F Matyas Sapovaliv - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2022, 48th, VGK)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Though he didn't play in many games he had really solid numbers in Czech u20 league as a 16 year old. Also played u18s championships as an underager, I'm sure he's on some CHL teams radar and I think this would be his best option. Though playing with Jagr in Czech Extraliga next season wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Looks to have Russian roots, Estonian maybe?

JustSomeGuyCZ

Apr 24, 2021
Though he didn't play in many games he had really solid numbers in Czech u20 league as a 16 year old. Also played u18s championships as an underager, I'm sure he's on some CHL teams radar and I think this would be his best option. Though playing with Jagr in Czech Extraliga next season wouldn't be a bad thing either.

If the junior league had not ended so quickly and Sapovaliv had played whole season, he would have had similar numbers as Jason Peterka when he played in Salzburg in Czech U19 league. Hopefully he will get enough space in Extraliga.

Reactions: wings5

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

Him being Russian is very unlikely, we have 150k-300k Ukrainians maybe he was born in cz by ukrainian parents.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Him being Russian is very unlikely, we have 150k-300k Ukrainians maybe he was born in cz by ukrainian parents.

Could very well be a Myklukha type situation then with with Ukrainian parents, except Sapovaliv is Czech not Slovak. We only have stats so far which look good, does anyone have a scouting report on him?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Matyas Sapovaliv at eliteprospects.com

2004 born winger from Czech republic. He didn´t play much this season unfortunately. He participated in U18 WJC this year. Next season he should be trying to get some ice time in Czech Extraliga, or he might move to CHL.
Off-topic but could you please fix the thread title? There's always "I" (not "Y") after Ř in Czech; it's pretty much the first grammar rule Czech kids learn at school and it makes my eyes hurt. Thanks!

Reactions: Nowotny

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Matyas has signed with Saginaw in the OHL for the upcoming season.

Any idea on the type of player we are getting here in Saginaw? Seems like a high upside kid.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Matyas has signed with Saginaw in the OHL for the upcoming season.

Any idea on the type of player we are getting here in Saginaw? Seems like a high upside kid.

I think I watched 10 or so games from his league team and the Czech U18 team last season, plus the U18 worlds. He’s the kid everyone said was the player to watch among Czech 04s but he disappointed me every single time. In part because of my expectations going in, but also because I didn’t think he played particularly well.

I’ll start with the positives:
I think he has big upside because of his combination of size and hockey sense. He has strong offensive awareness and vision, flashing high-end playmaking ability to set up teammates for scoring chances. He works extremely hard and has strong defensive sense as well, so I think he’ll at least be a strong two-way player.

What’s holding him back is his skating. It improved a bit throughout the year but was awful early on. He’s a tall, lanky guy and doesn’t always seem to have his legs under control. His posture isn’t great, so he lacks stride power and agility. There are tons of bad skaters in the CHL, so he’ll be fine, but it could absolutely hold him back from becoming the top-six impact player Saginaw will hope he becomes. On top of that, I just don’t think his skill level is particularly high. Maybe he wasn’t able to show much playing against men as an 04, but he didn’t look great at the U18 level (playing against players a year older) either.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I think I watched 10 or so games from his league team and the Czech U18 team last season, plus the U18 worlds. He’s the kid everyone said was the player to watch among Czech 04s but he disappointed me every single time. In part because of my expectations going in, but also because I didn’t think he played particularly well.

I think he has big upside because of his combination of size and hockey sense. He has strong offensive awareness and vision, flashing high-end playmaking ability to set up teammates for scoring chances. He works extremely hard and has strong defensive sense as well, so I think he’ll at least be a strong two-way player.

What’s holding him back is his skating. It improved a bit throughout the year but was awful early on. He’s a tall, lanky guy and doesn’t always seem to have his legs under control. His posture isn’t great, so he lacks stride power and agility. There are tons of bad skaters in the CHL, so he’ll be fine, but it could absolutely hold him back from becoming the top-six impact player Saginaw will hope he becomes. On top of that, I just don’t think his skill level is particularly high. Maybe he wasn’t able to show much playing against men as an 04, but he didn’t look great at the U18 level (playing against players a year older) either.
It shoud be said his skating was actually decent in the previous season. If the measurements on EP are correct (and they seem to be, just from watching Sapovaliv play) he has grown a lot over the past season. That probably did him no favors in that regard. He went from 6'1" to about 6'3"/6'4" in a season where he has seen very little playing time.

I understand your concerns though, he did look sluggish at the U18s. Still, I think this could turn out to be a homerun pick by Saginaw.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It shoud be said his skating was actually decent in the previous season. If the measurements on EP are correct (and they seem to be, just from watching Sapovaliv play) he has grown a lot over the past season. That probably did him no favors in that regard. He went from 6'1" to about 6'3"/6'4" in a season where he has seen very little playing time.

I understand your concerns though, he did look sluggish at the U18s. Still, I think this could turn out to be a homerun pick by Saginaw.
That’s definitely the reason and the fact that his skating looked better before the growth spurt is encouraging. But at the same time, many players never manage to improve their skating to a pre-growth-spurt level. Skating just gets that much harder the taller you grow. Fingers crossed that he manages to do it but I won’t be holding my breath.

A year ago, I think people would’ve said Sapovaliv is a top 60 candidate for the NHL draft, with a shot at the first round. Today, I think he’s more likely to be a mid/late pick. He still has a year to work on his skating and show his upside before the draft, but if he can’t do that, it’ll take a team that’s super confident in their skating coaches and development staff (Toronto?).

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My opinion is that he's a very safe type of player. 6'3/6'4, plays center, skates well enough. Not much offense. He was the weak link on the PP. Fumbled pucks, threw them away under pressure. He'll probably be a mid-rounder with his size/skating/center combination, but the rest of his game is underwhelming. If he had the offensive skills Slavicek or Kulich, he'd be picked in the first round.

Reactions: hellwar9

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks for this info, was very curious about this kid.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Also ranked 19th in the recent HockeyProspect ranking.

Starting to gain some attention finally. Not surprised, but I do wonder how high can he rise. He has everything you are looking for in a forward prospect.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He will be 3rd rounder. Czech hockey is f***ed and there is not a single sign it will get better. Corruption is just too high. Hockey is going to get replaced by much more polular floorball and MMA/UFC.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
He will be 3rd rounder. Czech hockey is f***ed and there is not a single sign it will get better. Corruption is just too high. Hockey is going to get replaced by much more polular floorball and MMA/UFC.

Don't agree that MMA will get more popular than hockey....but rest seems probable.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
What’s up with the production? He was ranked 13th overall for NA skaters but it seems like since than he’s not producing the same. In his last 10, just 2 assists and a minus 9. One positive is that he seems to be really good for face offs. He’s playing with some really good players too, Josh Bloom being one of them.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Don't agree that MMA will get more popular than hockey....but rest seems probable.
Either do I but I was excited to see that a Czech is in a UFC event in a few months! First time ever to my knowledge.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
What’s up with the production? He was ranked 13th overall for NA skaters but it seems like since than he’s not producing the same. In his last 10, just 2 assists and a minus 9. One positive is that he seems to be really good for face offs. He’s playing with some really good players too, Josh Bloom being one of them.
He is projected as high end 3rd line defensive center.

Reactions: Antiillafire

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Saginaw has played really bad lately. Bloom even played defense last game as we are down to 4 healthy D so hes down a winger.

I'm surprised hes not even more of a minus player as much as hes on the ice to be honest. Testament to his 2 way play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad