Explain this 2008 trade: Steen and Colaiacovo for Stempniak

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
It’s the offseason now so I feel like I can ask this.

If this should be in the history section, mods I am sorry.

November 24th 2008

Toronto trades Alexander Steen AND Carlo Colaiacovo to St Louis for Lee Stempniak.

Please make sense of this trade at the time from a leafs perspective. This is not a leafs bashing thread.

Thanks

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just looking at Toronto's roster and it was heavy LH shots.

W: Blake (LH) - Ponikarovsky (LH) - Hagman (LH) - Kulemin (LH) - Steen (LH) - Mayers (RH)
C: Grabovski (LH) - Stajan (LH) - Antropov (LH) - Moore (LH)

It was Nik Kulemin's rookie year and I seem to recall he was a well-regarded prospect. Not sure if Steen lost time as a result. Colaiacovo seemed to be a tweener and found a role in St. Louis.

Maybe reminds me of Anaheim indirectly swapping Kyle Palmieri for Carl Hagelin at the 2015 Draft. Palmieri was behind Perry/Ryan, so the thought was that they were swapping a 3RW for a 2LW. Didn't quite work out.

So perhaps the Leafs thought the same that they were adding a 2RW in Stempniak.

1999 Devils were also mostly LH shots, early in that season Lou swapped Brian Rolston for Claude Lemieux. And last year's Devils were similar, part of the reason they swapped out Yegor Sharangovich for Tyler Toffoli so they could have a RH shot up front on the PP.

Edit: Quick peek at the spring 2008 THN Future Watch and Kulemin was the #24 ranked prospect league wide. Looking at some of Steen's final games as a Leaf and he was dipping below 15 minutes in a few of them.

Wingers: Kulemin (16:31), Ponikarovsky (16:27), Hagman (16:14), Blake (14:09), Mayers (13:32), Steen (11:53), Hollweg (7:16)

In Stempniak's first game as a Leaf, he posted 17:16.

Last edited:

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Looking at db it makes sense. Steen is 7 years post draft, settled around 40 points a year, in a ridiculous slump(4pts in 20games), Colaiacovo is 8 years post draft, barely hanging in the NHL, lots of AHL stints, basically given up in him at this point. Then St Louis offers you Stempniak who's had 52pts, 38pts and now 13pts in 14 games to start the season and you have nobody at RW2? Seems like a no brainer for the Leafs. Then Steen becomes a stud, Colaiacovo figures it out for a few years and the leafs look like a bunch of fools.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Which he kinda was to be fair. The Blues board's annual injury thread is usually named the Colaiacovo Report
Yea, they were mostly right. He wound up developing into a decent defenseman but still only lasted a handful of seasons - insert infamous GIF here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: thewookie1

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Looking at db it makes sense. Steen is 7 years post draft, settled around 40 points a year, in a ridiculous slump(4pts in 20games), Colaiacovo is 8 years post draft, barely hanging in the NHL, lots of AHL stints, basically given up in him at this point. Then St Louis offers you Stempniak who's had 52pts, 38pts and now 13pts in 14 games to start the season and you have nobody at RW2? Seems like a no brainer for the Leafs. Then Steen becomes a stud, Colaiacovo figures it out for a few years and the leafs look like a bunch of fools.
There it is.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Yea, they were mostly right. He wound up developing into a decent defenseman but still only lasted a handful of seasons - insert infamous GIF here.

Done ……. :sarcasm:

1719398650663.gif

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad