F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Question for people who know about KHL/NHL contract rules...
Can the team that drafts Demidov this summer sign him right away to an ELC starting in 25-26 after his current contract (well let's say on July 1st 2024 if need be)?
This might impact his draft position if teams can "make sure" he can't be forced to sign a KHL extension.
Sorry if previously asked and answered.
Never seen anything like that, so probably not.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
The NHL doesn't even recognize the KHL as professional hockey, so Demidov could sign an NHL deal even if he had an existing KHL contract, as far as the NHL is concerned. Demidov probably wouldn't do that, because he's not trying to piss off people in Russia for no reason. If he wants to come over after his current deal, presumably he will, and he will not sign a KHL extension. If he does sign an extension, whatever team drafts him will be in the loop, and won't offer him a deal knowing he already intends on playing in the KHL. His current deal expires Apr. 30th, 2025, so unless politics get in the way, I would assume he's coming over after that.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
The NHL doesn't even recognize the KHL as professional hockey, so Demidov could sign an NHL deal even if he had an existing KHL contract, as far as the NHL is concerned. Demidov probably wouldn't do that, because he's not trying to piss off people in Russia for no reason. If he wants to come over after his current deal, presumably he will, and he will not sign a KHL extension. If he does sign an extension, whatever team drafts him will be in the loop, and won't offer him a deal knowing he already intends on playing in the KHL. His current deal expires Apr. 30th, 2025, so unless politics get in the way, I would assume he's coming over after that.
Since his brother also plays for SKA, I would assume he stays put and finishes his contract.

For what it's worth, his agent has stated this : Demidov has one year remaining on his contract with SKA St. Petersburg and he’s represented by Dan Milstein from Gold Star Hockey. Milstein has indicated Demidov is very much looking forward to coming to North America at the end of his current contract.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

The NHL wont sign players with existing KHL contracts because it opens the door for reciprocation.
It's why both leagues signed that Memorandum of Understanding years ago.
The NHL formally cancelled it because of Ukraine, but they are still adhering to the spirit of the agreement.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
The NHL wont sign players with existing KHL contracts because it opens the door for reciprocation.
It's why both leagues signed that Memorandum of Understanding years ago.
The NHL formally cancelled it because of Ukraine, but they are still adhering to the spirit of the agreement.
Yeah, they both respect existing contracts, even if they don't officially recognize them, because as you say, it just becomes tit-for-tat.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In 2 games he had 11 points and his team won by a combined score of 20-0.

Yeah, but those just 2 games, it happens. Being on the ice for 5 goals against and +45 in 28 games, especially given they play twice as many games vs Gold Division teams is different. Kinda reminds Bobby Orr stats.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
22+35 after 28 games. Then he played 2 first games injured and scored nothing so he's basically 22+35 after 26 games. Then he played first 15 or so game with f*** it attitude because he definitely wanted to play in the KHL or VHL at the very least.

And then he calmed down and started to scorch the MHL. He's on 17 game point streak, and he's 16+28 during this streak. But what is even more ridiculous he wasn't on the ice for any goal against for last 14 games! He's +31 in these games. Given he isn't very good 2-way player, it's the epitome of what people mean when say "the best defense is offense".

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Michkov is overrated and more of a Caufield level player
How come? Michkov has always been better across comparable events (I know it's such a limited sample) as a youth player with Caufield playing in a crazy stacked cohort. I think if in 4 years Michkov is as good as Caufield is today that would be a pretty big disappointment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How come? Michkov has always been better across comparable events (I know it's such a limited sample) as a youth player with Caufield playing in a crazy stacked cohort. I think if in 4 years Michkov is as good as Caufield is today that would be a pretty big disappointment.

I don't think he's that good, he's small, not overly quick, not the greatest skater, not the hardest worker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad