Fallout 4 - Part IV - Settled In - Use Spoiler Tags.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
I like New Vegas more but there are quite a few things (mostly related to game mechanics) about Fallout 4 that I think Bethesda did right. If Obsidian is contracted to make a new Fallout with the updated engine I will be very happy.

Things Fallout 4 did better:
- Graphics
- Combat
- Quick loot
- Radiation damage
- Settlement building
- Crafting & weapon/armor mods
- Survival mode
- Power armor
- Armor system
- Companions
- Sprint
- VATS
- Music
- Less bugs at launch

Things New Vegas did better:
- Character creation (skills, traits, perks)
- Story
- Characters
- Dialogue
- Quests
- Damage threshold
- Very few essential NPCs
- Unique weapons & armor
- Unarmed weapons (there are a grand total of 4 in Fallout 4 and 2 in Far Harbor.)
- Enemy variety
- Side factions (Jacobstown, Great Khans, etc.)
- Armor disguises

Yeah that is a pretty good summary
But in all honesty Fallout 5(?) needs some improvement on 4's mechanics like settlement building (which was kinda lame) and finding power armour pretty much everywhere.

Settlements- Have more unique settlements, with unique NPC's. This way there is more character in the world. For settlements, they should have areas or buildings that you have to clear of enemies and then repair and/or make into a settlement. for example it would of been cool if in fallout 4 I could of made vault 111 into a home or base. And for enemy strongholds, those towers in downtown Boston would been cool to see as miniature cities

Meh. This is my first fallout game so I can't weigh it against 3 and NV so I really did love my experience. But now I've beaten the Institute and I find myself doing menial sidequests asking myself "why am I bothering? what else is there?"

This is one of the problems with four. The side quests are really, really linear. Pretty much no variety. It Kills the playability of the game overall.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
But in all honesty Fallout 5(?) needs some improvement on 4's mechanics like settlement building (which was kinda lame) and finding power armour pretty much everywhere.

Settlements- Have more unique settlements, with unique NPC's. This way there is more character in the world. For settlements, they should have areas or buildings that you have to clear of enemies and then repair and/or make into a settlement. for example it would of been cool if in fallout 4 I could of made vault 111 into a home or base. And for enemy strongholds, those towers in downtown Boston would been cool to see as miniature cities...

Settlement building is really not hard at all (on PC, anyway) - the pieces snap together. You just need supply lines and the freedom to build is pretty great.

The game lets you build nine stories in to the air, so, you can create a bunch of towers to make up one settlement. (this is just one 9 story tower at my taffington boathouse)

LsI1Rlc.jpg

lf1IBgD.jpg

Customizing and living in one of the vaults, though, that would be cool.

Hopefully Far Harbor has some settlements with new stuff. What level do I need to be to go there? I am level 49 and aligned with the institute, but, haven't beat it (yet). Need to also make a robot, soon.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hopefully Far Harbor has some settlements with new stuff. What level do I need to be to go there? I am level 49 and aligned with the institute, but, haven't beat it (yet). Need to also make a robot, soon.

You'll be just fine. As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which faction you chose on the mainland, it doesn't really affect the story on Far Harbor. There are new factions to align with (I think you can take sides, I'm not that far yet).

But I'm level 46 and I have no problem with the combat on Far Harbor.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
You guys didn't like the side quests in this game? I thought a lot of the best missions were side quests. Secret of Cabot House, The Big Dig, The Devil's Due, Hole in the Wall, Last Voyage of the USS Constitution and the Silver shroud quest line were all pretty fun.

Finished it last night

Now I know you can't kill children in the game but it seems way crueler to

[spoil]make the kid on the prydwen watch me murder everyone else then die by himself as I blow the whole ship up[/spoil]

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
You guys didn't like the side quests in this game? I thought a lot of the best missions were side quests. Secret of Cabot House, The Big Dig, The Devil's Due, Hole in the Wall, Last Voyage of the USS Constitution and the Silver shroud quest line were all pretty fun.

Finished it last night

Now I know you can't kill children in the game but it seems way crueler to

[spoil]make the kid on the prydwen watch me murder everyone else then die by himself as I blow the whole ship up[/spoil]

The problem with the side quests, for me at least, were that the raiders, Gunners, and children of atom were ignored, and the radiant quests got old in a hurry.

Doing my second playthrough, and my level 60 character doesn't feel any different than my level 100 one, it's just that I'm ignoring the BoS and minutemen this time around.

Far harbour was decent, expanded on some of the story, but would've liked back story on the trappers. Didn't have any frame rate issues on the PCMR edition.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Mods on Xbox today.

The servers are severely have problems right now.

Couldn't even log in until a few minutes ago. Kept on trying to download a mod, but i kept on getting kicked back to the main menu. Now i can't log on again.

Edit: Finally was able to log in and download a mod.

Edit #2: I think i am done for the day trying to download mods. Just keep getting kicked back to the menu.

Last edited:

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
The servers are severely have problems right now.

Couldn't even log in until a few minutes ago. Kept on trying to download a mod, but i kept on getting kicked back to the main menu. Now i can't log on again.

Edit: Finally was able to log in and download a mod.

Edit #2: I think i am done for the day trying to download mods. Just keep getting kicked back to the menu.

Yea I was having alot of trouble getting on there too, one time i downloaded a bunch that I picked out already then it kicked me, sometimes it froze but eventually I got to start messing with it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Yea I was having alot of trouble getting on there too, one time i downloaded a bunch that I picked out already then it kicked me, sometimes it froze but eventually I got to start messing with it.

It is understandable why they are having trouble, but it is still annoying.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
How do you guys usually build your robots? I brought Ada to the mechanist level and she was quite underwhelming, despite being fully decked out in sentry gear.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
[spoil]Can someone please tell me what I'm missing out on? Im a level 23, and I've really only done the main quests, sided with the Institute and became the director, and I've done a few BoS and Minutemen quests. Did I miss anything by killing everyone in the Railroad? Is the BoS storyline over now that I killed everyone? What is there for me to do now?[/spoil]

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
[spoil]Can someone please tell me what I'm missing out on? Im a level 23, and I've really only done the main quests, sided with the Institute and became the director, and I've done a few BoS and Minutemen quests. Did I miss anything by killing everyone in the Railroad? Is the BoS storyline over now that I killed everyone? What is there for me to do now?[/spoil]

yep the story line is over, the things left to do is side quests and radiant (repeating) MM and Inst quests.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Sounds like you've done very few side quests, radiant quests, and little exploring. Plowing through the main quest line as fast as possible in a Bethesda game usually isn't the best way to go.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Gotta explore. It's an open world game specifically for you to branch out from just doing the main quests.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sounds like you've done very few side quests, radiant quests, and little exploring. Plowing through the main quest line as fast as possible in a Bethesda game usually isn't the best way to go.

When I played Skyrim I definitely didn't do this. I think my problem is I was so concerned with siding with the Institute I didn't want to do any quests that would make that not an option

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I sort of made this mistake. I started the mission to take on the Institute too soon without realizing it basically locked me into the endgame until way after I finished the mission. Didn't feel like going back to an old save. Now the side quests all feel purposeless. And as I said in another thread, Bethesda doesn't seem to have corrected the PS4 fog framerate issues so far harbor is almost entirely unplayable when I find myself in the fog.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
When I played Skyrim I definitely didn't do this. I think my problem is I was so concerned with siding with the Institute I didn't want to do any quests that would make that not an option

I don't think choosing to backstab the railroad makes a shred of difference. They were lame anyway. Not for synth sympathizing. Their set up just seemed weak. For my money the big two players are the BoS and the Institute. The minutemen are pretty much a supplementary group. I went with the brotherhood and they stayed allied to me. I'd imagine if you choose the Institute they wouldn't like that much at all. I like being sided with the minutemen though. The Castle is my preffered Settlement.

Also can we talk about how the locations that would make sense (factories and intact multistory buildings) are ignored for settlement sites in favor of run down shanties in horrible condition?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think choosing to backstab the railroad makes a shred of difference. They were lame anyway. Not for synth sympathizing. Their set up just seemed weak. For my money the big two players are the BoS and the Institute. The minutemen are pretty much a supplementary group. I went with the brotherhood and they stayed allied to me. I'd imagine if you choose the Institute they wouldn't like that much at all. I like being sided with the minutemen though. The Castle is my preffered Settlement.

Also can we talk about how the locations that would make sense (factories and intact multistory buildings) are ignored for settlement sites in favor of run down shanties in horrible condition?

The minutemen:

[spoil]They're on your side no matter what main faction you choose, they don't say anything about which faction you choose and it doesn't affect their storyline.[/spoil]

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The minutemen:

[spoil]They're on your side no matter what main faction you choose, they don't say anything about which faction you choose and it doesn't affect their storyline.[/spoil]

Well that's disappointing.

Anyway. Until there's a patch to the far harbor ps4 framerate issue I have run out of things to do. I mean that's not entirely true but every mission is so repetitive now. I don't feel like playing anymore. Hope the far harbor issues are cleared before mods come to ps4

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well that's disappointing.

Anyway. Until there's a patch to the far harbor ps4 framerate issue I have run out of things to do. I mean that's not entirely true but every mission is so repetitive now. I don't feel like playing anymore. Hope the far harbor issues are cleared before mods come to ps4

One thing I did when I "ran out of stuff to do" was went and found all the other vaults, and then read the background stories on each of them. It was a little different, and the stories behind them are interesting.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

You should go with the Railroad to a point, if just for the ballistic weave. (not a fan of power armor FWIW). Ballistic weave mk5 in the courser uniform or Mechanist armor is quite bad ass.

And I liked their radiant quests a lot better than the Minutemen. The BoS and Institute are about the same IMO, both proclaim humanity is their best interest, but tech ****** and xenophobes in reality.

As far as settlements go, agreed. In Sanctuary, it would make more sense to rebuild those homes to look like real homes (they did somehow stand up to 200 years in the elements), rather than the ratty shack homes when you build on the cleared foundations.

Or like in the castle, it would've been nice to rebuild some of those broken brick walls....I mean if Struges can build me a transporter, people should be able to make mortar and bricks. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad