F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024, 6th, UTAH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I bet he's going to be the one that gets picked higher than expected. In fact, if Chicago loses the lottery I think they go with him to play with Bedard.
I can see us picking him at 3 or 4

I got Leymushunov, Dedimov and Iggy in that order after Cellebrini

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I bet he's going to be the one that gets picked higher than expected. In fact, if Chicago loses the lottery I think they go with him to play with Bedard.
Definitely agree, although I'm not sure "higher than expected" is really a thing anymore at this point. Can definitely see him being a big riser on Bob's final list whenever that comes out.

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
I could see him jumping up as high as 3rd after this performance tbh, I don't think he had such a monster showing in the tourney for a team to take him 2nd considering there are dmen and centers who are probably seen as more valuable due to how close the potential is for all these players, and the fact they play more valuable positions.

As a Flames fan I'd still take Demidov, Catton, and probably Lindstrom over him considering that if I'm the Flames I'm more worried about FWDs, but I could also take Dickinson over him. Here's hoping Flames Celebrini 2024.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Welcome to Utah!
200.webp

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn’t like this pick. Thought he was way too high for 6. Maybe if you believe he can be a center and it works that I can at least theorize it, but at 6 a winger who lacks plus size, isn’t a plus playmaker, doesn’t have plus hockey sense, and doesn’t have a true elite trait? Hard to understand. Seems like more of a top 20 pick than nearly top 5. I guess we’ll see. I hope his name didn’t factor into the pick, but it’s probably impossible to truly calculate the impact because it might be unconscious bias towards Jarome.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Didn’t like this pick. Thought he was way too high for 6. Maybe if you believe he can be a center and it works that I can at least theorize it, but at 6 a winger who lacks plus size, isn’t a plus playmaker, doesn’t have plus hockey sense, and doesn’t have a true elite trait? Hard to understand. Seems like more of a top 20 pick than nearly top 5. I guess we’ll see. I hope his name didn’t factor into the pick, but it’s probably impossible to truly calculate the impact because it might be unconscious bias towards Jarome.
Agree. Never understood why he was getting talked about in a range where you should want a superstar. Hope I’m incorrect.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
its because he is good to great at everything.

and definitely a good passer and great hockey sense.

they took him high because they want a shooting oriented matt tkachuk.

Reactions: bert

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Agree. Never understood why he was getting talked about in a range where you should want a superstar. Hope I’m incorrect.
Hampus Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Jake Virtanen
Pavel Zacha
Matthew Tkachuk
Cody Glass
Filip Zadina
Moritz Seider
Jamie Drysdale
Simon Edvinsson

6th OA from 2012-2021. So generously a 20% chance of getting a superstar and only 50-60% of getting a really good player.

I don't have an opinion either way on the pick, but 6OA should be a good player--not very likely to be a superstar.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hampus Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Jake Virtanen
Pavel Zacha
Matthew Tkachuk
Cody Glass
Filip Zadina
Moritz Seider
Jamie Drysdale
Simon Edvinsson

6th OA from 2012-2021. So generously a 20% chance of getting a superstar and only 50-60% of getting a really good player.

I don't have an opinion either way on the pick, but 6OA should be a good player--not very likely to be a superstar.
Ofc you don’t always get a star. That’s also a poor way to look at it- im sure the teams that took Zacha and Glass and whatnot would like a redo. It’s not like they’re happy with their picks. Also ignores the stars were drafted 7th, 8th, 9th and so on or discussed as options in that range.

Either way - you are definitely hoping to get core players who can deliver cups (Star players imo) with your top 10 picks. It doesn’t mean it’s an utter failure if you “only” get a solid NHLer, but it doesn’t mean you did great.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Torched team USA at the U 18's did that strike a soft spot?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Time will tell, but it was the puzzling fall of the three top tier LHD that created a vacuum that would be filled by those such as Iginla, Catton and Sennecke. I mean, no one that I know of was predicting that Silayev, Dickinson, and Buium wouldn't be picked till 10,11, 12. Some guys weren't too crazy about one or the other, but not all three, and usually not even even two of the three.

I thought all three would be picked in the top 9 or 10, with perhaps Parekh, and/or Yak being picked after that. I don't think i was alone in that opinion. I underestimated the value of a RHD to GM's.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Time will tell, but it was the puzzling fall of the three top tier LHD that created a vacuum that would be filled by those such as Iginla, Catton and Sennecke. I mean, no one that I know of was predicting that Silayev, Dickinson, and Buium wouldn't be picked till 10,11, 12. Some guys weren't too crazy about one or the other, but not all three, and usually not even even two of the three.

I thought all three would be picked in the top 9 or 10, with perhaps Parekh, and/or Yak being picked after that. I don't think i was alone in that opinion. I underestimated the value of a RHD to GM's.
I had Dickinson at 9, and called Yakemchuk at 7, but I had Silayev at 6 and Parekh at 11 and Buium at 5. So yeah, partially right and partially v wrong.

Kind of circumstantial that it went RD by ranking then LD by size, but not circumstantial that it went RD then LD.

Time will indeed tell... Over the year the "top 6 D" seemed to all develop warts and Iggy and Catton seemed to develop plot armor, and we'll see if that was an accurate assessment by the league scouts.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad