F Sandis Vilmanis - North Bay Battalion, OHL (2022, 157th, FLA)

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Vilmanis just gets better every game I watch. He is so strong on the puck, has it constantly on his stick. I could see him being a great possession driving third liner in the nhl if he is prepared to put in the work on the defensive side of his game in the A for a couple years.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vilmanis just gets better every game I watch. He is so strong on the puck, has it constantly on his stick. I could see him being a great possession driving third liner in the nhl if he is prepared to put in the work on the defensive side of his game in the A for a couple years.
3rd liner? not better than that though? you don't see him as a potential top 6 player? does he lack of stuff what is required to become a top 6 guy?
i see a top 6 guy though, but opinions :)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This guy and Murnieks. Glad for Latvian hockey. Biggest prospects since Ozolinsh and Girgensons.
Could have a good Skoda cup roster in the future with these guys, Silovs, Balinskis, Locmelis, Abols, Balcers and others.

Reactions: Kalv and Namejs

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
3rd liner? not better than that though? you don't see him as a potential top 6 player? does he lack of stuff what is required to become a top 6 guy?
i see a top 6 guy though, but opinions :)
Big body, pushing through defence, great shot, great skating, yet limited playmaking. Those are the qualities that usually attribute to a 3rd liner. There is no reason you can't play top lines and pp with those skills though. It all will depend on how his skills translate to pro hockey.
I see a lot of young Nichushkin in Vilmanis, and, ironically, Nichushkin is the one who shows that depending on different factors, you can be either a borderline star, or a meme player known for not being able to score.
People are cautious because for a 5th rounder, even making it to the NHL as a third liner is a big success. Plus, he is 20 years old, and you would expect this kind of dominating performance should a player have any remote chances of making the NHL. His true potential will be seen next year in th AHL. Currently, I am cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: Kalv

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Big body, pushing through defence, great shot, great skating, yet limited playmaking. Those are the qualities that usually attribute to a 3rd liner. There is no reason you can't play top lines and pp with those skills though. It all will depend on how his skills translate to pro hockey.
I see a lot of young Nichushkin in Vilmanis, and, ironically, Nichushkin is the one who shows that depending on different factors, you can be either a borderline star, or a meme player known for not being able to score.
People are cautious because for a 5th rounder, even making it to the NHL as a third liner is a big success. Plus, he is 20 years old, and you would expect this kind of dominating performance should a player have any remote chances of making the NHL. His true potential will be seen next year in th AHL. Currently, I am cautiously optimistic.
Agreed, I can see Nichuskin, he's reminded me a lot of Luostarinen as well, assuming he can translate to the pro game and dealing with players that have more pushback than guys in junior.

The biggest reason why I see him more as a third liner than second liner is he does lack a bit of vision on the ice, great puck skills but gets a bit tunnel visiony at times. Has great instincts tracking the puck though which I think could serve him well providing back pressure when he's more focused on his own end after some seasoning, but I am not sure he sees the ice well enough to push thru into a role on a PP unit in the NHL. Seem like a 15-20 goal/30-40 point 5 year NHL peak would be an ideal scenario to get out of a late pick for Florida. Especially when inevitably some guys price themselves out and they need to replenish their depth.

Will certainly be interesting to see him in the AHL, give him a year or two to adjust to bigger and stronger players and see if he's willing to make the necessary adjustments to his game. If not I am sure he'll get his chance to go back to Europe and crack the national team roster as he hits his prime.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I was thinking more about Vilmanis' game and one other thing I would add among his most valuable skills that could garner him PP time is he is very good at gaining the O zone and maintaining possession. He consistently finds his outlet man at the blueline and hits the zone with speed for the entry, he's more polished at it than Nelson so he tends to bring the puck thru the neutral zone on the battalion PP a lot. He upsets the fans at the games with his refusal to dump the puck in like they want but a skill like that will definitely translate well to the pros.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Vilmanis is lighting it up in the OHL playoffs this year after coming over, currently the leading scorer in the playoffs in the OHL.

He's an extremely dangerous sniper who has great hands and creativity and is a competent skater while being big enough that his puck possession is great. He hangs onto the puck and protects it with his body very well. Has one of the best wristers down low as his ability to elevate the puck without much space is very good.

Have always had an eye on him since his first WJC on Latvia and it feels like this is the first time he has been given the opportunity to step up and take on more time and responsibilities, and he has responded in an amazing way.

He's not a playmaker, but isn't selfish either, and his reflexes and reaction speed are quite good, though his vision and hockey IQ could use some work. He may not be the smartest tool in the shed but he very often gets the job done anyways with his excellent shot and puck handling skills. He's a wizard with the puck in tight.

I could definitely see him being in a top 6 role IF (and it's a big IF) he puts it together and continues to work. His skating is fine but not amazing for the NHL level, he doesn't have the top speed or acceleration to be able to break away from the defense consistently, but his agility and edge work is good.

As it is he's a complimentary player who will look good if you put him with someone able to get him pucks that he has chemistry with- otherwise I could see him being a bottom 6 player who is able to score but often leaves you wanting more. He could really be something if he improves his skating and IQ though.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad