F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
1+2 today and 24 points in 14 games since he got back after injury. Way better than, say, Kucherov in his draft season.
Wasn’t he the MVP of the MHL last year? I know it’s not his fault he’s playing there again but him putting up points in this league as a late bday shows nothing to me.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Wasn’t he the MVP of the MHL last year? I know it’s not his fault he’s playing there again but him putting up points in this league as a late bday shows nothing to me.

It's still the U20 league and the kid has just turned 18, and he has better PPG than last season despite playing in MHL clearly doesn't make him happy.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Looks unstoppable in @montreal s vids. Terrific speed, vision, shot, passing skills...and his IQ looks to be off the charts. Looks like a better all-round player than Michkov just based on what seems to be a bigger variety of tools. Thing is, how does dominating the MHL translate to playing in the NHL? Thoughts? I don't see anyone pumping him as a generational talent like Michkov was. I just wonder why.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Looks unstoppable in @montreal s vids. Terrific speed, vision, shot, passing skills...and his IQ looks to be off the charts. Looks like a better all-round player than Michkov just based on what seems to be a bigger variety of tools. Thing is, how does dominating the MHL translate to playing in the NHL? Thoughts? I don't see anyone pumping him as a generational talent like Michkov was. I just wonder why.

Because Michkov is obviously better. As good as Demidov's IQ is, Michkov's is on the whole another level. And Michkov doesn't shy away from physical part of the game while Demidov doesn't like it.

I'd say overall Michkov is better as goalscorer AND playmaker than Demidov. But Demidov can do both things very well, and is a fabulous skater. His skating is on par with great Soviet players of the past like Kharlamov, Makarov, Balderis.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Because Michkov is obviously better. As good as Demidov's IQ is, Michkov's is on the whole another level. And Michkov doesn't shy away from physical part of the game while Demidov doesn't like it.

I'd say overall Michkov is better as goalscorer AND playmaker than Demidov. But Demidov can do both things very well, and is a fabulous skater.
Thanks for the insights. I love Michkov and he was my clear #2 last year. But I believe he'll need to stretch that IQ of his to the limit in the NHL due to his skating . But I agree that he's a special talent. Haven't watched Demidov as closely but for some of these vids posted by montreal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I'd say overall Michkov is better as goalscorer AND playmaker than Demidov. But Demidov can do both things very well, and is a fabulous skater. His skating is on par with great Soviet players of the past like Kharlamov, Makarov, Balderis.
Great skating is one skill that almost always translates well to higher levels of hockey.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Great skating is one skill that almost always translates well to higher levels of hockey.

It translates into good NHLers, for sure. The question is whether Demidov will be a big scorer.

Like sometimes I see Alex Wennberg when I watch him. Sublime smooth but then can't find his way in traffic around the net, a weak wristshot. Is he always going to be that guy that looks like he should have a bunch of points, and rarely does?

Maybe with the recent scoring Demidov is showing some growth there.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thanks for the insights. I love Michkov and he was my clear #2 last year. But I believe he'll need to stretch that IQ of his to the limit in the NHL due to his skating . But I agree that he's a special talent. Haven't watched Demidov as closely but for some of these vids posted by montreal.

Michkov is a really good skater, it's just people don't somehow understand this. It's going to be like with Kaprizov. People used to say skating could be a problem for Kirill in the NHL. Kaprizov came to NHL, and all of a sudden it turned out skating was one of the strongest his sides.

Sure Demidov's skating looks special and drives crazy a lot of people, but Michkov just skates different. I think opponents will have big problems with hitting and holding Michkov in NA because he can change direction like there is no inertia for him. One moment he skates in one direction and in the next moment he skates in the opposite direction.

IQ translates even better, it's good Demidov doesn't have problems with IQ either.

Btw his shot is very good, just not as good as his skating, but he's just 18. I'm sure he'll improve it.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Michkov is a really good skater, it's just people don't somehow understand this. It's going to be like with Kaprizov. People used to say skating could be a problem for Kirill in the NHL. Kaprizov came to NHL, and all of a sudden it turned out skating was one of the strongest his sides.

Sure Demidov's skating looks special and drives crazy a lot of people, but Michkov just skates different. I think opponents will have big problems with hitting and holding Michkov in NA because he can change direction like there is no inertia for him. One moment he skates in one direction and in the next moment he skates in the opposite direction.

IQ translates even better, it's good Demidov doesn't have problems with IQ either.

Btw his shot is very good, just not as good as his skating, but he's just 18. I'm sure he'll improve it.
I did watch a lot of Michkov before last years draft. I 100% agree with your assessment. He does dart in and out very effectively. I guess the main knock I have on his skating is his explosiveness and top-end speed. At least from what I could tell. And that could be an issue trying to generate offense on the rush, through the neutral zone. Having said that, high IQ and/or playing with speedy linemates with set plays geared towards his strengths can easily compensate for that. I don't see him as a player that will explode through the neutral zone with the puck. But plays like in the offensive zone, coming off the boards or around the net, he's unreal because of those quick pivots he makes. I think he's going to be special player. And looks like Demidov will be one too.

Reactions: JotAlan

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Looks like a mix of kucherov and zherdev to me.
I see the Zherdev, but not really the Kucherov. Kucherov has IMO the best hockey IQ in the NHL, it’s what makes him so crazy good. Makes more or less the perfect decisions every time. While I’d say hockey IQ/decision making is Demidov’s biggest weakness, at the moment he takes a tonne of risks that don’t pan out. He is very creative, but his “bad decision” rate is too high IMO to warrant comparisons to Kucherov, who is exceptional for making almost no bad decisions.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see the Zherdev, but not really the Kucherov. Kucherov has IMO the best hockey IQ in the NHL, it’s what makes him so crazy good. Makes more or less the perfect decisions every time. While I’d say hockey IQ/decision making is Demidov’s biggest weakness, at the moment he takes a tonne of risks that don’t pan out. He is very creative, but his “bad decision” rate is too high IMO to warrant comparisons to Kucherov, who is exceptional for making almost no bad decisions.

It can be because the league isn't as good as he. When everything is too easy for you, you start playing a little bit too relaxed and risky, trying to amaze people and yourself with crazy moves. Otherwise it's too boring to score all those goals and points that come so easy.

And he doesn't just lead the league in GPG and PPG, he's +26 after just 20 games so his risky moves seem not that risky actually...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It can be because the league isn't as good as he. When everything is too easy for you, you start playing a little bit too relaxed and risky, trying to amaze people and yourself with crazy moves. Otherwise it's too boring to score all those goals and points that come so easy.

And he doesn't just lead the league in GPG and PPG, he's +26 after just 20 games so his risky moves seem not that risky actually...
Re: +/-, it’s SKA, they’ve been a dominant team for 8 straight seasons in the MH, and a good team almost always, with or without Demidov. They’re stacked, most players on the team have a great +/-.

With that being said, I do agree he’s too talented for the league, and a dominant player at this level, despite the head scratcher plays. No doubt the most talented player in the MHL, and agreed his big skill discrepancy is likely part of him frequently trying highly questionable plays (and frequently turning it over). But the comparison was to Kucherov, who has really never played this way. Kucherov was also too good for the MHL in his draft year, but young Kucherov (in the games I saw) still played his cerebral, high IQ, low mistake game, because that’s just who he is as a player. Demidov I’m sure could play a smarter game against tougher competition, but I’m not seeing the Kucherov comp. His strengths are more his standout skills, elite skating/hands/athleticism, vs. his brain.

IMO, if everything goes right in his development, he could be similar to Jack Hughes. If everything goes wrong, similar to Filatov. And if he develops sort of OK, that Zherdev comp is pretty good, though probably a rich man’s version.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Re: +/-, it’s SKA, they’ve been a dominant team for 8 straight seasons in the MH, and a good team almost always, with or without Demidov. They’re stacked, most players on the team have a great +/-.

With that being said, I do agree he’s too talented for the league, and a dominant player at this level, despite the head scratcher plays. No doubt the most talented player in the MHL, and agreed his big skill discrepancy is likely part of him frequently trying highly questionable plays (and frequently turning it over). But the comparison was to Kucherov, who has really never played this way. Kucherov was also too good for the MHL in his draft year, but still played his cerebral, high IQ, low mistake game, because that’s just who he is as a player. Demidov I’m sure could play a smarter game against tougher competition, but I’m not seeing the Kucherov comp. His strengths are more his standout skills, elite skating/hands/athleticism, vs. his brain.

IMO, if everything goes right in his development, he could be similar to Jack Hughes. If everything goes wrong, similar to Filatov. And if he develops sort of OK, that Zherdev comp is pretty good, though probably a rich man’s version.

Kucherov did a lot of mistakes on junior level, I remeber his play at WJC. I actually never expected him to become so dominant in NHL, my bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad