Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Other than them being countrymen and knowing each other since they were kids, explain how selecting Mesar was an insurance for Slaf?

Aside from being teammates internationally, they've been apart from each other since they were young. Slaf was away from home since he was 14. He played in Austria and Czechia before heading to Finland. Mesar continued to develop in the Slovakian leagues. Separate paths and not together.

Even after they got drafted, they haven't been next to each other. One went straight to the NHL. The other was sent to the OHL.

Mesar was selected around the area of the draft he was predicted to go. He was slated to be a late 1st-early 2nd round player. He was not a reach and the idea he was taken for Slaf is not an honest narrative.

He might take a little longer than guys like Beck and Hutson, who were taken after him. But Mesar has what it takes to get to the NHL.
But that's my point. There were 3 or 4 players on that range, im not saying Mesar was a so-called reach (for me it was, bc im sick to death of small forwards), but since they picked Slaf id venture a guess the tie went to Mesar.. why not take a flyer on him.. it didnt work out. He may still find himself in the NHL but he needs to make top 6 bc hes an ugly bottom 6 guy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But that's my point. There were 3 or 4 players on that range, im not saying Mesar was a so-called reach (for me it was, bc im sick to death of small forwards), but since they picked Slaf id venture a guess the tie went to Mesar.. why not take a flyer on him.. it didnt work out. He may still find himself in the NHL but he needs to make top 6 bc hes an ugly bottom 6 guy.

But out of those 3-4 players in that range, is it that hard to believe that Habs had Mesar ahead of the others? If you seriously think they're selecting someone because of another draft pick and not because of his own merits, then I don't know what to tell you other than your narrative (that others share) is way off.

Also, I disagree with your take that he has to be a Top-6 and that he'd be a terrible Bottom-6. Let me remind you that he's a 26th OA pick and not a Top-10 pick. Chances are more that he'll be a Bottom-6 than a Top-6. And I think he would be good in that role, too. He plays with pace and has great vision.

He has things to work on. But people are throwing the towel on this guy so fast, it's ridiculous, especially when sooo many haven't even really watched him play a lot.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
But out of those 3-4 players in that range, is it that hard to believe that Habs had Mesar ahead of the others? If you seriously think they're selecting someone because of another draft pick and not because of his own merits, then I don't know what to tell you other than your narrative (that others share) is way off.

Also, I disagree with your take that he has to be a Top-6 and that he'd be a terrible Bottom-6. Let me remind you that he's a 26th OA pick and not a Top-10 pick. Chances are more that he'll be a Bottom-6 than a Top-6. And I think he would be good in that role, too. He plays with pace and has great vision.

He has things to work on. But people are throwing the towel on this guy so fast, it's ridiculous, especially when sooo many haven't even really watched him play a lot.
I said mesar was (rated) equal to 3 or 4 others in that spot... personally i wanted Lambert, but whatevs..

Now 2 years later, if there was a redraft, he'd be taken in the late 2nd (if that).. the answer lies in his current value: an undersized perimeter playmaker with scoring upside. No defense to speak of, which is a huge blackhole in his game if he's ever to crack the NHL..

A player like him better be a prolific point producer if he expects coaches to overlook his attitude towards the 200' game..

Razzle dazzle all you want, meaningless and dime a dozen..

He's got this year to prove himself, coz right now hugo and MSL agree (obviously) that he is not close. Time is running out on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad