F Cole Bumgarner - Minnesota Blades 15U AAA, 15U AAA (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Anyone have any information at all about this kid? He is playing and producing as a 2008 born player in a u15 league. Maybe a kid to watch.

Reactions: clevelandcane

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not first hand knowledge mind you but Puck Preps had him as their clear #1 player at the CCM 68 tournament in August which is probably the most important nationwide tournament for 14U players in the US.

Obviously he has great size and strength for his age but apparently has the skill and intelligence to match. He played a full varsity slate and was very productive for his Minnesota high school varsity team last year as a 13 year-old 8th grader.

Obviously way too early to make any conclusions but simply in terms of profile, size and game reports I’ve read - he’s potentially the big American prospect in the 2008 crop.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Echoing the post above - he has been discussed as the top dog from the '08 crop early. Was one of two 2008 prospects that played varsity hockey in Minnesota (Essentially as 8th graders), and Bumgarner even produced at a good rate (18pts in 26gp). Already incredibly poised for his age, has incredible hockey IQ, he manipulates the play like few players can - possesses a good shot, some may say Matthews-esque. Already has good size at 6'1". Things are without a doubt looking up for this kid.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Can anyone tell me more about this boy?
Projected as the best in 2008, but there are several kids producing at a higher rate than him in the same league.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
He was named the the US Youth Olympic Games roster, alongside Mikey Berchild, JP Hurlburt, Zane Torre, and the other best '08s, so I'm really looking forward to that tournament. The previous YOG roster ended up being mostly future NTDP guys, and I assume that will be the case again.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a good player, but not what was discussed above. His skating speed lacks, and thats where he needs the most work. I think he's a player with some upside though, and I think he has a better than 50/50 chance to make the NTDP for next year.

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just tendered with the Fargo Force.

He was a borderline NTDP candidate, so not all that surprising to see him go to Fargo, which is close enough to where he lives.

Probably a sign he wasn't extended an NTDP camp invite.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The amount of different teams he's played for is... interesting.
Apparently, rumors on Twitter were saying that he wasn't invited to NTDP Evaluation Camp because of the drama surrounding him (big reason why he's played for so many teams). What I like to call "Coach Dad" syndrome, where the father is far too involved/overinvested and creates a headache for every coach his son plays for.

Tendering with Fargo is solid because they've become a good organization in the USHL and it is relatively close to home. Wonder who he leans towards in the NCAA when we get to committing season in August.

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023
Apparently, rumors on Twitter were saying that he wasn't invited to NTDP Evaluation Camp because of the drama surrounding him (big reason why he's played for so many teams). What I like to call "Coach Dad" syndrome, where the father is far too involved/overinvested and creates a headache for every coach his son plays for.

Tendering with Fargo is solid because they've become a good organization in the USHL and it is relatively close to home. Wonder who he leans towards in the NCAA when we get to committing season in August.
Drama? Was this drama internal to the Minnesota hockey cult?

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It makes sense. 3 high school teams in 3 years is not a good sign
In fairness to him, Shakopee is really not known for their hockey program, and while Benilde’s program is very strong, they are also extremely education focused as a college prep school, and have higher demands than public schools in that realm. I would assume grades played an issue with the Rogers switch, though I don’t have first hand knowledge.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
In fairness to him, Shakopee is really not known for their hockey program, and while Benilde’s program is very strong, they are also extremely education focused as a college prep school, and have higher demands than public schools in that realm. I would assume grades played an issue with the Rogers switch, though I don’t have first hand knowledge.
All three of those programs are really good hockey programs these days. Seems like you're reaching for excuses but three HS teams in three years is a red flag.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think the move from BSM to Rogers is odd. Rogers and Shakopee are pretty much the same, they even tied 1-1 this year. Plus the Section 2AA that Shakopee is in is a lot stronger than the 5AA that Rogers is in.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If his dad is indeed overbearing, I'm sure the YOG provided enough tangible evidence for the NTDP to pass. Especially since while Bumgarner showed some intriguing skills, he looked like a borderline NTDP level player, which makes it easy to say no to rolling the dice if you're concerned about other stuff.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
All three of those programs are really good hockey programs these days. Seems like you're reaching for excuses but three HS teams in three years is a red flag.
It’s a red flag, but Shakopee has not produced a single player of note on their own, and the school system is generally regarded as poor compared to all surrounding cities to it. Escaping that makes sense to me, but then BSM is on the complete opposite spectrum from an education perspective and was likely a massive culture shock. I’m not a fan of flippers at all, and I’m sure the overbearing parent rumors likely carry weight, but I have a little sympathy for him and can very easily see him biting off more than he could chew there. Again, pure speculation on my part.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It’s a red flag, but Shakopee has not produced a single player of note on their own, and the school system is generally regarded as poor compared to all surrounding cities to it. Escaping that makes sense to me, but then BSM is on the complete opposite spectrum from an education perspective and was likely a massive culture shock. I’m not a fan of flippers at all, and I’m sure the overbearing parent rumors likely carry weight, but I have a little sympathy for him and can very easily see him biting off more than he could chew there. Again, pure speculation on my part.
The changing of schools to play HS hockey all the time is just a little much. If you're going to do that, just go play AAA minor hockey in Detroit, Boston, Chicago, etc and stick with one team.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How does the high school hockey school system in Minnesota work? I’m getting the feeling from what I’m reading in here that players choose a school near them that fits their hockey the best. Does it not matter the town they are from or are all these schools magnet schools where you don’t need to be from the town?

In most states you play high school sports in the local town you live in, regardless of if they are any good at that sport you are playing.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
How does the high school hockey school system in Minnesota work? I’m getting the feeling from what I’m reading in here that players choose a school near them that fits their hockey the best. Does it not matter the town they are from or are all these schools magnet schools where you don’t need to be from the town?

In most states you play high school sports in the local town you live in, regardless of if they are any good at that sport you are playing.
It's pretty much the same here, but the hockey crazy parents move their kids around by either open enrolling or even moving or even just renting an apartment for the kids in the desired district... It's only gotten more ridiculous lately.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

It’s where you live with the exception of private schools and border situations, Benilde-St. Margaret’s is a private school and where he transferred to from Shakopee High. His family would have moved to go to Rogers following that.

BSM is an extremely rigorous prep school, among the top in the nation, the school work demands compared to his previous high school would have been drastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad