He was not a reach and the idea he was taken for Slaf is not an honest narrative.

He might take a little longer than guys like Beck and Hutson, who were taken after him. But Mesar has what it takes to get to the NHL.
But that's my point. There were 3 or 4 players on that range, im not saying Mesar was a so-called reach (for me it was, bc im sick to death of small forwards), but since they picked Slaf id venture a guess the tie went to Mesar.. why not take a flyer on him.. it didnt work out. He may still find himself in the NHL but he needs to make top 6 bc hes an ugly bottom 6 guy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But that's my point. There were 3 or 4 players on that range, im not saying Mesar was a so-called reach (for me it was, bc im sick to death of small forwards), but since they picked Slaf id venture a guess the tie went to Mesar.. why not take a flyer on him.. it didnt work out. He may still find himself in the NHL but he needs to make top 6 bc hes an ugly bottom 6 guy.

But out of those 3-4 players in that range, is it that hard to believe that Habs had Mesar ahead of the others? If you seriously think they're selecting someone because of another draft pick and not because of his own merits, then I don't know what to tell you other than your narrative (that others share) is way off.

Also, I disagree with your take that he has to be a Top-6 and that he'd be a terrible Bottom-6. Let me remind you that he's a 26th OA pick and not a Top-10 pick. Chances are more that he'll be a Bottom-6 than a Top-6. And I think he would be good in that role, too. He plays with pace and has great vision.

He has things to work on. But people are throwing the towel on this guy so fast, it's ridiculous, especially when sooo many haven't even really watched him play a lot.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
But out of those 3-4 players in that range, is it that hard to believe that Habs had Mesar ahead of the others? If you seriously think they're selecting someone because of another draft pick and not because of his own merits, then I don't know what to tell you other than your narrative (that others share) is way off.

Also, I disagree with your take that he has to be a Top-6 and that he'd be a terrible Bottom-6. Let me remind you that he's a 26th OA pick and not a Top-10 pick. Chances are more that he'll be a Bottom-6 than a Top-6. And I think he would be good in that role, too. He plays with pace and has great vision.

He has things to work on. But people are throwing the towel on this guy so fast, it's ridiculous, especially when sooo many haven't even really watched him play a lot.
I said mesar was (rated) equal to 3 or 4 others in that spot... personally i wanted Lambert, but whatevs..

Now 2 years later, if there was a redraft, he'd be taken in the late 2nd (if that).. the answer lies in his current value: an undersized perimeter playmaker with scoring upside. No defense to speak of, which is a huge blackhole in his game if he's ever to crack the NHL..

A player like him better be a prolific point producer if he expects coaches to overlook his attitude towards the 200' game..

Razzle dazzle all you want, meaningless and dime a dozen..

He's got this year to prove himself, coz right now hugo and MSL agree (obviously) that he is not close. Time is running out on him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Good job big dog, see you next year.

tiger-woods-big-dog.jpg

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I dont think i have ever overrated Mesar, I have exaggerated my predictions but i still think he's got elite offensive talent but has giant holes without the puck... which is very easy to teach.

He was considered a wonderkid in Slovakia and was rated to go out as early as 10. Only issue with him was his size and defensive game.

Im exited to see him play in Laval this year and show everyone what he's trully capable of
He's very smart and has great wheels. What's not to love. He's taking a very challenging route to the NHL (crowded roster, playing in Kitchener while his bff gets MTL spotlight), and I think that sometimes gets lost in the sauce when analyzing his growth.

I hope he is keeping a good attitude throughout all this. Keep developing his mental fortitude. Laval will be good for him, much better environment than dog days in Kitchener

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

4 guys commenting on a player they never seen play juniors.

Delorme doesn't even know how much Mesar weighs, says hes 168 lb when hes around 180lb.

The other guy is still salty we dint pick Kulich and thinks we picked him because hes Slovak, says Mesar is not flashy and he doesnt want to go in the middle of the ice... lots of bs and baseless opinions. Says he should of dominated juniors because his teammates had better stats.

Lavoie admitted he did not see Mesar in juniors and hes only judging him based on the training camps hes seen.

Basicly a typical HFboards conversion but these clowns are getting paid.

So again Mesar will dominate this year in Laval, the organisation seems keen to help him find his way. Not sure if his future is with the club unfortunatly at this point but there's no question hes got the talent

Reactions: Yep

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Gilbert Delhorme... you're an ex habs player and you can't call a buddy in the habs organisation to confirm Mesar's weight?

Check tes facts bigz... Mesar is 184 lb not 168lb... you were only off by 16 lb !
Lache HockeyDB

1000003812.jpg

1000003813.jpg

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I dont think i have ever overrated Mesar, I have exaggerated my predictions but i still think he's got elite offensive talent but has giant holes without the puck... which is very easy to teach.

He was considered a wonderkid in Slovakia and was rated to go out as early as 10. Only issue with him was his size and defensive game.

Im exited to see him play in Laval this year and show everyone what he's trully capable of

Define "who"
you just said he's smarter and more skilled than Hutson, so maybe rethink this statement

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I said mesar was (rated) equal to 3 or 4 others in that spot... personally i wanted Lambert, but whatevs..

Now 2 years later, if there was a redraft, he'd be taken in the late 2nd (if that).. the answer lies in his current value: an undersized perimeter playmaker with scoring upside. No defense to speak of, which is a huge blackhole in his game if he's ever to crack the NHL..

A player like him better be a prolific point producer if he expects coaches to overlook his attitude towards the 200' game..

Razzle dazzle all you want, meaningless and dime a dozen..

He's got this year to prove himself, coz right now hugo and MSL agree (obviously) that he is not close. Time is running out on him.

Time is not running out on a prospect who is hitting the AHL just this year. Is time running out on Owen Beck? Adam Engstrom?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad