Post-Game Talk: Face a real team? Oilers Lose 5-1, Oh No, We Suck Again!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
For me, tonight's game was completely overshadowed by the TV deal. RIP TSN. The hockey coverage landscape has changed completely.

I was at that stinker of a game tonight, what exactly went down with this TV deal?

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Seems like it will be fully announced Tuesday. But i guess CBC and Rogers got all the English speaking National TV rights for the next 12 years.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
At least we can see Bryz for a full game next time. It would have been bad coaching to sit Dubnyk in the middle of a hot streak to see how our new tender looks, but now we can. Maybe he can play like Thomas is playing right now, and steal us a couple games.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We lost 5-1. If they're not taking that hard, they have no business being in the NHL.

The last 7+ years have piled evidence supporting the notion this Oilers team does not in fact belong in the NHL.

Time to stop getting down about losses and focus on the next game. Good teams try not to lose two games in a row. This should be seen as an opportunity to bring that habit into our game.

I'm tired of being down all the time with this team. I hope they display some resilience and growth in the coming games by not letting our first loss in four games snowball into another losing streak. Time to grow up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really? We're really going to jump to crazy conclusions like that, after one loss?

Ugh.... Tough game, but Chicago's a really good squad, even without Hossa. Lets just focus on Nashville. Very excited to see Bryzgalov start.

Anybody looking at this objectively that has seen both Dubs and Bryz play for years knows beyond a doubt which is the better goalie.

It isn't any stretch whatsoever. Its only a homer element here that pretends that what they've been watching in Dubs all these years equates to NHL starter.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

Essentially... TSN's hockey coverage is likely going to hit the tank. What happens to the Draft? Trade Deadline? Free Agent Frenzy? Any coverage what so ever? Commentary? Analysis? Likely will see lot of personnel jumping ship.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m
Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

Wow... so that basically kills TSN? lol

How is Rogers even going to broadcast national games? I hope this doesn't mean less hockey for the average viewer. 6 days of the week TSN is the only option for hockey outside of the Flames or the Oilers.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Anybody looking at this objectively that has seen both Dubs and Bryz play for years knows beyond a doubt which is the better goalie.

It isn't any stretch whatsoever. Its only a homer element here that pretends that what they've been watching in Dubs all these years equates to NHL starter.

OMG i agree completely with replacement this is a scary moment:sarcasm:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

_OIL2224_slide.jpg

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The one positive I take from this game is not seeing Dubnyk for awhile. I'll take it. Hopefully the Potter experiment is over as well.

What an org. Trade Smid for hockey pucks so we can give Potter a spot. Obtain Bryz and have him watch Dubnyk for multiple games. Least Bryz finally got some action here.

Let's hope so. Dubnyk's done enough damage for this team. He can go play somewhere in the ECHL now, for all I care.
Bryz has actually had winning records in the past, so I'm hopeful he can have a renaissance, as it were.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Essentially... TSN's hockey coverage is likely going to hit the tank. What happens to the Draft? Trade Deadline? Free Agent Frenzy? Any coverage what so ever? Commentary? Analysis? Likely will see lot of personnel jumping ship.
Im just scared we will see more jumping to the states then to rogers or cbc.... Gonna miss TSN even if they did make the draft seem like a presidential election.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
TSN's hockey telecasts sucked this year as well. Used to be better but they've really gone down hill. The last couple telecasts with Miller and Ferraro were abysmal commentary.

Looks like one less channel I need to be paying for..

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
TSN's hockey telecasts sucked this year as well. Used to be better but they've really gone down hill. The last couple telecasts with Miller and Ferraro were abysmal commentary.

Looks like one less channel I need to be paying for..

Even if that's true I still only watch sportsnet when I absolutely have no choice. They are the poster children for 2nd rate sports media hacks, IMO.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Sucks to hear about TSN. It's going to be brutal missing faceoffs for the next 12 years due to Sportsnets' ineptitude.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Watching Sportsnet for hockey is like watching A-Channel for news. :shakehead gdammit

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Even if that's true I still only watch sportsnet when I absolutely have no choice. They are the poster children for 2nd rate sports media hacks, IMO.

tbh CBC, TSN, Sportswest have all been equally bad this year and last. Maybe some amalgamation of resources might make for some improvement. A guy can hope. But seriously this just means one channel I can cancel. I don't mind the idea of two hockey carriers instead of 3, All the games will continue to be telecast I imagine.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
So what does this mean for the HNIC 'classic' theme!?!?

If CBC was smart, they'd pick up guys like McKenzie and a couple other of TSN's best hockey commentators, and get rid of the crap like Healey.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So what does this mean for the HNIC 'classic' theme!?!?

If CBC was smart, they'd pick up guys like McKenzie and a couple other of TSN's best hockey commentators, and get rid of the crap like Healey.

I could never really accept this being for sale anyway. Some things just should be tradition and that was one of them for CBC. Thats Canada TV heritage right there and I couldn't abide TSN having it.

Never much liked the Toronto Sports Network anyway. I suspect there will be less Raptors, Blue Jays I have to turn the channel on now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad