Fifty years ago, Bobby Orr arrived for first Bruins training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:GWC::wally:

I really feel old now :help:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...aining-camp/u6TA1KFNcI6iWkcLdfywIJ/story.html

50 years ago, Sept. 15, 1966, to be exact, Orr reported to his first camp with the Bruins in London, Ontario. Almost immediately, what had become a risible franchise, without a playoff berth for seven straight seasons, blossomed into a thriving, at times intimidating, force in the NHL. With Orr at the forefront, the Bruins won a pair of Stanley Cups (1970, ’72) by the time he was 24, the rare case when all the hype proved to be substantially less than what the “phenom-to-be’’ actually delivered.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Spectacular article

You could drop Charlie McAvoy into a public high school league and he wouldn't be that dominate

Best player I ever saw

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Spectacular article

You could drop Charlie McAvoy into a public high school league and he wouldn't be that dominate

Best player I ever saw

Just not enough adjectives. I remember seeing Ted Donato playing Peewee hockey at around age 7 and it was unbelievable. I can't imagine what Orr must have looked like.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just not enough adjectives. I remember seeing Ted Donato playing Peewee hockey at around age 7 and it was unbelievable. I can't imagine what Orr must have looked like.

I started going as a 7 year old the year before Orr and got to see him live 50-100 times from my folks row 1 loge so I could see when he finally needed to shave

He was like today's best player with all the power skating, shooting camps, training and they get to wear the skates from today and go back

He was futuristic coming from 50 years in time

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I started going as a 7 year old the year before Orr and got to see him live 50-100 times from my folks row 1 loge so I could see when he finally needed to shave

He was like today's best player with all the power skating, shooting camps, training and they get to wear the skates from today and go back

He was futuristic coming from 50 years in time

I think my first game was 67 in my parents seats at Stadium section 5 row 2. If Orr was hurt,my father would give me his ticket, Thanks Dad. My father had a bad knee so when it was acting up,I'd get his ticket then too. Also got his ticket for the 71 All star game when Orr was MVP. Don't know how many Orr games I saw in person,maybe 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad