F Eriks Mateiko - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2024, 90th, WSH)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Latvian born forward standing at 6’4” has me intrestead. can anyone tell me about his game and if he has any potential going forward?

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021

Latvian born forward standing at 6’4” has me intrestead. can anyone tell me about his game and if he has any potential going forward?
Big, goal-oriented forward. Because of late birthday, he is 2024 draft-eligible.
Might be the next big thing in Latvian hockey. While 13p in 33 games might not be a mind-blowing result, this is attributed to a slow start, which can be expected from a 16 y.o. guy leaving his country to live and play on the other side of the globe. He had only 1p in first 13 games. Since then, he is turning it around with 12p in 19 games, including 4p in last 4 games. His production might be really good by the time he is supposed to be drafted which, combined with his size, can make him a solid prospect.
Unless something extraordinary happens, he is a lock for both U-18 and U-20 Latvian teams in this year's elite group tournaments.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This kid wasn't on my radar at all... but then I saw him ranked in the 30's on Central Scouting's list... then I saw him test well at the top prospects game at his size... then I watched some highlights of him.

Seems like an interesting player... maybe he could become a late round gem?

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
This kid wasn't on my radar at all... but then I saw him ranked in the 30's on Central Scouting's list... then I saw him test well at the top prospects game at his size... then I watched some highlights of him.

Seems like an interesting player... maybe he could become a late round gem?
I have him graded as a 2nd Round prospect. Good skating ability for a big forward with good intensity and offensive awareness. Can turn the puck over one too many times but he's still young and a massive guy learning how to be comfortable with his size.

It's weird there's a draft with so many massive players (Mateiko, Skahan, Fischer, Muhonen, Kleber) that aren't getting the hype you'd expect seeing as scouts love big players with good games.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Mateiko has definite NHL upside and I see him as an old school bottom 6 power forward. His ceiling is not high, but the risk is not high either. He's massive, great reach, good puck possession and he does have a knack for scoring goals. Solid skater, not much of a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad