FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.23 | post trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yup. Flat out, not good enough.

I am confident more are coming though.

If not at the deadline, at the draft IMO

I only have hopes that Lupul and Bozak will be dealt tomorrow ... Small hopes right now :laugh:

Would be nice to see some late round picks gathered for Booth and some other low end pending UFA's

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why would anyone be in a rush to move Reimer?

I hope Lupul and Bozak get moved, but I doubt it now.
$2.3 million back-up who won't get a chance to start here.

Not much use keeping him around.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
There is word out on the twitter network that teams want leafs to retain some salary... you think leafs would retain salary to move Phaneuf?

No, they clearly won't be retaining money for 7 years.

I'd rather wait it out and take a lesser package in the offseason than commit to retaining a % of that contract for the next 7 years.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There is word out on the twitter network that teams want leafs to retain some salary... you think leafs would retain salary to move Phaneuf?
Depends on how much and what it does to the return. I'd prefer to take on a bad contract (shorter length) instead.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Bozka, Reimer, Lupul? Phaneuf is likely an offseason thing, or Detroit is going to have to find a way to make it work involving guys like Weiss and Kindl coming back (no retention).

Lupul/Bozak still make some large salaries. A team would really have to ante up, I don't see their being significant interest from multiple teams.

Reimer/Bernier could be an easier asset to swap given current salaries and marketable value.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I think if they do retain salary, it will happen in the off-season. There's no point making a deal out of pressure over the prospect of long-term value.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Boston is the only team that really start to panic, because they are missing out on pieces that they were in on.

Tampa/Montreal are playing with house money (they're good, and whatever they do is gravy but this year/next year isn't the goal is to be 2-3 years later).

this year the Islanders are such a peculiar because i think the goal was 100 percent "do not give Buffalo a top 5 pick" so they cleared that. i don't think they need to "buy" anything

Wings flat out said they're not sacrificing anything. (Holland isn't a panicker).

The goal is the cup at the end of the day. Yzerman has two first round picks in this draft and his team is the closest it's been in many years. Do you actually think he won't look at the prospect of improving? I don't buy it, Tampa needs to add defense and they'll look to the trade market.

Montreal went to the Conference Final last season and has higher expectations. The goal isn't 2-3 years when in reality they were one round and a Carey Price injury away from the Cup Final.

I don't know knowledge wise if you're familiar with the management side of value or recent transaction, however, I think I'm quite inclined to say that Holland has made some irrational deadline moves. Let's not forget Kyle Quincey and David Legwand in recent memory.

I'm not saying specific deals will materialize for the Leafs involving salary. The idea that these teams are just going to sit-back is pretty laughable. It's either you're a buyer or seller at the trade deadline it's a pretty easy concept to realize.

JMcLeaf

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 24s25 seconds ago View translation
NYR trade Lee Stempniak to WPG. #TradeCentre

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 24s25 seconds ago View translation
NYR trade Lee Stempniak to WPG. #TradeCentre

For Carl Klingberg, according to Bob.

Smart move by Winnipeg, IMO. And another team that won't come ofter our wingers, but might still be interested in Jokinen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The goal is the cup at the end of the day. Yzerman has two first round picks in this draft and his team is the closest it's been in many years. Do you actually think he won't look at the prospect of improving? I don't buy it, Tampa needs to add defense and they'll look to the trade market.

Montreal went to the Conference Final last season and has higher expectations. The goal isn't 2-3 years when in reality they were one round and a Carey Price injury away from the Cup Final.

I don't know knowledge wise if you're familiar with the management side of value or recent transaction, however, I think I'm quite inclined to say that Holland has made some irrational deadline moves. Let's not forget Kyle Quincey and David Legwand in recent memory.

I'm not saying specific deals will materialize for the Leafs involving salary. The idea that these teams are just going to sit-back is pretty laughable. It's either you're a buyer or seller at the trade deadline it's a pretty easy concept to realize.

that's true, and they can all prove me wrong. :laugh:
i'm just going by what i'm hearing off radio and television to be fair.

but I'm just saying that some may not overpay (or pay at all) because they think they're fine. (or maybe the Leafs never doing anything has ruined me).

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Are teams allowed to retain salary for 1 year and not subsequent years? I am sure the CBA wouldn't allow that as it would be misused like crazy...but just wondering.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
please move Dion!!!! retain salary if you have to. I want this team tore down. I'm sure we can get some pretty good assets back

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

Smart move by Winnipeg, IMO. And another team that won't come ofter our wingers, but might still be interested in Jokinen.

I'm watching the Jets right now and they are thumping the Kings and now add Stepniak wow they are gonna be tough to play

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Yeah, we may also get interest for Booth if they're entire bottom line is crap...

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I wonder if we could grab one of TB's first round picks, if we sent them Polak, and retained a good chunk of his salary. They're not in a huge cap crunch, but I would think that Polak would have some value this year/next, and the cap savings would be useful for them.

I'd like to keep Polak, but I feel like if we can get a top 30 pick this year (even with salary retained) it'd be better than the likely return of a second rounder at next year's trade deadline.

TB's defense is really banged up, so I'd wonder if Yzerman is dangling one of his two firsts???

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick

Sportsnet trying real hard to drum up some interest for their TDL show tomorrow.

If the Leafs don't want to retain salary in a deal I'm pretty hard pressed to see Dion traded by the end of tomorrow. It's more of a draft day deal which is what's been said for the past few weeks now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holzer moved. Lupul and Bozak are both maybes, but I'm getting the feeling it's not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad