Post-Game Talk: Face a real team? Oilers Lose 5-1, Oh No, We Suck Again!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cyro

Nov 21, 2013
North America
Jets fan here, I'll leave right away...we got schooled by the Hawks in every game we played them this year, Thier contenders for the Cup, It sucks being in thier Division..

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Everything starts with................???

Everything starts with DEFENCE..........the Hawks have much better defensemen and goaltending than the Oilers..........thats the difference between Edmonton and Chicago............!!!

Oct 15, 2008
Really? We're really going to jump to crazy conclusions like that, after one loss?

Ugh.... Tough game, but Chicago's a really good squad, even without Hossa. Lets just focus on Nashville. Very excited to see Bryzgalov start.

Every team is better than us.

I guess if that is the bar we are setting it is ok to lose to everyone.

Oct 15, 2008
Everything starts with DEFENCE..........the Hawks have much better defensemen and goaltending than the Oilers..........thats the difference between Edmonton and Chicago............!!!

Their defense isnt all that. Neither is their goaltending. They do have size up front and they have incredible depth. That's the difference. They also dont rely on rookies or very young players to carry the day. Our top line are all noobs. We send them out against the very best every team has to offer. That dog wont hunt.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005

It will be interesting to see where this goes if Bryzgalov takes the reins and plays well behind this team and gives them a little consistency between the pipes. Bryzgalov can be a decent goaltender. The Oilers have clearly needed another option in net besides Dubnyk, and Bryzgalov gives Eakins that option. Obviously, the Oilers still need a number one defender.

I'm just as curious to follow Brossoit's development this season in the AHL and also Bunz who is now in the ECHL. Both goaltenders should play a lot for their respective teams. Brossoit needs to get a lot of games, since LaBarbera is presumably not in the team's future plans. LaBarbera should therefore take a back seat to Brossoit from a developmental standpoint, if Brossoit can handle it. The Oilers need some stellar play from their two young goaltending prospects in OKC and Bakersfield. Should be interesting to follow for the rest of the season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^^ I would say coaching is different as well..

Eakins shoulda been "pulled" after putting this out there on the PK and with Yak on point and facing Toews, Handzus, Saad, Keith when a home game is 0-0 and he has last line change.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/GS020362.HTM

No genius, maybe not the ideal time for your patented 5 forward self destruct invention.

The GA/60mins of those combined forwards with Dubs in net this year has been astronomical. Yeah lets start that against the SC champs and some of the best players in the world. Lets see what happens..:sarcasm:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m
Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

that's disgusting
fuuuuuuuuuuuu

at least as I get older and I watch less hockey it won't affect me as much as it would have 10 years ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
what about the comment of:

" and Eberle shoots it right at the indian head"

i thought that was out of line. Thoughts?

I turned the TV off and ran to my room in tears when I heard that. Tried to console myself by listening to "Indian Outlaw" by Tim McGraw over and over.:sarcasm:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
^^ I would say coaching is different as well..

Eakins shoulda been "pulled" after putting this out there on the PK and with Yak on point and facing Toews, Handzus, Saad, Keith when a home game is 0-0 and he has last line change.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/GS020362.HTM

No genius, maybe not the ideal time for your patented 5 forward self destruct invention.

The GA/60mins of those combined forwards with Dubs in net this year has been astronomical. Yeah lets start that against the SC champs and some of the best players in the world. Lets see what happens..:sarcasm:

Ah yeah, Replacement coming in after a loss to lambast Eakins in hindsight.

Looks like a dumb system when you get scored on a SHG in the 1st, looks like a great system the 2 games before when the PP is really clicking and you're facing the 29th ranked PK in the league so why change it?

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
Ah yeah, Replacement coming in after a loss to lambast Eakins in hindsight.

Looks like a dumb system when you get scored on a SHG in the 1st, looks like a great system the 2 games before when the PP is really clicking and you're facing the 29th ranked PK in the league so why change it?

That play with Yak on the PP was a killer for them for sure. It was like the players said " if we cant get our PP going just how do we do this"??

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Their defense isnt all that. Neither is their goaltending. They do have size up front and they have incredible depth. That's the difference. They also dont rely on rookies or very young players to carry the day. Our top line are all noobs. We send them out against the very best every team has to offer. That dog wont hunt.

Your vastly underrating their defence. Seabrook and Keith are both better then any defenceman we've had since Pronger. Oduya and Hjalmarsson would both be on our top pairing right now. I agree Crawford isn't great but he doesn't have to be with those 4 anchoring the d.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That play with Yak on the PP was a killer for them for sure. It was like the players said " if we cant get our PP going just how do we do this"??

I don't even blame Yak on that play, he made the right decision. Whoever was on the other point should have started to go back towards the red line just in case the puck made it past Yakupov. If I'm not mistaken that would have been an error on RNH. Can anyone confirm he was on the other point on that play?

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 12m
"He's got a banged up ankle or foot. It was tender enough that he couldn't practice. We'll re-evaluate tomorrow." - Coach Eakins on Yak

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Didn't mind this game. They competed, got chances but much like most teams who play Chicago just got beat by a better team. Shows we still got a long way to go. Much better team the last 4 games, watching the games has at least been enjoyable.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Didn't mind this game. They competed, got chances but much like most teams who play Chicago just got beat by a better team. Shows we still got a long way to go. Much better team the last 4 games, watching the games has at least been enjoyable.

The majority of players quit after the 3rd goal. You could actually see the shoulders slumping...except Hall and a couple of others, as usual.

Has to be pretty disappointing for players in these types of situations. No wonder some players ask for trades.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Chicago won by having sticks in the lanes to break up fancy passing plays by the Oilers, utilizing their roster depth, and displaying patience with the puck to limit turnovers. Chicago taught Edmonton a lesson on what championship-level teams do to win a lot of games.

It just sucks that today I have had to field numerous questions from my coworkers who are Hawks' fans about why the Oilers are still a bad team. Based on last season's games against the Hawks they felt the Oilers were getting better; at least until they watched last evening's performance.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Your vastly underrating their defence. Seabrook and Keith are both better then any defenceman we've had since Pronger. Oduya and Hjalmarsson would both be on our top pairing right now. I agree Crawford isn't great but he doesn't have to be with those 4 anchoring the d.

It's not just defense. Say you swoped Oilers and Blues defense. I bet Petry, Belov and others all of a sudden would start to look not that bad. And Pie, JBo, Shatty and others would have to always watch pretty hard after all those opponents' odd man rushes Edmonton offense creates at will.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
LOL the Edmonton Sun is blasting people for cheering loudly when Bryzgalov came in, saying it was disrespectful to Dubnyk. I agree none of the goals last night were his fault, be eh, what can you do.

This has been a miserable season, can't blame the fans for latching onto something at least exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad